What do you store water in?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ginnie5, Oct 16, 2006.

1. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

for drinking? I've been stocking up pretty good on canned/dry goods. But water would be an issue. Once I get a handpump it won't but until then I'd like a low cost way to keep drinking water.

2. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

The well :(

We're planning on moving our pump to solar power but until that happens, if we were out of power for an extended period of time, we'd be hauling water up with a bucket (and getting the water dirty in the process). We have filters to filter it once hauled up.

3. YoungOne

YoungOne Well-Known Member

55 gal poly closed top poly drums. I have three set up at my dad's so that if he waters the trees it fills fromm the bottom of the first into the top of the second into the bottom of the third and then comes out a hose from the top of the third. this keeps the water as fresh as possible without having to use any chemicals to "preserve" it.

Probably $75 bucks in valves and backflow preventers but it means fresh water if needed.

4. belladulcinea

belladulcinea Well-Known Member

I use a combination of pop bottles and store bought gallons. They have had a good sale on them recently. We also collect rain water in barrels and I am going to buy a 500 gallon water tank from the farm and ranch store for more storage.

5. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

on the 500 gallon..how do you keep it from getting that green algae stuff in it?

6. YoungOne

YoungOne Well-Known Member

Either constant swap (my theory) or chlorine (bleach)

7. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

We keep our water in the well. It stores real good down they-ah.

When the 'tricity is working the pipes are pressurized and you jist open a faucet and water comes right out, otherwise you gots to pump on the handle a bit and fill a bucket.

:)

8. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I store water in empty pop bottles,because they're cheap and they hold up better than milk jugs. Put a few drops of bleach in each bottle.

9. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Aint technology wonderful?!?!?!?!?!?

10. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

nearby ponds and the rain clouds. I am in wet (usually) Alabama and have a water filter I will use on standing water (including in our tubs and pool) and stream water if city water/elec for well go out.

11. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I drink bottled water and keep several cases on hand. I refill the empties and keep the refilled bottles in the freezer. Serves two purposes. 1. If electricity goes out, it keeps the freezer from defrosting as quick. 2. When the bottles thaw, they are fresher and can be used as drinking or washing. I also have a hand pump that can be attached to the well. I hope to drill a new well soon and put the hand pump on the old well. I also have a gen so can use it to pump water when the electric is off (which happens quit often around here.)

12. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

2 liter pop bottles. As the freezer empties we add the pop bottles to keep up the volume so the freezer runs less and if the juice goes off, helps keep it cold longer before we fire up the generator. If we run out of bottles under the sink, can pull one out of the freezer for water and ice.

13. Ode

Ode Well-Known Member

You can find collapsible 5 gallon plastic water containers with a spigot in the camping section of Walmart. Generally the containers sell for about 5-6 dollars each. I like these for drinking water, and they have a carry handle too. If you want to spend a bit more, you can get hard plastic containers there instead.

I keep a few filled and change the water monthly to keep it fresh. I keep a dozen stored for emergency use that can be filled fairly quickly.

As for other water (bathing, flushing, cleaning) you can buy water barrels or get large trash barrels when they are on sale. These can be filled with water to use for that purpose and come with a lid to keep out dust and critters. Not safe for drinking or cooking, but perfectly acceptable otherwise.

14. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

I use the gallon jugs that I get distilled water in (for the battery bank)
    The well pump feeds an unpressurized 350 gal holding tank.
    The pressure pump is fed from the big tank.....then to the house.
    I store several gallons just in case one of the pumps were to go out..........the time to get a replacement installed.

A couple times a year I 'shock' the big tank with some nasty clorine.

Do NOT use milk jugs for 'drinking' water.
    They could be used for 'flushing' water tho.

15. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I have a gallon of distilled water that has not been opened. It has colapsed into itself. Has anyone else had that happen?

16. beorning

beorning Well-Known Member

Five gallon plastic jerry can that we use for camping a few times a year stays full year round.

1 1/2 gallon cranberry juice jugs. Handy size and comes free with the juice.

1 gallon glass cider jugs that see double duty as small batch wine fermenters

6gallon plastic bucket fermenter and six gallon glass carboy, when they arent seeing use for wine making or brewing.

We also have a five gallon pet waterer that is kept full for the dogs and cats.

17. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

SOS emergency supplies has water barrels-blue food grade and preserver for 5 years.
    A British Berkey (Lehmans) is also handy to filter water.
    motivated