What do you spend on food in a month?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by RedneckPete, Feb 17, 2005.

1. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

My wife and I, with three kids, (one more on the way,) spend $350.00 a month on food. Everyone I have talked to thinks this is very low. What do you folks spend?

We don't buy eggs or red meat, as we have layers, pigs and all the deer we can eat. (The police phone me for the roadkills, city slickers hit them and then call police to either shoot the animal or to make an insurance claim. Sometimes I have to wait for the cops to show to shoot the thing.) The vegi garden is more for fun then actual production, I have never been able to invest a lot of time in it when in season produce is so cheap I could never grow it for that price.

How much do you spend?

Pete

2. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

30-40 bucks, less if I hit the food bank. (they owe me, they [municipality] forced me to buy their sewage services at 60 bucks a month when I had a perfectly functioning septic system, so the [really fitting explitive] 's can feed me. for the record, I'll wager there is better food served in prisons than the canned swill they give to the needy... no wonder people are sick and ill all the time.
    (have you ever tasted canned spagetti-o's? BLECH the cats wont even eat it but if I'm tired, I deal with it.)

if I dont use a foodbank, I still can get by on @35 bucks.
    thats one person, with a full larder of meats and veggies.

now the horse, he eats $100 worth a month, the donkey eats significantly less, the dogs eat a $20, the cats eat another $20 (and mice, so they stay).
    so if they were kids... we all eat @200 a month LOL

3. Melissa

Melissa member

Is that in American dollars?

My goal is $10 per person per week. We have six people, 2 adults, 4 children ages 11-18. I count all food purchased, vegetable plants and seeds,canning seals, chicken feed, any meals eaten out or pizza ordered etc... as well as bulk purchases, stock ups, butchering costs (rare, we do it ourself most of the time) really every penny it takes us to feed ourselves. I try to spend less and still have a good stock on hand. Right now I have about 8 months food supply, and I have spent between $50-60 average a week for the last 4 years.

4. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

We have a family of 4. I spend usually about 200/month including hubby's snacks & pop at the gas stations.

We have all our own meat & eggs, and most of our own veggies.

5. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I spend about $125 per week for the 5 of us. I shoot for $100 and I often make it, but sometimes I spend $150.

It would be less if I were not a diabetic.

I must eat more protein than I really want to eat, but I eat it because it stabilizes my blood sugar. And, the days of eating a lot of homemade bread and butter with milk on the side are over, too. If I need a hearty snack I must add protien.

I also cannot make a meal of sweet corn, salad, and tomatos any more.

I spend about $20 more per week than I used to because I had to change my eating habits, and of course my family changed eating habits along with me.

6. ChuckinVA

ChuckinVA Well-Known Member

i'm sorry to say this is one area we are terrible at. We spend for a family of 4 about 550-600 $ a month. The junk food and chips are the culprits but we do eat at home 5 or 6 nights a week and take lunches to work and school.

7. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

For our famiy of 7 along with 4 dogs and 1 cat we roughly spend $700 a month. I only shop 2 times a month and I usually spend $350- each time. This includes dog food and cleaning products as well as regular food. Every other month it goes up a couple of hundred because we bulk shop at Sam's. Usually meat and frozen veggies that can't be bought fresh. Milk and eggs are also much cheaper there.

I've been told that we spend alot and I've been told we don't spend enough...guess you can't win them all :) I'm not a brand loyal person..there are a select few items that are name brand that I will not do without. I tried the off brand wasn't happy with it and since I'm eating it or using I should at least like it. :) I"ve also been told that if I would only tweak things here or there I could get away with spending a whole lot less. The funny thing is..I don't have a problem with my grocery bill and I've never asked these well meaning people for their advice on the subject. lol They can't understand why I buy some of the things I buy..from dog food to laundry soap to coffee. Maybe they're bored :)

I guess I should add that we also eat out several time a month and it usually averages out to another 250-300. My 5 kids can eat! lol
    kppop

8. Nik

Nik Well-Known Member

Ugh, after reading the previous posts I realize how much work I have cut out for me. My wife and I along with the three kids are usually in the 600.00 a month range. Hopefully it will go down once we can get settled into our new place.

Nik

9. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

$400.00 per month for two adults and two children.

That's everything, and in Canadian dollars.

Tracy

10. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I probably won't be much help because:
    1. I'm single.
    2. I don't shop every month

One thing that can greatly cut your grocery bills is to make things from scratch. No prepared foods. Makes a big difference.

You can also shop at discount stores. In my area they have one called Aldi Foods. It is a bare bones self service store with just a basic selection of store brand or generic food. Most of it is just as good as name brand. You have to bag your own groceries and it isn't a fancy store. They do occasionally have name brand stuff if they get some sort of deal on it. They have limited produce but what they have is of grocery store quality. Their meat selection is limited and well, it is like all grocery store meat. Milk probably comes from your local milk plant and their breads come from your local bakery.

The last time I went to a regular grocery store and I spent 130 bucks. The same thing at Aldi's would probably have been less than half that.

They have free government food handouts around here sometimes. You get a great big load of food for a few dollars or sometimes for free. I would never buy or take any of their food not only because I want nothing to do with charity or handouts especially from the government but I also might be taking the food from a child or elderly person who really needs it.

On a related note, one thing that just infuriates me is when I am in the grocery store checking to see if I have enough money to buy cheap hamburger and milk I get behind a welfare queen at the checkout. I remember once I had just got off from a double shift and I was waiting behind this woman that has a cart fill of convenience food, name brand stuff, junk food, fresh strawberries in January and cuts of meat that I couldn't afford and she pays with food stamps. She had a half a dozen filthy ill behaved squalling brats dragging behind her that you could pretty much tell had a couple of different fathers. Her hairdo, clothes and customized talons on the tips of her fingers probably cost more than the truck I was driving. I had just worked a double shift and had to be at my next job in 4 hours so I can support this breeding leach. She finally waddled off and attempted to round up her brats by screaming at them and I exchanged knowing glances with the checkout girl. As I walked through the parking lot to my truck I saw her get into a freaking Cadillac. Now it wasn't a new one, it was an old one. It had been fixed up though and had rims on it that would have paid my house payments for 6 months. I think when I crawled through the passenger door of my truck (the drivers door didn't work) and sat there watching my tax dollars drive away I thought "I'm working 3 jobs to support that?" I think it was at that point my utter disgust and hatred of the welfare state really began.

11. CarlaWVgal

CarlaWVgal Well-Known Member

We spend $100 a week, 6 people (4 kids age 8 and under) 1 dog, 1 cat, 1 bird and 16 chickens :D I could lower it if I could get away from diapers and pull-ups. They add about $10 a week. Right now I am also buying canning jars whenever I see them, or seeds. The total is still the same, but hopefully next year will be lower if I use all those canning jars! This total is also for all cleaning supplies etc.

I wish I had a dairy cow, almost a third of what I spend is on dairy. But with the cost of feed and all the time it would take, from milking to actually making cheese and butter, I guess I shouldn't complain.

Summer time the bill goes down since we eat so much from the garden. I swear my ds and I could live off tomatoes for several months!

Carla

12. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

For my husband and I and 4 kids, I spend $300 a month. And my husband just gave me a raise :) It used to be $200 a month!!!!!! Not easy, but very doable if you make everything from scratch and put a lock on the refrigerator LOL

From time to time my husband will order a 1/4 cow from the co-op and that makes it really easy for me to hit my budget.

This does not include cleaning supplies, paper products, household items or diapers. We go to walmart or the like once a month for that stuff. The $300 a month is food only. Once the garden comes in I should not even have to spend that much.

13. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

My, my, I'd hate to see what you'd write if it had been a NEW Cadillac! :haha:

I understand where you're coming from, but come on now...don't you think that's maybe just a little bit harsh? :eek:

14. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

We grew our own baby beef this past summer on goats milk. My goats cost about $60 a month in winter. Less in summer

We bought 200lbs of potatoes for $20 in Nov... and grew alot of our own vegies for canning and freezing...canned 100q of tomatoes and can and froze 30q of green and yellow beans...I have fiddleheads we picked and froze...blueberries we picked and froze

In Sept I bought 2 bushels of apples to can freeze for $20.

Not shopping this month....buying a dog and 20cord of wood (OUCH!)

I shop at a liquidation store for the most part....a 16oz can of baked beans is .37 cents for example...the same thing is almost $1 at grocery store. The kids snacks are also very cheap there.

My guestimate would be $150 a month from flour to toothpaste for a family of 5. We eat out less than 3 times a year

I bought seeds at Henry fields when they had grab bags for $10....very pleased!
    Canning jars at yard sales...lids about $10 a year. I also spend about $30 at the greenhouse for my tomato and pepper plants. I also got seeds free from GRIN....

When we had to buy meat I bet we spent around $300 a month. I like a nice steak on the grill at least once a week....

15. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

$200.00 a month...two adults, one child. We don't eat meat, so that helps.

16. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Quint...

I used to work at the grocery store and you are right on about the welfare queens!

We had some buying lobster, quayhogs, filet mignon, gourmet frozen pizza etc...

I can honestly say that inthe 8 years I worked there I NEVER saw any of them buy 25# flour, sugar, beans or rice....and they are home all day so yes they do have time to cook. I think welfare should be more like the WIC program where you can only buy what is printed on the check....eggs, cereal, milk and juice and peanut butter and cheese.

All those welfare folks ate better than all the single moms I worked with...it was sad.

17. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

I agree..there should be coupons or something of the sort to regulate what can or can't be bought. If they don't like it they can stop having kids they can't afford and get off of their butts and get a job.

In Floirda you can only collect benefits for 2 yrs and they will only pay for the children you have when you sign up. If in the next 2 yrs you pop out one or two more..you're on your own. Too many ppl look at the these kids like $$$..(foodstamps and welfare.)..the kids are getting the short ends of the stick here.

In Fort Myers Fla there is such a problem of 3-4 generation families living together in a 2 bedroom govt housing...it's sick...this the typical family...the youngest is a baby, that's baby mother is 15, the grandmother is 30, the greatmother is 45 and the great greatmother, 60 if you are lucky. They are crying the poor card and that the can't find a job..what a crock of bull...there are jobs left and right in Florida..anyone who says they can't find a job there is lazy pure and simple.!! Now times that one family by the other 100 or more families living in the same project...that's alot of mouths for your taxes to be feeding.

When my dh was manager in Florida he had a guy come in and apply for a job. It was a truck driving position..paid at that time $14 an hour, full benefits, 401K , profit sharing. This guy said he would take the job only if he was paid under the table because if the welfare office knew he had this job they would cut of his benefits and he would lost his section 8, food stamps, and other govt assistance he was recieving. He had several (4 I think) kids and his youngest girl, age 16 had 2 kids. Mom ( or grandmom for that matter )didn't work..the kids didn't work even though they were old enough to..why should they when the govt is handing out free money!

Welfare was not designed to be a lifestyle and yet ppl are making it one. It's sick just sick.

kppop

18. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

hi

as we don't have a diary cow or milk goats yet, we spend $70 dollars a month for 8 gallons of goat milk and 8 gallons of cow milk.

of course, that is our entire dairy bill, except for butter. i make all of our yogurt, cheeses, etc.

aside from the milk bill, i occasionally buy some organic citrus or apples, banannas.

a couple of times a year we buy grain in the 50 pound bags for bread making.

it's hard to estimate on a monthly basis. excluding the costs of seeds to grow our vegetables, but including the bushels of apples and peaches we buy from the farmers market for canning, i would estimate we spend $1,000 a year total for our food needs.

debbie

19. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I can not imagine spending $600+ a month on food. I just don't get it. Wouldn't you be happier bringing the amount way down, so you could be home with the family more?

I'm only feeding me and a lot of critters; 4 goats, 2 sheep, lots of chickens, ducks, a couple rabbits, 4 dogs and 5 cats. I don't eat meat. I spend about $75 a month on me, and $100 a month on them (less in summer for all of us). I grow a huge garden, purchase dried beans in bulk, bake whole wheat bread, etc..

20. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I don't.