What do you see out your back window?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by New Mexican, Aug 5, 2004.

1. New Mexican

New Mexican Well-Known Member

Thanks to OUVickie for this wonderful idea!!!

We see............

Immediate: hundreds of Bird of Paradise plants yearning for their "place" (we started with two!!), Desert Willow trees swaying in the breeze, hens pecking at the tiniest of insects, a mound of dirt covered with sod and a few pine trees, Honey Mesquites splashed hither and yon.....

Foreground: Chain link fence with a gate that opens onto the BLM land. A vast amount of desert plants including yuccas, mesquite bushes, rabbit bush, sand trails made my those DARN four-wheelers, rabbits scurrying about, dogs on an evening "run" (ours, when we take them out!), our "pet cemetery" way out yonder. It's decorated with a rock cross "ready" for our four dogs. The first one will probably be Rosie, the 15 yr old Doberman :no:

Beyond: The tale end of the Continental Divide, called the "Franklin Mountain Range". Cars "flying" across the Anthony Gap through those mountains, to the northeast, the backside of the "Organ Mountains" (yes, they resemble organ pipes), a very tall radio tower to the southwest, the bluest skies you've ever seen, the most magnificant sun sets you've ever seen. At least I've ever seen being from New Jersey, that is!! The best part......absolutely NOTHINGNESS!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Couple Sheds and Miles and Miles of Hills,Hollers,and Oak Timber.

[​IMG]

big rockpile

3. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

A quanset recently painted, a barn that needs painting, a pole barn and a series of corrals with windbreak fencing, an alley way for loading and sorting and a loading dock (actually two) for putting cattle in a semi or trailer. Beyond that are shelterbelt trees, an owl hooting and some pheasants settling down for the night. The yard contains a windmill tower, a cultivator being dismantled with a torch to load for the dump and (sigh) a bale mover waiting for me to move bales.

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

[​IMG]

Sometimes I get a treat and see wild turkeys, deer, squirrels, a fox, etc. out the window.

5. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

6. greg273

greg273 Well-Known Member

...my backyard is an old fencerow of osage orage trees, beyond that is a farmers field, beyond that a road sits about a 1/4 mile away. Out the front is a heavily overgrown pasture, with a few young trees just beginning to throw some decent shade on the yard. Ash trees, i believe. Down the hill runs my driveway, it leads down the bridge across the creek. My cabin sits at the top of the creek valley,in the former field, and is surrounded by a mixed hardwood forest containing a lot of oak,hickory,walnut,ash,and elm trees. There are a few scattered red cedar trees, which i've always liked for some reason. Maybe i'l plant some by the house.

7. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

let me think um the kids play structure, my garden the picket fence, the horse stable and rear padock, the front pasture and the trees around the pond, my easterly neighbor and the road. I'd take a picture but its dark! (so i guess I see dark at the moment!)

8. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

9. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Out our back porch we see a couple thousand square feet of mixed wildflowers that my wife, WInd In Her Hair, planted from seed this spring. It is beautiful...a wonderful collage of colors, bumble bees and hummingbirds! Beyond that is a big bluestem meadow that is framed by red (Norway) pine trees.

10. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Out my back window I see pasture that's greening up and ready for the goats and sheep again. Behind that is a band of timber that runs back to Maple Creek - we leave it be because its incredibly boggy through there, and I like to watch the critters that live in there. Rising beyond the creek is Black Mountain, which is DNR land and logged extensively - but no one will ever be able to build anything on it.

The hay I need to finish loading into the barn, the garden I need to weed, the critter barn door I need to reinforce (again)... All that's out the front window. The trees I need to water and hit one more time with sulphur before harvest are out the side window.

11. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

A typical small town back yard with a huge vegie garden in it. A barn on one side. Beyond the back property line is several hundred acres of woods. Someday those woods will end up being a housing development. Because, they are owned by the builder that built a tract just beyond them. Hopefully I'll be on my homestead by then.

12. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

"Rolling" cow pasture -- that's a euphemism for too steep to use for anything else but grazing; then high tensile fence, then a field of alfalfa, then a wheat field, then a corn field, then cottonwoods along the YEllow Creek, then another wheatfield, then the neighbors woods.

Right in our backyard is all the debris that small children love LOL

Ann

13. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

:( Our vegetable garden and beyond that..............the back of our neighbors house....................<sigh>...........oh well not for long. The land will be paid for in December and we will be building next spring (Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, as Grandma used to say) I can't wait. :)

14. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

I see the horse pasture, which DH is almost done brushhogging. Where he hasn't mown yet it's filled with Queen Anne's Lace, very pretty. Beyond that is Sanford Creek, then straight up the hilly woodlot that is filled with hemlock and hardwood. The entire hill is a lovely mixture of green, but soon it will be a riot of color-crimson, yellow and orange. Right next to the cabin is my vegetable garden-waist high tomato plants, lovely brussel sprouts, snow peas, pole beans, far too many squash plants, and melon runners. It looks great this year...some years it's not so great. A small grouping of apple trees is up the way a bit. To my right are many Christmas trees-blue spruce mostly, where the deer like to sleep. There's a logging road that bisects them and runs the length of the property-across the creek and up the hill.

To my left is the barn, which is covered in wild grape vine, the small mare/foal paddock, and the gate to the big pasture. The chickens will be all over this area in an hour or so when I open the coop. They keep the area under the grapevine and wild raspberry bushes cleaned up with their scratching. Past that is the hayfield that has been allowed to overun and is no longer useful to make hay. Someday, it will be viable again. Between the barn and the road there is a very old apple tree. The apples are small and blemished but the horses, goat, and chickens love them. We've seen deer under the tree eating downs late at night.

If you walk straight through the barn there's my compost/manure pile, it's getting rather big but I keep it looking nice by growing winter squash on it. I've never grown acorn squash as big and pretty as I do on that pile.

In front of the cabin and barn runs a large semi circle driveway, makes moving trailers and hay wagons a breeze.

That's Kincora Farm...

Stacy in NY

15. tonto

tonto Well-Known Member

I'm in California, inland a bit from Monterey Bay, so everything is brown here.

Out my backdoor I see Oak trees, Eucalyptus and the occassional fox and hawk.

Out my front door I see wild turkeys down the hill, turkey vultures, our English
    Walnut tree, the pump house, garden shed and the garden. The garden is about
    the only green thing (other than the trees). It's doing very well this year. The
    tomato plants are about 5 feet tall, with lots of green tomatoes, but no red
    ones yet.

-tonto

16. bare

bare Head Muderator

Whoa, you had to ask!

[​IMG]

17. bare

bare Head Muderator

If anybody could tell me why my picture doesn't show up, I'd appreciate the help.

18. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Nice bear photo!!!!

You are missing a colon and some dots.

I'll post it for you....you owe me one....next time copy and paste the link. Now go put some clothes on!

[​IMG]
    Bare's Bear Photo

19. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I just HAD to open this thread while the ducks were fornocating in the wading pool........., besides this, my turkeys, chickens, a yard that never gets mowed, my small hardwood lot, a collapsed barn, lazy fat flies, more junk cars than I want to admit, weeds too tall to see the gardan behind..... in other words, "paradise"

20. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Out my back door I can see one of the poultry barns, the rabbit cages, an ocassional wild critter, and miles of mountains and trees.