What do you pay for weiners?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by John Schneider, Sep 12, 2005.

1. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

I am just trying to figure out what a good price would be for purchasing weiners. I was surprised to talk to one breeder who quoted me $175 each. Of course that is Canadian. He was willing to deal, but this seems ridiculous to me. They are a rare breed mind you...the Lacombe. What are some prices out there for weiners of other breeds?

2. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

$40.00 Good Eating!

3. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

About .79 cents a package on sale :)

Oh.....you mean weiner pigs.....hehe.......about $35-40 listed in the paper around here.

4. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter

Last year we were selling them for $50 to $55 and sold out completely. This year we sold out completely at $65. I have heard of people paying $100. I have seen ads for $75, $85 and $95 for weaners this year.

By the way, funny thing, it is "weaner" not "weiner" although you'll find it spelled both ways. The word refers to the fact that they have been weaned recently from their mothers.

Oh, all figures above are in US$. If you are talking Canadian then do the conversion. (divide by 0.72 right now I think...?)

Cheers,

-Walter

5. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Yup---me, too.
    I usually wait until they go on sale for $1.25 per package.

Weaners are about $40.oo.

6. Triffin

Triffin Well-Known Member

Weiners ..

Oscar Meyer all beef ..
    Chicago style .. yum ..

:goodjob:

Triff ..

7. hunter92

hunter92 Active Member

We are in Southeastern Idaho and we pay 30- 50 USD depending on the breeder.
    hunter92 :cool:

8. tenacres

tenacres Well-Known Member

I'm also in Southeast Idaho and paid $45 each in July.

9. ihedrick

ihedrick Can't stop thinkin'

I pay between 50-60 each for weaners and about $1 for weiners with stuff you rather not know about.

10. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I know the weaned pigs to be referred to as feeder pigs. A good rule of thumb for pricing feeder pigs (40 to 50 lbs weight) is twiced the price of market hogs per lb. IE, market hogs at $.50 per lb then a feeder pig is worth $1.00 per lb. Anything higher will put you in jeopardy of loosing money at time of sale when the pig has become a market hog..

11. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

we sell left over show pigs that have a cull factor for one reason or another as weaners and usually charge $30-60 each depending on the market.
    www.geocities.com/gonzalesshowpigs

12. John Schneider

We'll blame the spelling on being Canadian! LOL...Kinda like Cheque vs. Check, Colour vs. Color, Wiener vs. Weaner!

Sounds like $175 is a little high even with the conversion to u.s.$ This is for barn stock too. I would be expecting 40% cull in order to get my breeding stock from what I have read on pasturing hog operations. I just cannot find any pastured white hogs around here.

13. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

John,

I looked up the lacombe breed you mentioned

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/swine/lacombe/

While you might be able to get another breed cheaper but it might be worth a small premium for a local breed specifically developed for your climate.

14. highlands

Sounds a bit steep. Where are you located in Canada? Can you cross the border to get piglets? It might be worth it. We sell ours for $65 each and they are not culls but excellent weaners. Ours are white Yorkshire style pigs raised on pasture.

I don't sell culls but instead I keep all of our own culls to grow for BBQ roasters since I have low cost feed between pasture and excess milk & cheese trimmings. I have two litters that will be weaning in about a week. If you are interested in making a trip, let me know.

Cheers,

Walter Jeffries
    Sugar Mountain Farm
    West Topsham, Vermont

15. John Schneider

Ed...that is the link that I found that made me think of the Lacombe's. Even here in AB, they aren't that popular from what I have seen. I guess I am trying to go against the current a bit so I shouldn't expect a great deal of help. Everyone I have contacted that pastures hogs has dark, mixed-breeds because they are so hearty and easy to obtain. The other problem of course is that I don't want to raise hundreds or thousands of pigs either so not many of the big breeders will even take the time to sell me a handful of the breed I want. I have found this one breeder of Lacombe's and I think that you are right when you say I should pay a bit of a premium. We talked for quite a while and he seemed helpful. It would be great if I could breed a hog that was white and flourished outdoors. Might open up another market for me of brood stock if pasturing ever catches on up here.

16. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

I don't raise hogs yet, but I plan to in a year or two, and I've been reading a lot about them. I want to have a fair idea of what's involved by the time I actually undertake this endeavor ;)

Anyway, from what I've read, white hogs sunburn easily and therefore aren't as well suited for pasture raising. Also, they're not typically as good at foraging as the darker breeds.

Maybe that's why you can't find any white pastured hogs? :shrug:

17. John Schneider

No, you are abolutely right Turtlehead about the white breeds and that is exactly what I have read too. But, you cannot forget that 100 years ago or even 50 years ago there was no such thing as barn-raising hogs and there were many 'white' breeds of pigs out there. It is like most other types of livestock. Along with intensive operations, the older breeds became obsolete and in some cases, altogether endangered. Now, with a resurgance of small farms, organic production and a push to support local producers, there will be a need for these older livestock breeds that thrive under small farm conditions and still satisfy the consumer's preferences (white eggs vs. brown, white chicken carcasses vs. yellowish carcasses, etc.).

Thanks for the offer Walter...I don't think that there is a problem with border crossings anymore, but I am in Western Canada. With the cost of fuel and a three thousand mile trip, I would eat up that price difference in very short order I am afraid!LOL. If I were in Eastern Canada, I would take you up on that though.

When I get our farm website up and running I will post our progression with our breedings etc. I think I have found a good breed and a supplier for that breed, so now I will have to create my herd from brood stock and see what happens.

John

18. highlands

We have white Yorkshire pigs and they do great on pasture. Ours live outdoors year round even through our cold Vermont winters. I've never seen any signs of sunburn.

19. highlands

Ouch! That would be way-long haul! Definitely not worth it. Well, you'll just have to get some good sows going and become your local source. Demand for piglets was very high this year as well as the last three years. This year the supply was extremely tight. Time to get a'breeding! I look forward to seeing your web site when you get it up.

Cheers,

-Walter
    in Vermont

20. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

True, I'm running some whites with a spotted and a red one, the white ones get pretty pink early in the summer. DW rubs some aloe lotion on them and they love it. Calms them down, too. After a couple times it doesn't seem to bother them, tho. As for suitabiltiy, I think the whites do more 'foraging' in the ground looking for bugs, worms, etc that the darker ones. (that could be good or bad for you. Mine aren't ringed, so they do a bit of rototilling for me...)