What do you pay for processing??

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by Back2Basix, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Back2Basix

Back2Basix Well-Known Member

So its getting to that point where i can start processing some of my scovies and though i don't mind doing a few per weekend, I've got 50 running around. Called a place in Indiana and they were a little over $5 skinned, $8something plucked with skin on.

A USDA place just got certified down the road from me and charges $6.50 plucked and bagged but no insides unless you pay (which was kinda expensive) i also didn't tell them breed but can't imagine they'd charge more. I planned on skinning most of my birds but thought a few for the dinner table would be nice as roasters. Plus I'd like to smoke some duck breast and need the skin on

So what do you guys pay??

2. Alder

Alder Well-Known Member

I pay $1.90 for chickens, but they don't do ducks. Ducks and geese are more of a pain to pluck.

3. Yellowsnow

Yellowsnow Well-Known Member

I don't know of anyone around my area that does ducks for the public. Ducks are a pain to pluck even with a good plucker. $6.50 seems high to me, but again, I don't have a reference to go off of other that $1.50 for chickens.

I'd see if you could work a deal with him. Have him keep the heart, liver, feet, and probably neck, see if he would do it for $5 a bird, since he could sell those parts and make money off of them.

I'd butcher and skin as many as you can, and take the rest to him.

4. Back2Basix

Yeah not many places do duck around here. There are a few that do chickens but won't even process small breed chickens, very picky!!

5. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

We just do it ourselves

6. Back2Basix

Well i just sold 10 8-week old juveniles this morning, so that's 10 less ducks to process, 1/4 less feed, and $100 in my pocket.

Pretty successful day!!!

aart and Yellowsnow like this.