Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had someone over to the farm, and they asked me, "What do you like best about raising goats?"

No one ever asked me that, in that way, before. I paused to reflect before answering.

OK...overall, it's the smell. I particularly like feeding Sadie the LGD in the evening after another horrendous, pressurized day at work, and sitting in the barn while she eats and smelling the hay and that sweet goaty smell in there.

I wish there was enough money in it so I could eliminate the day at work part, but then again, I find that most of the really great stuff in life does not involve money.

What do you like best about raising goats?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Well I can't really reply to this yet, as I only have one, and for just over a week, but I have to go with what Jim has said. Since we have had Jaun for little over a week now he is what I most look forward to when I go home (even over my husband *he he*) All our animals are special and all have a place in our hearts, but even over my horse (I can't believe I'm saying this) there is just something about looking into to his eyes and brushing him down every evening that puts me at ease. We started taking walks in the evening, which for one I need, and secondly he needs to get that leg working again, and it's some of the best time spent. He's got me hooked and I look forward to diving head first into goat life now. I'm sure everything you all will say will confirm this even more!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I love the way they greet me. Even if I do not have food. It is like geez, I have missed you so much. Where have you been? Then when I have time I like to go out and play with them. When I clap my hands and chase Mandy she runs like heck and then turns around and runs sideways at me. She loves playing peek a boo around the big tree.

My grandaughter came over one day, she fed the goats there bottles when they were little. They remember her. Mandy was so excited to see her she took off running at her. Scared 5 year old grandchild and she took off running. Wrong think to do. LOL GOt Mandy all excited and she was going to play. Goat style. Head raised up and rearing on hind legs. Going to give her a butt. Star ran like the dickens looking behind her. Was laughing so hard she started crying at the same time. Finally she ran on a picnic table. I think she will be talking about that forever. We all were laughing so hard tears were coming to our eyes. Star (grandchild) procided to pet Mandy and then they continued to play people style.

I love my goats. They make me laugh alot.

·
Critterlover
111 Posts
Sitting in the pasture on a Sunday afternoon in the one spot on the property that has small rocks wearing a pair of gloves and toting a bucket, and having my pretty little pink and white Boer doe watch me pick up a rock, drop it in the bucket, and then having her look over the edge of the bucket to see where it went. After she did this about a hundred times she finally looked at me in her questioning way as if to say, "now what in the world are you doing this for?" The bucket was completely full before she got bored with me and the process. The horse, donkey, and wether got bored after discovering the rocks were not treats.

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
We thought about getting a few cows, but with DH gone most of the time and just now enough pasture to feed those critters, we opted for goats about 4 years ago. I think, that if at all possible, kids should be raised with animals. They learn responsibility, compassion, and all about life. They are able to interact with the goats in ways I would never let them attempt with cows. I have pictures of my 8 year old DD sitting in the goat barn with a doe lying beside her with her head in her lap. She is getting loving. If they go in the pen, here comes the 180 pound billy for his head scratches. Right there between the horns feels so good. During kidding season, they are in the pen with mama helping to clean off the newborns. They know all about the way of things in the breeding pen. I was told by DD 3rd grade teacher that she had been regaling her classmates with stories about the billy and the babies. Luckily, the teacher is a farmer's wife and took it all in stride.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I LOVE milking my goats. There is nothing more relaxing or more bonding with goats.

I am milking one of my first-ever-born here on the farm for the first time this year which makes it even more special. She was the wild child for her first two years, and I thought she would never stand for milking, but she took to it like a pro and is perfectly behaved. And her milk is delicious- she is half Toggenburg and a mixture of Alpine with a tiny bit of Nubian- I was worried we would get strong Toggie milk, but we didn't! Her two bucklings were sold at the auction last week, so now I get all the milk. Yum!!!!

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
We inherited a nanny Boer goat with the property we bought. My wife is not an animal lover, (she says), but decided that 'Bella' could stay on to keep the grass down. (And now, who is the one giving Bella the special treats at feed times.)

It's great to come home to be met by Bella's soft bleat, and tail wagging faster than the dog's. And our kids think she's adorable. Our kids: Bella doesn't have any - yet.

There's a Boer goat breeder living not a mile from us, who has offered the services of one of his bucks, and DW is all for it.

Umm.... That doesn't sound right, does it? YOU ALL KNOW WHAT I MEAN!

Anyway, going to have to fence off a bigger area very soon.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
There isn't much we don't like - but the number one plus is the strange calming effect they have on me. I still have city job with a hellacious commute - I get out of the car after an hour and a half, all torqued up, and one goat head leaned against me makes it all go away.

Watching the kids when they learn to jump is a close second.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have to agree with it being 'the way they greet me'. There are a number of reasons I love my goats but the number one reason for me is that I think they are THE most personable and loveable of all 'working' livestock. Even if you count the 'pet' livestock like horses I still think they top the list.

If they made good housepets I'd even put them one up on dogs and cats. LOL

·
Student of goatology.
3,132 Posts
I love sitting in the middle of a bunch of bouncing, nosey little kids. I like to put a blanket down on the grass and lay on it while the (small) kids jump all over my back for a goatie-shiatsu massage. :) So relaxing!

·
Green Woman
1,957 Posts
Fresh milk for cheese, ice cream, soap - whatever _I_ want to do with it.

Seeing a totally UNUSABLE tract of flood-plain woods with 10' high stinging nettles turned into no more nettles (you have to cut them down, but nettles make SUPERIOR hay)...

Having someone GREET you when you come home. Good or bad. Nubians bawling for attention can be annoying...

Seeing babies let out of the kidding pen with their mothers sproinking around like gazelles...

Sitting down and being snuffled on the back of your neck...

Very Zen when everything is going well... Very not when it's not...

·
gracie88
913 Posts
Oooh, hard to pick one best thing. I like how they turn noxious weeds into goat poop and milk (someday). I like their little nasally voices. I like how Shirley's back end bounces past her front end every night during the going in stampede. I like how they rear waaaay up like they are going to kill each other then connect with a light tap. It is like they are in permanent clown mode.

·
Registered
708 Posts
they are just so loving and no matter how i look (hair messed up or dirty form working all day) they still love me and want me to talk to them and pet them. they never make fun of me when im outside in my pjs at 2 in the morning with a flashlight checking on them. they love to help me weed the garden out and never complain, except when its raining.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I find that the older I get the more I've become a big softy. My wife accuses me of it all the time. I don't loose track of the various reasons for having farm animals, but I sure do care for and about them more than in my youth.
Goats are a favorite because of their incredible personalities. They seem like they have so much more on the ball than the other livestock animals. My cows live a great life, but they sure aren't capable of interacting like our goats do. We have Nigies and the little Nigie buck is our best buddy in the barn. He can't get enough scratching and interacting and I find that to be a very comforting feeling.
Great animals these goats....

·
Turkey Wrangler
5,193 Posts
I love my nubian baby girls so much- the way they frolic and jump - the way they holler for attention - the way their little tails wag!

I LOVE the way a goat barn smells! I can't wait to get more and have that smell myself!

·
Registered
455 Posts
What I like about them is also what I *sometimes* DO NOT like about them....

That I never know what they are going to do next, even after 3 years. So curious, so mischievous, so downright devious sometimes. Seems like every day they figure out how to tear up something that I thought I had finally goat-proofed.

Not at all funny at the time, but makes for a good laugh after it's all over, and things surely don't ever get dull.

Our goats must be spoiled, definitely no calming effect here.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts