What do you know about Hoosier Cabinets?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Trevilians, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Trevilians

Trevilians Well-Known Member

I recently found an old Sellers brand hoosier cabinet with several layers of paint and years of grime on it. It definitely couldn't be used in the condition it was in so I started refinishing it. While stripping paint from the front of the cabinet doors, I discovered a really pretty stencil of a flower. Before I completely destroyed it, I had DH take a photo of it and I traced what I could in the hopes I can eventually reproduce it on the finished product. I have seen pictures of other Sellers' cabinets with different designs on the doors. Does anyone here know anything about these cabinets? Do the stencils indicate a certain model? I'm hoping to try and use this info to help date the piece. My design is a simple flower inside an oval. The flower is sort of a daisy design except the petals are red. Any clues?

2. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Does it have the flour sifter, sugar storage, bread storage tin drawer, place for silverware, spice racks ect. Im guessing they first came out in 1915. but thats only a guess. Maybe a firm year will elicit sombodys reply with better knowledge. I have 2 of them. both made different. One with one sliding drawer, that goes up and down, one with 2 sliding drawers that come in from the sides. One with flower sifter, one without. The one with flower sifter has a tin bread drawer. The other dosent. The one with the flower sifter has a thin drawer for silverware, ect. The other dosent. The one that dosent have these things has 2 mirrors in it. There both different, and i think of different ages. prices and manufacturers

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

i have one with the flour sifter, tin slide out top and tin drawers plus two mirrors and a rollup middle door. was my grandmothers, she had moved it too the wood shed in the 60's , it was left too me in the will! :dance: has hanover on a small oval badge, must be twenty coats of white! over the mirrors too! :nono:

4. Trevilians

This one does not have the flour sifter or the sugar bin. It does have the metal bread box, the metal work surface, a drawer that pulls out when the bottom door is opened and the roll-up tambour door which will need some fixing. Fortunately, it only has three coats of paint, one being the original which is a grey-green. What I'm mainly interested in is finding out more about the artwork on the doors. I hope someone out there knows about it.

5. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

I think the artwork was probably added, maybe by the original owner or by a dealer selling the cabinet. I was a part-time antique dealer for 20 years and sold quite a few kitchen cabinets, and saw a few with flowers added. Some are original "Hoosier" brand cabinets, but you can buy a metal plate that has the word Hoosier on it and stick it on a restored cabinet.

6. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a "history" book on the sellers and hoosier I will look it up and see what I can find. :)

7. TNHermit

8. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

TNHermit, weren't you planning on making some reproduction hoosier cabinets?

Any more info on that endeavor? The hubby has been looking at one in an antique store for me for my birthday but I have a hard time justifying the cost.

Nikki

9. TNHermit

Thats the plan. But there pretty pricey. Just the fool bins and stuff cost over 300.00. You use to be able to get a kit from Van Dykes to build your own. then you could add your stuff as you go I guess. Wish I could make mine and get what their worth. :Bawling: :)

10. Trevilians

That's the design! The original artwork on my cabinet has red petals where yours are green, but the design is the same. Thank you so much TNHermit! I'm hoping to make a stencil of it to put on my cabinet when I finish the restoration work. I can't seem to locate any info on the Sellers company on the internet. Do you have any more info about it. Thanks again. This is great!

11. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I rebuilt and refinished a Marsh cabinet about 4 years ago,didnt take a before and after picture.I usually do on the big projects.The guy asked me how much he owed me,told him 250.00.Boy he was mad,told me to keep it!! I said ok I can get 400.00 for it now.He did pay me and took it home,guess he had second thoughts.The cabinet didnt cost him anything except my work,it was beautiful and will last many years.
    Trevilians,good luck with your cabinet,the information is out there we just have to keep looking.I have been looking for a pair of brass hinges for years,they cannot be found.
    Also refinishing another Marsh cabinet,been on it for over 3 years.It belongs to SIL she is in no hurry so I,m taking my time.Plan to finish this spring and deliver to Va beach.guess I just dread the trip.

12. TNHermit

HAve you checked these guys

http://www.shenandoahrestoration.com/Hoosier5.html

http://www.rufkahrs.com/Hardw3/hoosier2.html

http://www.architecturals.net/restore/home.cfm?page=products&SubCategoryID=40&CategoryID=37

http://www.kennedyhardware.com/catalog/index.html

13. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

$250 for a complete retoration and he was complaining? Jiminy Chirstmas, do people have no idea what good solid furniture is worth anymore?

I have a few pieces that need a little restoration and would be thrilled to find someone I trusted to do it at reasonable rates. Some people are truely clueless.

Nikki

14. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

He wanted to give me 50.00,I had more than that in restoration supplies.People just dont realize the price of hardware to go on these cabinets,and if you buy the antique stuff its out of sight.Time, I could not even begin to charge by the hour.To do a good job and do it right takes forever.I dont use paint removers if I can get it off with a heat gun.So I just charge by the job,and its worth way more than I charge.
    Thanks for the links TnHermit,I am familiar with Architecturials.net

15. TNHermit

I've got to the point that when someone asks me to refinish and how much it will cost i tell them "More than you can possibly imagine. That way we get it out of the way right off and they don' wase my time if they are not interested.
    I just had a lady call me about fixing a Windsor chair that the moving company broke the legs on. It was her mothers set. Table and both chairs were about100.00 new. I told the lady it would be 200 at least. Cause it was white and I had to take it apart and turn a new leg and redo the holes for the stretchers etc. She was going to call the moving company. haven't head from her :)
    Also had a lady bring in a piece that was suppose to be an old pantry with pierced tin doors. I told her first of all it would be 500 to get it back in shape. Second of all it was part of an old step back cupboard that someone had taken the top off, put the bottoms two drawers in and then put some doors on. she had paid 600.00 for it. she was pretty disappointed