What do you give if your animals ate rat poisoning?

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by Dazlin, Sep 24, 2010.

  1. Dazlin

    Dazlin Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    1,808
    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2007
    I tried getting advice on the pig forum, but no one read it yet.
    Last night my friends pig ate rat poisoning. We took her to ER, hopefully she'll make it.
    The only thing I could think of was a mollasses flush, or charcoal.
    The vet had us give her hydrogen peroxide to make her throw up.
    The pharmacist charged $1200.00 dollars for a charcoal solution..not kidding! We bought $200.00 worth. This is a vaulble breeding pig.
    So in the event, that any animal, or chickens get poisoned...what's a good thing to have on hand?
     
  2. cathyharrell

    cathyharrell Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    638
    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2003
    Location:
    TX
    I am not an expert but I would say charcoal too. My granddaughter put tea tree all over my cat one Sunday and almost killed her and charcoal capsules saved her.
     

  3. Dazlin

    Dazlin Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    1,808
    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2007
    Anything besides the capsules? How about making our own solution?
     
  4. cathyharrell

    cathyharrell Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    638
    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2003
    Location:
    TX
    I broke the capsules open and put them in milk and she drank them. The first two capsules I got down her throat because she was too weak to fuss.
     
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  5. fishhead

    fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    15,080
    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2006
    Location:
    northcentral MN
    $1,200?????

    For goats you just use a $1.50 carton of activated charcoal like they use in aquariums. It is also available in a paste in the horse/cattle section of the farm stores.

    They also give mineral oil to move the poison out of the gut.

    What's the active ingredient in the poison?

    My dog ate some D-con and the vet just gave her vitamin K.
     
  6. Cyngbaeld

    Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

    Messages:
    28,248
    Joined:
    May 20, 2004
    Location:
    SE Missouri
    You need to know what the poison is. Warfarin is an anticoagulant and you give vitamin K. Cyanide is not adsorbed by charcoal so you give nitrate (which can poison an animal on its own so you have to know what you are doing). Strychnine and many other things such as bacterial toxins require charcoal. Like Nathan said, get it at the aquarium supply. You can also buy medical grade activated charcoal online.
     
  7. Dazlin

    Dazlin Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    1,808
    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2007
    Can't thank you all enough!
    I will look at the label to see what poison is. So Far, she is ok, but her abdomen is swollen. But she is eating like a pig. We have her on watermelon , pumpkin pie filling, and prunes. I really thank u all very much!
     
  8. Dazlin

    Dazlin Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    1,808
    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2007
    It is D-con, and she is on Vit. K. Thanks again and again!
     
  9. suelandress

    suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

    Messages:
    4,588
    Joined:
    May 10, 2002
    Location:
    The Quiet Corner of CT
    Does vitamin K require a vet prescription, or is it the same as a peoples vitamin pill?
     
  10. Dazlin

    Dazlin Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    1,808
    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2007
    Good question!
     
  11. Cyngbaeld

    Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

    Messages:
    28,248
    Joined:
    May 20, 2004
    Location:
    SE Missouri
    Same. You don't need a script. I'm not sure the dose needed, it depends on how much of the warfarin got into her system. Warfarin works by inhibiting vit K so you need enough vit k to use up the warfarin and still have enough for normal clotting. Otherwise she can bleed to death.
     
  12. Shygal

    Shygal Unreality star Supporter

    Messages:
    9,894
    Joined:
    May 26, 2003
    Location:
    New York
    What do you do with the charcoal for a goat?
     
  13. WstTxLady

    WstTxLady Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,821
    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2009
    Location:
    West/Central Texas......Coleman county out in the
    aren't you supposed to NOT make them throw up if they ingest rat poison?
     
  14. Cyngbaeld

    Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

    Messages:
    28,248
    Joined:
    May 20, 2004
    Location:
    SE Missouri
    If the goat is eating ok, just sprinkle it on her feed. It is tasteless. If she is not eating, you'll have to bolus her. That can be a bit tricky if you've never done it.
     
  15. casusbelli

    casusbelli Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    336
    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2009
    Location:
    SW Ohio
    WstTxlady-
    I think the only time you're not supposed to make an animal throw up is when the substance is caustic (lye) and could damage the esophagus. Or a volatile (kerosene) and the kid could aspirate it into lungs. These need professionals to evacuate the stomach with equipment. But pharmaceutical poisons and regular overdoses - puke away!
     
  16. greenSearcher

    greenSearcher Another adventure!

    Messages:
    164
    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2007
    Location:
    Texas (Texoma)
    The recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for vitamin K is 80 mg per day for adult males and 65 mg per day for adult females, and 5 mg/day for the newborn infant. Natural forms of vitamin K found in foods are only about half as potent compared to synthetic version. While adequate amount of vitamin K can be obtained by consuming leafy green vegetables on a regular basis for many men and women between 18 and 44 years may benefit from supplemental vitamin K.

    That's pretty much the standard dosage. To convert this for the pig, give approximately 5 mg per 8 lbs of weight. It did say that one could not overdosed this supplement. I will say that once the poisoning crisis is past to discontinue the vit K, and the body normally maintains the balance of D/K/Cal/Mag necessary for bone and blood health.
    Good luck
     
  17. suelandress

    suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

    Messages:
    4,588
    Joined:
    May 10, 2002
    Location:
    The Quiet Corner of CT
    I also continued reading and found that you are supposed to use viatamin K1 not K2
     
  18. Voodoo-Jones

    Voodoo-Jones Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    167
    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2005
    Location:
    Indiana
    I'm a former veterinary tech (small animal) And current EMT and can tell you what to do if your dog eats warfarin for future reference. You want to induced vomiting only if the poison was ingested within 2 hours as you don't want to strain blood vessels and cause bleeding after poison has been absorbed. If it's been more than 2 hours, use activated charcoal and possibly check clotting time of blood. Give vitamin k1, 5mg per kg twice daily for 3 weeks. I'm curious, what was the dose for your pig? All other instructions should be similar.