What do you feed goats?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ShellCreekRanch, Nov 16, 2005.

1. ShellCreekRanch

ShellCreekRanch Well-Known Member

Our main purpose for goats is for the milk and I was wondering if it's OK to let them graze, or should they eat only a particular diet so the milk tastes good? There is a lot of milk weed around here and I heard that it was bad for them. Should I then refrain from letting them graze?

Also, we were considering planting a "goat" garden. Does anyone do this? I've read that it will save a whole lot on feed costs, but I always worry that they won't get enough nutrition.

Thank you for your time!

2. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

Milk weed is poisin- pull it out. Goats main feed is hay then grain for babies, exspecting does and milking does. We feed a dairy blend and add goat minerals. Graze is always very good for them too. There are many things good to grow for goats. I am not positive what they are, we feed corn stalks, carrots, comfree, pumpkin, zuccni- they love it all. They also love pine and tree, brush and raspberry bushes.

Liz in NY

3. K-Frog

K-Frog Member

Goats are meant to be browsers, like deer. MOST goats won't eat grass, as a sheep would. Now there are some goats out there who will take a pasture to the ground, but that's goats for you, they always bend the rules. Mine won't even eat grass hay. They'd starve themselves first. (Okay, truth is, they'd break out of their enclosure to browse or raid the hay barn first!)

My goats are allowed to roam the hills here, and get a rich diet in pine, various brush, and decideous (sp? Sorry, been up since 4 a.m.) trees. I have seen my goats pass up what is poisonous to them in favor of the good stuff. If there is more poisonous stuff available than good stuff, they are sure to get themselves into trouble.

That all being said, I am the only person who seems to have a problem with the milk, due to the poison oak they eat. I get itchy all over, but it subsides quickly enough. Their milk TASTES great, no off flavor at all.

4. romancemelisa

romancemelisa Well-Known Member

we feed purina goat pellets , alfala pellets, hay,(which they won't hardly touch, and this week i have given them a small amount of sweet treat (it's for the horse, i figured it would help them stay warm).