What do you do with your plastic wal-mart bags???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Wannabee, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Wannabee

Wannabee Foggy Dew Farms

Any one here have some creative and useful ideas to do with all of your extra plastic bags you get at Lowes, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc, or about 1,000 other national stores?? We save all of ours, and then I use them to pack my lunches in. Anyone have any better ideas????

2. Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny Well-Known Member

I have read instructions online on how to cut them and crochet them to make plastic dish scrubbie things, though I've never tried it.

We keep a few in the car for garbage. Used to take a couple with us when the kids were babies for used diapers.
    Used them to put the used kitty litter in so it doesn't stink up the whole house (but now we have biodegradable, non toxic flushable kitty litter).

Mostly, I try to get paper bags whenever possible, and if I can carry it in two hands, I don't bother with a bag. I can think up a million things to do with paper bags.

3. HippyChick

HippyChick Well-Known Member

I crocheted a kitchen rug for under my sink. When it gets dirty I just take it outside and hose it off. Saves on the mopping on the floors.

4. Snugglebunny

do you have instructions for that?

5. All country

All country Well-Known Member

Line small trash cans

Put kitty litter waste in them(insist on it being done 2x's a day. I don't mind the cats in the house, but I don't want to smell them.

If we have any extras we donate them to the local library they can always use them

6. hunter gatherer

hunter gatherer Well-Known Member

I have found the best solution to be not to get the bags in the first place. I either use my own reusable shopping bags or just skip the bag if it is an item(s) that I can carry easily. I also have just had the checker just load everything back into my cart, sans bags. I then take the cart out to my van and load everything into a big rubbermaid tote that I keep in the back. The rubbermaid tote makes it easier to get my purchases into the house and then back to the van it goes.

There have been times that a Walmart checker just can't grasp the concept of a customer leaving without a bag and bags my purchase anyway. In that case, I just unload the bags at the exit and place them directly into their bag recycle bin. I get some some funny looks when I do this.

I actually rarely shop at Walmart. Most of our local businesses skip a bag for smaller purchases or ask you if want a one, which I really like.

7. Snugglebunny

That...is...the COOLEST idea!! The rubbermaid tote thingy! That's cool!
    We live in a 2nd floor apt. I usually shop with at least one child, and that makes it tough for me to carry all those *lasdjkhfeuf* bags up the stairs. Buying a 'reusable' shopping bag costs money. A tote or laundry basket is the perfect solution.

8. bornanew

bornanew Well-Known Member

We save them all into a bag and return them to Wal-Marts recycle box they have for them somewhere by the front of the store. I wish everyone would return to paper bags they're a renewable source of paper and I have way more uses for them. We also use them for small trash can liners and kitty litter cleaning.

Born Anew

9. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Ohhh plastic bags are my pet peeve.....Why is it that 5 items can take 4 bags in some stores...Its no wonder we are awash in plastic. Now I do have an unusual use for all of mine. I take them to my Missouri cabin where we dont have inside plumbing and I use them to line the bucket in my disabled potty chair. When Im done I tie them up and carry them out to the old out house and drop them in. No muss or fuss. I also use plastic bags to wrap meat in the freezer instead of expensive freezer bags.

10. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I hate to break people's bubbles but I have worked in retail stores as an outside vendor. The stores would collect the bags in their eco-friendly recycling bin and then take them in the back of the store and throw them in the dumpster. Doesn't reality bite! I belive from what I've read that paper bags are actually more of a burden on the environment then plastic, the only solution is the hard one that huntergatherer gave, no bag to start with.

11. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I get paper at the grocery, plastic everywhere else. Save them up and drop off at the local thrift store/food bank. They are always happy to get them. I have also used plastic bags to stuff into spots that were lacking insulation in an old house we lived in. And I have used the plastic bags for temporary sand bags to keep the sides of a concrete form in place. The site was too rocky to pound in stakes.

12. kz

kz Well-Known Member

Line garbage cans with them.
    Use them to pick up after the dog on long walks.
    Give them to the assisted living home where mom lives.

13. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I use them as wastepaper basket liners. I keep some in the truck for when we pick up the mail. I keep them by the stairs to carry things upstairs or downstairs. They make nice fillers for cat and dog beds.

14. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Get your bags while you can..., huffing is just starving your brain for oxygen. This can be accomplished with plastic bags. Pretty soon government and walmart will want to control their use. You will be carded and put under suspicion. Big brother doesnt want you starving your brain for oxygen unless it can tax the process and show a profit.

15. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

I use them to line small trash cans usually or to dispose of particulary messy food items.

I believe Ireland has a ban on them, they where a blight on the countryside turning up all over the place. The Irish take any blights seriously. :rolleyes:

16. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I hang one over the handle of the drawer nearest the kitchen sink. On my way out of the neighborhood each day, I stop at the dumpster area and toss it. We don't have individual garbage can pick up here, so they come in handy and are easier to deal with than full size store-bought garbage bags. I also use them to line the kitty-litter-clumps trash can and all the bathroom trash cans.

17. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

I use them for small trash cans, carry some in the vehicles for trash or to carry things in, wadded up and stuffed them in holes to block drafts or as insulation, and any extras left over after all of that I gather and drop off at the food bank when I know I'll be driving by there.

Bob

18. Cheri in NY

Cheri in NY Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, yes give them to your local food bank. Our family runs the food bank in our town and we always need bags and smallish size boxes. Thank you.

19. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

I use them to line trash cans. We use them to pick up after the dog. I use them to put dirty diapers in when the grandbabies come to visit. My MIL made some of those draught excluders to put along the bottoms of the doors. She made a long fabric 'sausages',stuffed them with plastic bags and put a draw string at the top. That way you can take out the plastic if you want to wash the fabric bag. She also put magnets on the outside so the whole things sticks to our metal door and doesn't have to be put back in place every time someone uses the door. It works great and cost pennies. Extra bags I use when we have a garage sale and I take some with me when I go to garage sales too.

20. limhyl

limhyl Well-Known Member

Well, at Christmas time when the local packing store wanted six bucks for one cubic foot of packing peanuts and I had four boxes to mail, I wadded up the bags and used them instead. Not as estheticly pleasing but free. Of course now they are other family members problem :rolleyes:. I think most of them recycle. Theresa.