What do YOU do with your Dremel tool?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kirk, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Kirk

Kirk Well-Known Member

I'm just wondering what you handy/crafty types do with you dremel tools. See, I got one for my 9th 29th birthday and just had the tenth anniversary of my 29th birthday on sunday. I hadn't used it at all until tonight but figured I'd better find some use for it if I want to convince DW that I really NEED a welder.
    I used my dremel tool and some mason jars to engrave pictures on them. I took a simple drawing of a duck from my DD's flashcards and stuck it inside the jar then i used a diamond bit to lightly engrave the lines of the drawing. It came out well so next I used a birthday card which had a lighthouse drawing on it to do another jar. Now DW wants a lighthouse scene on a bathroom window. I'm even thinking this could be the start of a craft business.
    So, how 'bout it what else can this thing do? I heard home dentistry and trepanation but dont think I'll be trying either. Looking forward to hearing your responses.
    Kirk

P.S. do a google search on trepanation. YUCK

2. Nan(TX)

Nan(TX) Well-Known Member

3. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

This week Im using mine to do minor surgury on myself.

4. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I use the little metal cone-shaped sander (don't know the exact name) to carve my name and phone number on my hand tools. I did a pretty exacting job on my buck knife, by the way...(patting myself on my back)

5. tambo

tambo Well-Known Member

I bought my bil one for X-mas a few years ago.He loves it.He and his son made a derby car for boyscouts.He says he uses it all the time.

He used it the other day to cut a door in his metal building. :no: He said it did great but it might not be in the best working condition now. :(

Tambo

6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

We have a Dremel tool!?!!?! Where is it?

7. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

hubby uses his to sharpen saw blades and such... until he can afford the $2500 to buy a machine that just does it for him... uh huh..

in fact for christmas, I bought him a cordless one... and now.. may go and buy myself one too.. i make jewelry and am thinking a cordless one with a buffing head on it.......hmmm

lynn in texas

8. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

I refinished an old carousel horse I found, using it to strip off old paint, etc in the hand carving.

I use it to drill holes in my eggs to blow out the insides for my Pysanki egg crafts.

Also use it to cut off nails, and screws that are stripped and carve out holes for deadbolt locks.

Getting lot's more ideas here!

9. LWMSAVON

LWMSAVON Well-Known Member

DH uses a little attachment for his dremel and uses it to sharpen the chainsaw with.

(sorry don't know what it is off hand and he's not here to ask what attachment it is)

10. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

I saw those attachments - they are kits sold at Home Depot with the other chain saw stuff.

11. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

DH had wanted one for ages so I broke down and bought it for him this Christmas - now, of course, he wants attachments and bits for it. Which do you use the most often and for which jobs? We have the lost of all the parts, but is there a list anywhere that says "get X to do Y"?

12. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

my DH uses his to sharpen the mower blades. don't even need to take them off the mower!

You ladies can use them to buff your nails...

13. Kirk

Kirk Well-Known Member

Not an expert here, have only used the diamond bit that came with it, but I would go and buy one of the offbrand "multi tool" sets with hundreds of parts. Black&Decker had a box with about 20 bits and sandpaper buffers ect for around half what a very simular dremel set cost.`

14. Darren in TN

Darren in TN Guest

I've used mine a whole lot cutting machine screws to length, cutting facets onto broke bolts to help me remove them with a wrench, and lots of sanding and light grinding. The toughest job I've done was to cut the exhaust pipe to my Bronco's V-8 because the flange bolts were stuck and I had to remove the exhaust to pull the engine. For that job (and several others) I found the right-angle attachment and heavy-duy cutoff wheels to be indispensable. You'd be surprised by what you can cut with those wheels.

Darren

15. I've used mine a whole lot cutting machine screws to length, cutting facets onto broke bolts to help me remove them with a wrench, and lots of sanding and light grinding. The toughest job I've done was to cut the exhaust pipe to my Bronco's V-8 because the flange bolts were stuck and I had to remove the exhaust to pull the engine. For that job (and several others) I found the right-angle attachment and heavy-duy cutoff wheels to be indispensable. You'd be surprised by what you can cut with those wheels.

Darren

16. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) I use mine for many steps in making birdhouses....and it's a neat little router too for small projects along with all the other stuff! LQ

17. Bob_W_in_NM

Bob_W_in_NM Well-Known Member

Well, here's a funny, I guess. I've owned a Dremel for a couple of years. It may be worn out for all I know, but I've never used it.

I'm a juke box and amusement machine operator. These machines require a lot of work before they are in shape to go out on location. Some of it is very detailed.

I've got a gal that comes in (to the shop) most weekends and helps get this equipment ready. I have to do all the heavy duty troubleshooting, but she
    (Kelly) attends to a lot of the detail work.

I found a Dremel (ball bearings, variable speed) with the flexible shaft attachment and a lot of other goodies on offer a couple of years ago.
    I keep buying more stuff for it. About the only thing she hasn't tried out yet is the chain saw sharpening thingy I bought for it.

If I need to cut off a bolt I'm more apt to use an air operated cut-off too, chop saw or maybe an acetylene torch. Kelly uses that darn Dremel. Maybe I'm suffering from a Tim Allen Home Improvement "More Power" syndrome.

She does use the other power tools back there some too. I've never caught her trying to use the engine lathe or milling machine though. But then she doesn't mess with the electronic test equipment much, other that a volt-ohm meter.

I taught her how to do electronic soldering and I created a monster! hehe

Someday I'm gonna try that doggone Dremel tool out!

18. Marchwind

Marchwind Fiber Arts forum Mod. Supporter

Southwest Michigan by way of the Northwoods of MN
    I bought myself a Dremel kit for Mother's Day! I love tools! I used it to help make a grape arbor and DS#2 used it to make walking sticks. I haven't tried nearly half the tools/attachments it came with but it I love it so far, well worth the money!

19. EastOK

EastOK Guest

I use my dremel to rework my dentures. When I get them relined, there is always
    pain points. It is hard to get across to dentist exactly points of pain. Works great for me. Be VERY carefull to go little at a time so you don't remove too much.

20. Dances In Woods

Dances In Woods Well-Known Member

I saw Foot Dr. file down hubby's toenail ! I was scared for him, something with a motor coming at you & your foot...LOL :p