Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I buy nucs how do you get them in the hive, just exchange the full frames with empties because all my hive are new and have only foundation in them. I cant seem to find anything on this when searching the sights I know of.
All the nucs Im finding have only 5 frames in them and my hives are ten do you buy 2 nucs per hive or just one and let them fill in the empties?
If you use a top feeder do you poke multiple hole in the gallon lid or just one? and doesn't the wind blow them over or do you attach the lid to the hive?
hope these aren't stupid questions .

·
Registered
78 Posts
Good questions...
You should carefully move the frames from the nuc to the middle of your hive body and add the empty frames with foundation to each side. Carefully because your queen is on one and you don't want to injure her. When they have drawn out at least 3 of those empty frames, the outside 2 will be last, swap those outside frames with the ones next to them and add another brood box with 10 empty frames with foundation.
Many very small holes.
A big rock on top should keep them from blowing over or apart.

·
Super Moderator
16,906 Posts
I usually put a jar with holes in the lid on top of an inner cover, and an empty hive box with a lid over the top of that.

A rock on top is very good against Kansas winds!

I am considering a different typs of feeder, but, the quart jar with holes in the lid will give syrup to the bees.

·
in memoriam
12,697 Posts
I drill 1/16 inch holes in the lids I do 3 rows from the middle out to the edge but not where the seal is.
I set them on the intercover hole and leave about a half inch of the intercover hole open so the bees can come and go as some are always up there when you set the jar in place.
A gallon jar will last about a week and a half if there is now flow, thats and adverage though and they can empty them real fast some times.

:D Al

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so if I'm starting 3 new hive I'll only need 3 nucs. Then do I keep the nucs and reuse them? the ones I saw a picture of look like they could be reused to start more hives.
because if it goes well this year will add on next.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Making your own nucs is a great way to increase your hive count. It is also a great way to reduce swarming.
From strong hives in the spring you can take a frame with eggs, 1 with capped brood, a couple with honey and pollen and an empty frame and shake some extra bees in. Be certain you do not move the queen from a hive. They should make a new queen and build to a full sized hive. By removing brood from a full sized hive you can reduce their desire to swarm.
Oh and when you move the nuc frames, look for your queen. You need to remember what she looks like.

·
in memoriam
12,697 Posts
Be aware some places charge a $15.00 to $25.00 deposit on the Nuc box. You can build your own much cheaper and add some things that better suit the need of raiseing a new colony.

All the ones I build have a section in side the nuc box
that holds a half gallon of suyrp. You only have to remove the outer cover to remove or add a jar.

:D Al

1 - 8 of 8 Posts