What do you do with the capping knife?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by alleyyooper, Sep 16, 2006.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

Ok you plug it in and cut the cap off the first frame. Now you do :baby04: something with the knife so you can place the frame in the extractor. What do you do with that hot thing???

I hung mine from a stiff wire fastened to the ceiling but that didn't work to well, hot wax and honey ran down unto the handle and cord.
    :D Al

2. Chickieeeee

Chickieeeee Well-Known Member

That's where two people are helpful. When my dh is done uncapping, he hands me the frame, I hand him a capped frame and I take the uncapped one to the extractor.

3. alleyyooper

With 4 hands that isn't a problem. But many bee keepers extract alone, as I had to on Friday. Looking for tips here on what to do with that hot knife.

4. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Put it in the cappings so it doesn't overheat.

5. alleyyooper

Thanks for the Idea Rose. I had a 4" strip of 1/2 inch hardware cloth that fit the uncapping tank perfect. It not only held the knife but the capping scratcher too.

My knife has a thermostat so it doesn't over heat. The other one doesn't have a therostat and does over heat to the point of stinking up the honey house with burning honey and wax. I'm going to rig up a light dimmer switch for it to control the heat.