What do you do with spent grains???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by kidsngarden, Jun 30, 2006.

1. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

Tomorrow I will be picking up a whole pick- up truck full of spent grains from a guy brewing some home brew. They just let me know today so I feel really rushed about the whole thing.

I plan on feeding my pigs, but I only have two! I also have 5 goats, two dozen chickens, tow rabiits, and a couple of ducks. Who can eat it?

I wonder how exactly I'm supposed to keep this stuff. It'll only last for so long anyway.

any other uses?

kids

2. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

The chickens can eat it. I think the goats and ducks can, but not sure about the rabbits.

3. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

Try to seal it up in drums or something along that line. Stored in the open in the summer, you've got maybe 5 days before it starts getting moldy. We only feed dry brewers grain now but fed the fresh "wet" stuff for 3 years to the cows, worked nicely but we were getting it delivered 3 times every 2 weeks, 8 tons at a time.

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Heavy trash bags would make air tight storage. Just don't fill so full it splits the sides of the bag. Before tying the bag shut use your vacumn cleaner hose to suck the air out of the bag. The grain may ferment in the bag, and create gas. Tie the bag at the very top. This will leave a space for the gas between the grain and the tie. Corn stored in an airtight silo gets a sweet pleasant odor.

5. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

Air tight storage is a must.If oxygen gets to it will mold imediately. Jay

6. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

if you have some spare freezer space you could freeze some in plastic bags. also makes a potent fertilizer, spread many acres with a liqufied mash. cation do not use near habited areas, it reeks for quite awhile! :help: also do not use near water sources and till into the ground so the animals do not eat it as it decomposes!

7. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Will used brewers grain ferment properly? I thought it was to low in carbs or something...

8. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

Brewers Grain is very high in protein but, very low in carbohydrates. We always added corn to it to raise the carbohydrate level. Jay

9. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I used to work in a feed laboratory.

It is VERY high in protien, but has almost no carbs at all.

Alas, I do not know the best way to feed it. I just know that it has no carbs to speak of but lots of protien.

10. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

It was fed to the milk cows by the grandparents. Probably mixed with other feed.