Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Been There Done That, Got The T-shirt
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

Absolute monarchies are those in which all power is given to or, as is more often the case, taken by, the monarch. Examples of absolute power having a corrupting influence are Roman emperors (who declared themselves gods) and Napoleon Bonaparte (who declared himself an emperor).

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely" arose as part of a quotation by the expansively named and impressively hirsute John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton, first Baron Acton (1834–1902). The historian and moralist, who was otherwise known simply as Lord Acton, expressed this opinion in a letter to Bishop Mandell Creighton in 1887:

Link

Organism Font Happy Beard Photo caption

I'm 65 and am now permanently crippled.

Since my youth I have worked for at least 27 different outfits/companies and changed professions over twenty times. I wanted to farm and the only way this poor country boy saw that he could garner the educational experience to effectively own and operate one was to move around jobwise... A lot. That and I bought in early into the opportunity myth and wasted many years chasing it.

I have been subjected to many, many a Simon Legree and have come to a conclusion based upon personal experience and observation. nearly everyone in a position of management has either psychotic or sociopathic tendencies. either. They are usually incompetent and are in a position of authority because they enjoy tormenting subordinates.

Their management styles usually involve constant threats of losing one's position, either overtly or implied. They rarely if ever reward excellence in the workplace and are constantly whipping the employees to, Go faster!" If a subordinate comes up with a good idea, they will steal it and present it to management as their own.

They have absolutely no concept of this.

Font Circle Handwriting Paper Symmetry

They drive you to go faster, oblivious to the fact that one can only go so fast just for the sake of speed alone, before they become sloppy and dangerous

They have the attitudes of the SS guards in the concentration camps, they will without conscience sacrifice you, your job/career if it strokes their ego or makes them look good to management.

This has been nearly 100% of my experience with managers or anyone with a smidgen of authority.

This attitude is pervasive in our society.

It would not at all be a stretch to see this element rise up in a crisis and make Nazi Germany look like a playground by comparison.

We as a country are very near that now.

People everywhere that soullessly will rat you out in an instant to managers are are "Just following orders, or "Just enforcing the rules."

KWIM?

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a simple solution here… be your own boss!
Not so easy when you're at pauper level as far as start-up capital, with no real marital support and four kids to support, however, I heartily agree.

P.S. I did try to accomplish it, several times though.

Reactions: Alice In TX/MO

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Believe it or not, there are people out there that enjoy their work, their work atmosphere and get along well with their bosses.
If you've seen this pattern repeating itself over 20+ career moves, maybe it's time to look in the mirror?
True.

Some people do enjoy their work, employer and associates.

It's wonderful that your experiences ran counter to mine.

I was ambitious and not a lemming.

I learned the hard way that the nail that sticks up will be hammered down.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Didn’t say it’s easy… just simple.
I'm 65 and one-legged but I'm still trying for the brass ring after having to completely reinvent myself 10 years ago.

If I was a quitter, my bones would be bleaching in the ditch where Seth Hamilton left me to die.

Reactions: boatswain2PA

·
Volvo With a Gun Rack
2,750 Posts
I was all ready with my best drunken sailor story (I had Shore Patrol duty this one night in Barcelona...the only Marine on duty at the liberty launch).

Then I read the OP and get a rude awakening.

I will keep my 45 year old story to myself!

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was all ready with my best drunken sailor story (I had Shore Patrol duty this one night in Barcelona...the only Marine on duty at the liberty launch).

Then I read the OP and get a rude awakening.

I will keep my 45 year old story to myself!
No... Do tell, do tell.

·
Registered
22,499 Posts
I remember a tune going around after the Valdez debacle. Went something like "What do you do with a drunken sailor? Make him captain of an Exxon tanker". You might look into that.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
782 Posts
Not so easy when you're at pauper level as far as start-up capital, with no real marital support and four kids to support, however, I heartily agree.

P.S. I did try to accomplish it, several times though.
So your bosses all sucked, but you haven't been able to find a way, in America, to make/save enough money to start your own business.

Maybe, just maybe, the bosses haven't sucked as much as you feel like they have.

Maybe......it's the fault of that guy in the mirror.

I've had crappy bosses. I've also worked for fantastic leaders. I've left the highest paid job I ever had because, while my boss was a great guy, we had irreconcilable differences on what the job should have entailed. I've commanded men and women who formed a cohesive high performing team (and I believe most of them hold me out as a great leader), and I've commanded good men and women who (despite my best failing efforts) just couldn't come together well and we all struggled (and I think many of them think I was a poor leader....and I probably was).

But at the end of the day, win or lose, it's all because of that guy in the mirror.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
So your bosses all sucked, but you haven't been able to find a way, in America, to make/save enough money to start your own business.

Maybe, just maybe, the bosses haven't sucked as much as you feel like they have.

Maybe......it's the fault of that guy in the mirror.

I've had crappy bosses. I've also worked for fantastic leaders. I've left the highest paid job I ever had because, while my boss was a great guy, we had irreconcilable differences on what the job should have entailed. I've commanded men and women who formed a cohesive high performing team (and I believe most of them hold me out as a great leader), and I've commanded good men and women who (despite my best failing efforts) just couldn't come together well and we all struggled (and I think many of them think I was a poor leader....and I probably was).

But at the end of the day, win or lose, it's all because of that guy in the mirror.
I accept that in each of my failed relationships there is one constant. Me.

In jobs I have always rode for the brand.

I have attempted to go into business for myself.

I accept responsibility for the direction of my life.

Never explain, your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe it.

Reactions: tarbe

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Rags To Riches Success Story

A real touching success story!

Every morning, the CEO of a large bank in Manhattan walks to the corner for a shoeshine. He sits in an armchair, examines the Wall Street Journal and the shoeshine buffs his shoes to a mirror shine.

One morning the shoeshine asks the CEO: "What do you think about the situation in the stock market?"

The man answered arrogantly, "Why are you so interested in that topic?"

The shoeshine replies, "I have millions in your bank," he says, "and I'm considering investing some of the money in the capital market."

"What's your name? " Asked the executive.

John H. Smith was the reply.

The CEO arrives at the bank and asks the Manager of the Customer Relations Department: Do we have a client named John H. Smith? "Certainly," answers the Customer Service Manager, "he is a high-net-worth customer with 12.6 million dollars in his account."

The executive comes out, approaches the shoeshine, and says, "Mr. Smith, I would like to invite you next Monday to be the guest of honor at our board meeting and tell us the story of your life. I am sure we could learn something from your life's experiences."

At the board meeting, the CEO introduces him to the board members.

We all know Mr. Smith, from the corner shoeshine stand, but Mr. Smith is also an esteemed customer. I invited him here to tell us the story of his life. I am sure we can learn from him.

Mr. Smith began his story.

"I came to this country fifty years ago as a young immigrant from Europe with an unpronounceable name. I got off the ship without a penny. The first thing I did was change my name to Smith. I was hungry and exhausted. I started wandering around looking for a job but to no avail. Fortunately, I found a coin on the sidewalk. I bought an apple. I had two options, eat the apple and quench my hunger or start a business. I sold the apple for 25 cents and bought two apples with the money. I also sold them and continued in business. When I started accumulating a few dollars, I was able to buy a set of used brushes and shoe polish and started polishing shoes.

I didn't spend a penny on entertainment or clothing, I just bought bread and some cheese to survive. I saved penny by penny and after a while, I bought a new set of shoe brushes and polishes in different shades and expanded my clientele. I lived like a monk and saved penny by penny.

After a while, I was able to buy an armchair so my clients could sit comfortably while I shined their shoes, and that brought me more clients. I did not spend a penny on the joys of life. I kept saving every cent.

A few years ago, when the previous shoeshine on the corner decided to retire, I had already saved enough money to buy his shoeshine location at this great place.

Finally, 6 months ago, my sister, who was a prostitute in Chicago, passed away and left me 12.6 million dollars."

Some people have all of the luck. The rest of us have to continually be exposed to contracting Hearing AIDS from working for egocentric imbeciles.

Cartoon Mammal Gesture Art Rectangle

• Haha
Reactions: Chief50 and tarbe
1 - 20 of 29 Posts