What do you do to help keep your sheep cool?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by RandB, Jul 25, 2005.

1. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

I'm sure at least some of you have been experiencing the terrible heat the last several weeks. For next 3 days we are going to have high 90's with high humidity. I worry about the sheep. Of course we keep their water tub full, but by evening the water is warm. The rams and ewes each have partially open-sided sheds they can go in, which they have been doing a lot in the heat of the day. We have hung a box fan in each shed also, to keep the air moving.

Does anybody else have some good ideas? Have your sheep suffered?

2. backachersfarm

backachersfarm Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are doing as much as you can really do. We have had temps in 100+ here in Tn. If your animals aren't struggling with health problems they may be uncomfortable..but they will survive. Since they don't sweat, I'm not sure fans help sheep. The animals I worry about most are our llamas. They are kept in the field where the pond is during the hot weather. They come up and wait to be hosed down when we fill the water troughs. Sheep don't appreciate this...I have tried it....lol

Sharon

3. kmaproperties

kmaproperties Well-Known Member

we freeze 2 liters full of water and drop them in the water .
    hang some in front of the fan, it helps a little.
    throw some on the ground in the shed, they will lay on them.

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

we have put lots of salt out and electrolites in their water troughs. we use 250 gal tanks and ice cold well water in the shade .have not seen the water heat up much .they have accses to lots of treed areas where the temps are much cooler and feed in the yards at night(large coyote problem in open fields) so far so good .hope this heat ends soon!!!

5. jdoss

jdoss Member

I am in the process of building a bigger barn, but for now my sheep stay in a three sided shed, 8' X 16'. I try to keep the bedding fresh, and I put two cheap $14.00 Walmart ceiling fans in there. It seems to be pretty cool most of the time. I live in Virginia, and hopefully today is the last day of the real bad heat. It makes everyone and everything suffer.