What do you do about waste disposal?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by brokerjack, Oct 7, 2004.

1. brokerjack

brokerjack Guest

What does everyone do about waste and garbage. i know some things go into the compost pile, some things will get burned. But what are some other items that do not fall into either category? (Like when butchering animals. What about the waste not eaten or used? Should that be burned, burried, copmosted?)
    Thanks,
    Jack

2. Yankee1

Yankee1 Well-Known Member

All bones and wast from a carcase I give to my dogs they love it. any meats that I do not eat the dogs get.

3. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

I process all organic based items through my worm herd, All aluminum , glass ,recyclable plastics and scrap metal are processed through my small scale recycle center. Plastics not suitable for regulated recycling I have began to experiment with ways to use them as a papercrete bonding additive, but have not had any definitive results yet.

4. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I take it over & put it on my neighbor's "bone yard" where he takes his dead cows. The buzzards & coyotes do the rest.

5. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

If you don't have use for it, you might call the nearest processing plant. They sell hides and such to other people that use them, or you could look up tanneries and such in your area. There is a guy in our area that will come and shoot the livestock animal and dress it out for $40 and he gets to keep the hide and innards. I think he sells each of these to others - like a tannery, a dog food plant and a company who sells skulls to artists or decorators. He has a truck he uses for slaughter purposes and the price includes him transporting the carcass to the processing plant.