What do you consider cheap land in 40 acre chunks?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fantasymaker, Jan 2, 2007.

What is cheep land? In at least a 40 acre parcel?

1. less than $100 Per Acre

2. Less than $500 Per Acre

3. Less than $1000 Per Acre

4. less than $1500 Per Acre

5. Less than $2000 Per Acre

6. Less than $3000 Per Acre

7. less than $5000 Per Acre

8. Less than $7500 Per Acre

9. Less than $10,000 Per Acre

10. More than $10,000 Per Acre

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Lets talk raw land no house or building of value

2. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

It is where the land is. 40 acres in doun town Dalas is much more expencives than land in the Ozarks. The chepest land is where there are no jobs. The more expencive land is where there are jobs and amenitys.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

$32,000 SC 40 acres suitable for growing trees and has some potential for the land to appreciate.

4. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Depends where it is. I bought 10 acres for $35,000 when I could have bought 30 for $20,000. The 30 was in a bad spot.

5. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Not nearly enough information to make a decision.

1000 acres at $100/acre with no water in the desert is pretty useless. 10 Acres @ $5000/acre in good bottom land, with live water, trees, moderate climate, and potential is worth every penny.

Nikki

6. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

I prefer acreage with lots of water at 60 foot depth, covered in thick forest, with riverfrontage, power and phoneline at the pavement.

I see it anywhere from $150/acre to $900/acre.

:)

7. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Reheheally....could you elaborate?

8. fantasymaker

Elaborate? Just getting an Idea of what people feel.Im assuming They will talk about where THEY are . I put the 40 acres part in so it wouldnt be just homesites but raw acreages.
    Maybe I should have asked what do you think is cheep land near you?Or that you have knowlege of/ but that would have got to be a pretty long unweildy titile.

Decision? What decision just say what you feel. yep this is one of those "feeling" threads!

Actually its mostly here for the poll.

9. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Cheep land here has a lot of birds...

But cheap land is unheard of in Western WA. Even wet land goes for a premium. Now, in Eastern WA...I just found this http://www.eaglestar.net/hth19-.html Of course there's no rain there (who'da thunk no rain in WA?) Okay, that's cheap. And this one (although smaller parcel) http://www.eaglestar.net/noc.html

But this side of the mountains, you'll expect cheap prices on 20 acres parcels to be $150,000...and at least $200,000 on 40, and that would be wet, wet, wet or underneath powerlines. The wet isn't suitable for much, and the powerlines may or may not have fertile land (but likely not at that price!) Typically, a raw 5 acre piece in this and neighboring counties will bring $200,000.

10. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

can't answer the question because it depends where one is going to want to live.
    40 acres can be very cheap owning very marginal or wet land to occupy, or if it has no water, all rock, or so on. :shrug: It can be very expensive and look 'cheap' only because it might be close to a ciy.

11. ET1 SS

I agree.

rural tends to be cheap.

But many folks think that 50 foot lots, one block from the freeway offramp, and 10 minutes to the CITY; is rural too!

Rural is different things to different folks.

When houses are a mile apart [or more] and parcels are all over 40 acres, then it tends to come down in price.

But you have got to have water. Even too much water is better than no water.

12. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

Depends on location and ammenities.

13. fantasymaker

WOW your avatar is a bit frenetic!

14. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

Location, location, location. I've seen land that I wouldn't take if they paid me to take it.

15. fantasymaker

The point is all things concidered what do you think of as cheep land? Ok ya might wanna point out where its at but mostly I mean if you were reading an add and it said 40 acres for XXXXX what would those Xs have to be to get you to eagerly read the rest of the add?

16. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

Well I wouent look as long as the XXXX were too low. If there is cheep land it would be gobiled up fast. If the X's were too low the reason would be aparent (no water no jobs, no access). I have seen all these and while you may think that some are fine you find out late in the game that they are not. I have seen land that was gently roling land that was so steep that a mountian Goat couldn't clime. I have seen land that looked good but had no access to it unless you were to build a road and a briide to it through someones pasture. These places you coultn't give it to me. I have seen land that has maagnificent views If you stood on the shoulder of the road and over looked a cliff that went straight down.

Chepe land is a oximoron. If it were that cheep then why is it for sale? Cheep land is not the best price on land but the price on land with other aminimies.

17. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Here you are...........
    Here is Land for Sale, in the Rocky Mountains, at various Prices..........

http://www.rockymountaintimberlands.com/

Well, It Looks Beautiful. And they have various locations.
    I guess it's all in what you are looking for.
    Have Fun.

18. ET1 SS

Just keep in mind that if a realtor lists it, then locally it would sell for 1/2 that much.

19. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Really? On what are you basing that?

The realtor's fee is generally a percentage of the sale price. If the price is too high, the land is going to sit and not sell. To double the price on a piece of land because it's listed with a realtor would be foolhardy.

'Sides that, if the price were doubled, it wouldn't comp out for financing.

Maybe they double it by you, but that's not how it works in the Midwest. :shrug:

Pony!

20. NWoods_Hippie

NWoods_Hippie Well-Known Member

As to jobs and amenities that is simply not true everywhere! Land is VERY expensive where I live in Northern Wisconsin because of "summer" people. The job situation can be grim here, unless you bartend, wait tables, do caretaking etc., and amenities, HA in my town we don't even have a gas station, no grocery store, no doctor, no nothing in my town. But then that is why I chose to live here!!

Margie