What do you call luxuries?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BCR, Jan 14, 2005.

1. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Some of the new threads and newly revived threads bring to mind the question of what are necessities versus luxuries? We all define luxury differently, I believe. So what do you call luxury?

For me, luxury is cable/satellite TV, cellphones, car newer than 5 years old, cleaning lady/man, clothes dryer.

2. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Same as above plus...a car for each driver in household and a computer at home.

(By the way, we have both of those things and some of the things that were mentioned before, but I'd love to get rid of it all!)

3. OD

OD Well-Known Member

When you really think about it, compared to the way people lived a hundred years ago, just about everything we have is a luxury. Even compared to the way we lived in the 50's, it's just amazing to think about how much "stuff" that we have that we don't really need.

4. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

In reality, anything you do not need to survive and live, is a luxury. But I am thankful for some of the luxuries that we do have.

5. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

When we lived in Arizona the cleaning lady and pool man were luxuries, as well as the whole car thing. Funny...we found the more luxuries you have, the less they feel like luxuries, and more like necessities. And the luxuries tend to get bigger to keep up with the Jones's. Now we live off the grid with solar power, and I would say my most sinful luxury is an automatic drip coffee maker. A big no-no on solar but I love the darn thing!

6. Steve in Ohio

Steve in Ohio Well-Known Member

That would be a three day vacation..........no kids,no dogs,no Inlaws,no farm chores,no broke stuff to fix.....no I guess thats a Fantasy........
    .........................................................................................................................................................................................................................

7. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..................I think Technology is really a mixed blessing . Some people simply will buy every new gadget that any company introduces regardless of their actual need . I , on the other hand am a harded old Fart and refuse to pay FOR cable\satallite TV that we use too receive free . I'm sure everyone has noticed that the old style TV stations have the absolute Worst programs that the Fools in charge of programming can think up . You've got idiots eating all kinds of crap , being jerked , pulled , dangled and dragged thru God knows what . 15 minutes of fame must really be important to these folks cause I'd tell that little SNOT announcer to kiss my Grits .
    ...............Conversely , if a single individual accidentially severs his arm in a hay field he can use the other to call 911 and surgeons will beable to surgically reattach "IT" with greater than a 50% probability of some functional useage rather than him simply bleeding to death next to his tractor . So , I guess it just depends on the Need of the particular individual at the time . I'm NOT a slave to anything but my freedom because i quit smoking in 1990 , but I'd sure hate to run out of Toilet Paper and I'd really miss my coffee , pink stuff and Coffeemate to dope it up with . I'd also Miss those Sweet little things that walk in the Post Office in their Short Shorts . I maybe old but I'm NOT blind !..fordy... :eek: :)

8. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

Oh fordy,

you've given me quite the chuckle - thanks!

9. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

Going out to eat, a vacation to anywhere.

10. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Ahhh...a cleaning lady and a handy man. Those would be true luxuries! To be able to hop on a plane anytime I want and fly to my daughter's house...that would be a wonderful luxury!

But to be realistic...considering how I grew up and the hard years of pinching pennies when I was a single mom of two I would have to say that central air and heat are luxuries and being able to pay all the bills each month with plenty left over...those are my favorite luxuries!

11. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Clothes dryer, dishwasher, lawns, tv's.

12. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

Hot running water .....ice in summer....

13. Countrymama

Countrymama Member

For me, luxuries would include satellite TV, internet access and air conditioning in the summer. I could give them up, if need be but, those are the things I would call luxuries that we enjoy at this time. I do agree with the statement made about the more you have the more we think we need, it can become a vicious cycle trying to obtain more and more of the material items that really are not necessary to our lives.

14. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Washing my clothes in a sink in the house instead of outside in ice cold water that I got by melting snow. Not having to go out in the snow and break branches off trees and drag them back to burn in the stove. A refrigerator. Hot showers. A variety of nice foods and more than I need to keep body and soul together. A car that does more than barely get me to the store and back. Having my own bedroom and DD having her's. Internet friends. A phone that doesn't disconnect every time a plane flies over. These are luxuries.

15. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Oysters,salami and cell phone.Heat at 71 degrees.

BooBoo

16. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

A gate that works properly. Hoses that are not frozen, As for a cleaning lady my mom has one me ;) .I like to help my folks out. My luxuries are our new car well its 4 years old new but everything works in it!!! Our motorcycles. I guess having a home to live in is my biggest one. And all the rest is just a bonus.

17. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Luxury is a sled with electric start AND reverse!

18. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

It is funny how some of the things we use now we think are necessities. I NEED my car to get to my job with the city, but I COULD live without it and work for Walmart. I COULD live without a computer, but then again, I wouldn't have a job or my foundation if I didn't have a computer.

I'm happy driving my 2000 Focus. It's an entry level car, relatively inexpensive (for a newer car), gets good gas mileage, and gets me from point A to B. I get sick when I see people 'tricking' out their $50,000 cars that they can't afford.

19. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Things I used to consider luxuries in the past seem to be necessities now.
    A computer is a good example. It's one of the most necessary tools in my life and work. The internet service provider would go along with that.

Things that I feel wasteful more now than before is going out to eat. It's a real luxury and cost to do this. So is going to sporting events, which I rarely do.
    Fishing and spending cost for gas doing that is a luxury, I guess that I undulge from time to time. Living on the homestead country life can allow that I don't miss spending money like if I lived in town. There would be too many distractions that some don't consider luxuries, but they really are.
    Basically luxuries are things over the top that we don't need. I 'need' my dogs, for example, so I don't consider them luxuries.

20. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

Perspective is everything. If someone asked what you wanted in a home, what would you say? If someone asked me, I'd say things like structurally sound, well insulated, hot & cold running water, central heating, sewer & electricity. Luxury item would be central air. I can recall living without all of those items so naturally I'd think of those immediately. Someone who has never been without wouldn't think to name them, they would just figure every house automatically contained them. I know from experience that I can make a home without what are considered necessities today, but am VERY glad I don't have to.