what do you call living this way?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by nodak3, Dec 12, 2005.

1. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

I would like to find some sites that connect more to the lifestyle I am pursuing. Homesteading is only partly right, as we have given up the animals and the large garden, etc. My "ideal" lifestyle would be to be back miles out in the country down a dirt road, in really empty territory. Desert, mountain, whatever would be ok. Supplies, including water, would probably have to be all hauled in. Not so much a lifestyle of self sufficiency as one of extreme rural location. Think old prospectors or ranch line camps or remote mining cabins. But what do you call that to look it up?

2. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

3. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

ascetic,
    eremite,
    misanthrope,
    recluse,
    solitarian,

living in seclusion

remote living

I think that's about all I can come up with at the moment

4. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

I call it freedom lifestyle or escape, you might try searching "living off the grid"

5. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Afraid of something, witness protection.

6. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, you could call it "hiding out" or "paranoid"
    or being "Self-sufficient"
    Depends on your POV, I guess. :confused:

7. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Eccentric, although saying you are just doing-your-own-thing sounds far more sweet, if anyone ever asks. At least it works for me anyway, although I can't say I am at quite the same extreme you are. I would do a search under survivalist skills if you are looking on the internet for ideas. Deb

8. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

9. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I would call it Camping out!! I think I would Love it a few months out the year. If you are going to haul in all the things you need it would be just like taking a camping trip. Have Fun!! Randy

10. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Dependent! No seriously, you would always be dependent on the outside world. Why not find a place that at least has a water source and fuel to burn and maybe food to glean/harvest wild? Where is all that cash going to come from if you are that remote? Taxes still have to be paid. Don't fret over not having animals, lots of us here don't have them now or never did. And hard core farming isn't for everyone.

Check out www.backwoodshome.com for some folks that rough it with skills.

11. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

12. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

OOPS--didn't make myself clear. I described a lifestyle I grew up in and would love to return to, although that won't happen anytime soon as I do daycare dgd! Still, we do pursue it in little ways--like living on the edge of town so we still get to see the bears and coyotes and roadrunners, etc. Cash isn't an issue--most of those places are low taxes, and we are retired. I would just like to connect to others living this lifestyle. Maybe "extreme westerner" is an idea--some parts of the west there is just no way to "homestead" in the sense of growing food or seeking total self sufficiency. Instead, "stuff" is reduced to the minimum. Where you can "homestead" has too many people to suit me! And for the record, when we lived that far out we neighbored regularly (they may be 20 miles away for the nearest), attended church regularly (combined the trip to town for church and what shopping we had to do), and had 2 good and one iffey tv channel, and sometimes even had a phone! When you haul everything you use, you do tend to use less. I prefer a well over hauling water, but that isn't always possible. I like propane and rea. Just like the houses farther--much farther--apart than most I guess.

13. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

"being poor"? JUST kidding!

It sounds like living in certain parts of AZ, CO, WY and NV to me. At least like places I've seen. Have you seen that book about building the travel trailer homestead for $500? I love that book.
    Maybe you could pick out the area you are looking for and contact people there through the paper or something. Maybe living on a reservation?

14. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Sounds just like you are describing my place and our lifestyle LOL

15. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Appalachian hill folk...

16. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

Prospecting for Providence.
    a.k.a. Blessed with Poverty.

17. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

Try searching 'wilderness living'.

18. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

I would call it NUTS. You wouldn't have a computer and couldn't keep up with all the happenings on this forum. That has to be called NUTS. :D :D :D :D

19. LuceLu

LuceLu Member

I think that is mountain living. I was reading some books on the Adirondaks and people lived like that, esp. some of the old mountain men.

They did have a garden but nothing big and just had a very limited diet during the winter (mostly potatoes for starch, not much for grains except for the flour they bought and stored). They lived in a brick house but many others in wood ones.

They neighbored quite a bit and had socials, did church etc. The land was too rocky to farm so they fired wood for charcoal and had an iron works and logged. But many of those industries died with changes to fossil fuels and cheap imports. The book I was reading was set back in the 1890's with Ted Roosevelt as president and none too popular for urging women to have more children.

So, mountain living?
    LuceLu

20. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

Luce: what was the book title? Sounds like an interesting read