What do y'all think of this cabin?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oz in SC, Oct 4, 2005.

1. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

We are hoping to get moving on developing our homestead in NC and I found this in our 'favorites' and it still looks promising...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We cannot put a mobile home on our land so that is ruled out and we would rather have a permanent structure than a camper as it adds value to the land.

We had a quote of just under $50,000 assembled on our land..of course prices have changed since then but it is still in the ballpark.

It would still need kitchen,bathroom,etc but wife has a LOT of contacts in that end of home construction...we would also change the interior around as one bedroom is all that would be needed.

This would be a place to live while we build up our finances and prepare to build the 'real' house....

Also in the event that life changes and we needed to sell the property,it would certainly be an asset.

2. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I think it's cute. I wish I had the money for it.

3. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

It looks nice enough to *be* the "real house"!

I am building a package home right now (www.cabins.ca) and they told me that the price of a finished house is about 2.5 times the package price. So far, it's turning out to be about right. My foundation is in, and the package itself gets delivered tomorrow - the plan I have is the "Banff" and they told me it takes 4 men about 8-10 days to frame it onsite. Just in case that kind of info helps for comparison!

We built a very small shed (10x14), finished the inside with paneling and insulation and a bit of floor covering, and put beds and temporary sink/camping potty/kerosene heater in there for a few months while we are constructing. Anything more "house like" was gonna cost a fortune by the time I got it all serviced & so on, so I decided to just rough it for a tiny bit, and dive in and build the "real house" first. It's small, my 'real house', but it's all we need. :)

I love the plan of this cabin, and it looks so pretty. I intend to build a smaller version of something very similar for a 'guest house' on my land. But that's after the chicken coop, the garden, the barn .... isn't homesteading great? :D

4. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    A nice looking place and a good plan except for the placement of the stairs which i find awkward. If you are young and agile and dont intend to use the loft for more than storage, I wouldnt build the staircase yet and just put up a ladder. The staircase eats up a lot of useful space and really divides up the room. You could build a second kitchen counter in its place with seating along the living room side.

5. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I agree with FolioMark. The stairs are right where I'd put the woodstove.

6. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Looks like it would be comfy oz.

7. ttryin

ttryin Well-Known Member

Hi,

The house looks warm and inviting, like home.

I would like a window in the kitchen and also the bathroom.

I would not like to enter either of my bedrooms through their closets. Maybe the stairs could be where the bathroom is so at least one bedroom closet would be under the stairs. Then the bathroom could be next to the kitchen, providing another wall for appliances or cabinets.

Best wishes for a warm, loving home.

T

8. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

It's really cute. The only thing I can say is that if one of the reasons for getting the cabin is for resale value, one bedroom may not be good. Also, it'd be kind of awkward to enter the bedroom through the closet unless you kept it very orderly. The front is just beautiful though! Good luck.

9. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Good looking cabin, Oz. Did you give up on the idea of a barn with apartment? Or did you ever have that idea to begin with? I'm (as usual) confused. :confused:

Oh yea: what is below the loft?

10. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I think it is very lovely! I'd move the bathroom over to the kitchen side (less plumbing that way) with a large closet next to it and the door to the bedroom on the livingroom side. I'd probably keep the stairs and make a pantry underneath them...you could even put your fridge under the stairs. Then you could add more counter/cabinet space on the opposite wall.

11. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Move the bathroom. From experience, a bathroom without an outside window is not good. You cannot remove moisture or odors and you have to turn on a light everytime you shut the door. When the power goes out dragging a candle or whatever in the bathroom even during the day can be a real pain. AND having it off the livingroom is ---- let's just say it won't be sound proof. :eek: It may not bother you but guests (if you have any) just might be a little uncomfortable. :D

12. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

so which week should I plan for our family vacation there?

13. oz in SC

Thanks for all the replies.

I am not sold on the floorplan as much as what is included and its look.
    For an extra $1500,we can have this floorplan-
    [​IMG]

We WERE looking at a barn/apartment BUT it is like pulling teeth to get anyone up there to commit to anything..I willcall the barn builder tomorrow and see if he can give us any sort of figure...

Do you think for the price(say $62,000 all told) we could build a 'regular' house with the same square fotage and features??

Thanks again.

14. misslinda

misslinda Well-Known Member

It looks wonderful!!! I would only change one thing. I'd definetly want a door to the bathroom in the master bedroom!! Coz to go to the bathroom just to take a shower means you'd have to trapse thru the living room with maybe just a robe on and you may feel uncomfortable if you have guests in the living room!! So I would want a door to the bathroom in the master bedroom for sure!!! I wish you well there!!!

15. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

Oz,
    Does the $62,000.00 include foundation, well, septic, HVAC, electric, plumbing, permits, excavation, etc? If so, then $62,000.00 is a steal!! I'd say go for it!! However, if there are addtional items that you will have to provide, I would total everything up and see if the cost per square foot is within your comfort zone.
    Also, just as an aside. My boss looked Conestoga Cabins for some riverfront property he owns in SW Virginia. He visited a campground locally that was having several of the cabins built just to see if it was what he wanted. He was disappointed in the quality of some of the materials that they use and priced out doing a conventional stick built cabin with cedar siding instead. Of course, he has a six-figure income and can afford quite a bit more than the average person!! (Like me !! :rolleyes: )

16. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

I'm going to be the negative vote here. :( I think the price seems high, but maybe that is reasonable in that area.

I'm looking at having a 24X32 built on my property. Cost is $12K through "Ultrabuilt" here in Ohio. Of course, that is NO finish work, no porch, etc., but I can do that myself. That $12K will buy me the finished shell, T111 siding (ugh), a full loft, 3' stairs, etc.

Of course, yours is MUCH prettier! I intend on re-doing the outside facade anyway, so the T111 doesn't bother me.

17. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

18. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Like I said, it's a great looking cabin. But I would just be careful applying the theory that every time you put up a permanent building, you will get an equal return in "value" to your property. If I were in your situation, I would strongly consider either putting up a barn with an apartment, or putting up a structure that you can easily add on to for your permanent home. By the time you put plumbing, electric, finish out, etc.; you could easily have $65-70,000 in your cabin. For half of that or less, you could put up a 1500 SF barn, finish out one end with an apartment, and in the end have something that you can use when you move up there. Just my $.02.

19. oz in SC

I am NOT sold on this company in the least,I would much rather find a local company to build a home but prices for home construction up there seems high..not as high as here thats for sure but up there.

We would like a dried in shell plus....with a little more done than is normal.
    We can do the kitchen but would like the plumbing roughed in to the kitchen area,same with bathroom.

Thanks for the link painterswife....I am looking at it now.

20. connie in WV

connie in WV Site Admin's Boss

Does it have big enough windows? I'm sure the views are going to be great. Don't skimp on little windows!