What do they require?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by dosthouhavemilk, Jan 25, 2005.

1. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

We are having rouble with our SCC in our tank and so are having to keep out milk that is otherwise fine. We can't drink that much and don't have calves to feed it to and our cats can only consume so much, so we were considering getting some pigs to feed it to. Do they need grain or other food besides milk? Is there an age where a majorly milk diet would be good for them, with little to no grain?

Thanks for any input. We are assuming they would need some grain and if that is the case then we are better off just pouring the milk into the manure spreader.

2. Mulefoot

Mulefoot Active Member

I don't have any personal experience with this but I remember my father telling me about what they did during the Depression. They fed skim milk to the pigs since they could only sell cream where they were at, and they also gave them clover hay to eat since they could sell the grain more easily. He said that they grew more slowly but he thought that they had a good milk taste, like a pork version of veal.

I would take a look at the nutritional guidelines for hogs and see if they would be missing any nutrients. You might have to supplement some sort of vitamin or mineral to make it work well.

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I have read no more than a gallon of milk per day....you could culture the milk with yogurt or buttermilk and it will last longer without refridgeration. If you have a bakery near you. A truckload of feed (old) bread is about $20 around here. There digestion is like humans....milk and bread are considered in #1 category of alternative feeds. Animal afterbirth (gross) is also in the #1 category.