what do they call those chimney things for your back yard?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paul Wheaton, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

The idea is that you have a big chimney in your back yard so you can sit around th fire, but the chimney takes the smoke up high so you aren't getting smoke in your eyes.

What do they call those things?

I was thinking of making one next year (cob?) and am curious about what it would involve.

2. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

3. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

4. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

5. bare

bare Head Muderator

We always used to tell the new boy scouts that they were "Pine Smoke Sifters".

6. ristras

ristras New Member

I think "chimenea" (or something like that) is right, if you're talking about the free-standing terracotta or metal outdoor fireplaces. They give off a fair amount of heat, and if you're burning an aromatic wood like pinon, a lovely smell.

7. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

I have one and found that extending the chimney witha piece of regular metal chimney makes it draw better- and also I cut a piece of smaller size mesh for the front, it helps keep the sparks in.My complaint is the opening is too big- it should be smaller to avoid smoking.Ours is on the patio- the kids use it to roast marshmellows and hotdogs.Either briquettes or a small kindling fire [that burns down quickly] seems best

8. netti424eva

netti424eva Member

Hello
    We had a Mexican Fire Pot that sounds like what you are talking about. It was made from terracotta and gave out lots of heat. We lent it to a friend for a party and uinfortunately it cracked around the chimney bit with the moving, but we got good use out of it for about 6 years. I now have it planted out with petunias. I have recently seen ones made of metal which may have a longer life. I would certainly buy another as visitors loved it (so did I).
    Cheers Netti

9. Susan Mary

Susan Mary Well-Known Member

They have them at all the Wal-Marts/Susan