What do red flecks in milk mean?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TWOGOATS, Apr 22, 2005.

TWOGOATS Animal Lover

Mar 7, 2005
    California, Bay Area
    After we had milked one of my goats, Spreckles, and filtered her milk, we noticed that there were some kind of dried blood flecks on the filter. :( For background, this goat is not pregnant, never has been, (except for a false pregnancy recently) and isn't producing more than 14oz a day. She will be two years old this May. I have been treating her udder like it should be treated; ie, washing it with udder wash before milking, milking her out, and then spraying her teats with Fight-Bac. Other than the blood flecks, there are no lumps in the milk, and the milk isn't off-color.

Is something wrong with her? What is it? What do I do to fix? :confused:

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Jan 24, 2003
    I have a doe that did this off and on. It can be a sign of mastitis but not always. I think its a fairly common occurence among heavy milkers. As long as she keeps with a soft udder and milks normally and its just a few flecks I wouldnt worry too much.

3. Kasidy

Kasidy Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Sometimes heavy milkers will produce a little blood at the start of lactation. Smlall vessels break I guess because of all the pressure of that very full udder. Also if she was doing a lot of running or someone was chasing her or bunted her it could have bruised the bag and caused blood flecks for a few days. I once had a doe who was a heavy milker with a pendulous bag who had slightly pinkish milk her entire lactation---needless to say her milk went to calves and never into the house!
  4. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2004
    I have a Snubian that is a very heavy milker. Every so often I get a few red flakes in the milk, I just filter it out. I see it oooh.. about 3 times a year or so.
    Nothing to worry about. Other than Mastitis, which would show other symptoms like a hot udder, swelling, etc. At first, I also panicked and thought something might be wrong, but it's just a blood vessel breaking from the weight of the milk my vet told me.