Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting a 4 month old calf tomorrow!!

I just found out last night about this deal and it has happened really fast. Doing some research and have asked breeder what they feed etc, but thought I would ask here as well.

What does a 4 month old calf need? We have hay, grass, water, and shelter. I need to know what kind of feed I should supplement with... and the move will wean her off her mother's milk so... I am afraid that will stress her out. I'd like to maybe give her some fresh raw goat milk in a bucket daily as a way to tame her down some.

She is a Scottish Highlands/Belted Galloway and her mother is only 41" tall, sire is 40".
http://www.gallopingwindsranch.com:80/images/Cattle/Calves/EllieBabyF041307.jpg
http://www.gallopingwindsranch.com/images/Cattle/Calves/EllieBaby041307.jpg

Any advice for me?? TIA!! :p
I'm sure I will get plenty of help from the breeder but it never hurts to have as much info as possible!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am feeding Purina Calf Starter. My calves really like it, and it must taste good because it is easy to get them started on it. Of course they aslo have grazing and fresh water available. Keep an eye on your starter, if it molds don't feed it to a calf. The extra molasses put in calf starter seems to let it mold more quickly IMHO.

Soon I will move them to either a grower/developer feed or to just plain cracked corn.

·
Udderly Happy!
2,866 Posts
I would think if she's four months old you can put her on whatever type of ration you choose as long as she has free choice roughage, (hay or grass) plenty of clean water, free choice minerals, and has been vaccinated. You might want to make sure the protein and fat content are at a good level. (say about 12% protein and 3% fat) Just start her gradually on whatever kind of feed you choose and work her up to 3% of total body weight intake per day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts