What do I need to know?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Abouttime, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Abouttime

Abouttime Well-Known Member

In a recent thread about culling mention was made of being certain to have "somebody who knows what they are doing" when chosing to have your pig transported dead to the butcher. I have found a processor close enough who will accept them this way. As I have never shot a gun, I will need to find somebody......what do I ask to be certain they know what they are doing? What should their answers be?
    Thanks

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

While I can scald and gut a pig, and skin and gut a sheep, I don't actually do the killing so I can't give you the answers your after. Whoever is doing the killing will have to know where in the head it is to be shot and how to stick it immediately afterwards to bleed it out.

The butcher is almost bound to know of somebody who is capable of doing this for you. Do you know any pig hunters or perhaps neighbours that do their own home-kill. Hopefully somebody on here who does their own home-kill will be able to give a more precise answer.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

If you shoot from the front, draw a mental "X" from the ears to the eyes, and shoot just slightly above where the "X" would cross. You can also shoot from the rear at the base of the ear. Be sure to hold the gun level and pointed toward the center of the forehead so that the bullet will enter the brain, and kill instantly.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I use the mental X method described by tyusclan above. The only difference is that I drop down on one knee to shoot. In so doing this changes the angle of the projectile. A hogs brain is higher in the skull than many recognize. I use a 22 long rifle and I cannot remember ever having to fire more than one shot. After the stunning shot is delivered it is necessary to quickly bleed the animal. Whomever is cutting has to be careful as the animal can thrust around and hit the knife and cause injury. It is far better to approach from the nose end and to bend over and sever the jugular rapidly and retreat. You will know when the jugular is severed as there will be a rush of blood.

5. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

We put a scoop of grain on ground. With animal's head down, quietly approach from side, position 30-30 rifle at a 45 degree angle from animal's spine, shoot right behind ear into brain. Downward angle towards ground.

6. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I replied to this thread this morning and got kicked off before it posted. My reply was the mental "X" that agmantoo and tyusclan have told you about.
    1) Ask how he or she will kill. Some people hang them live to bleed them out. Personally I think that is insanely cruel.
    2) Ask how many years or how many hogs (specificially hogs) they've killed.
    3) Ask what they will use. A rifle or gun is best. I use a hollow point .22 at six inches from the front of the head aimed at the "X".
    4) Ask about the entire process. They should tell you that immediately after the shot, they stab the hog into the jugular with a long sharp blade and hang to bleed.
    5) Ask what you need to do or provide.
    6) Ask about loading and hauling to your butcher(make sure butcher is open that day).

I had a very bad situation a couple of years ago when I gave a 350 pound York gilt to a neighbor for his daughter's graduation party. I couldn't sell her so I gave her to them and they shared the pork with other neighbors. That was the good part. The bad part was that I offered to help and was brushed aside and told they could handle it. Big bold men that they were. They arrived that morning with a small .22 and shot her behind the ear. She screamed and ran about before kneeling. He shot her again. Still didn't do the right thing. It took three shots for that @ss to be able to put down the gilt. I was sick to my stomach and vowed never again. It took a lot of mental strength to keep my composure. The problem you will run into looking for someone to kill for you is that you will run into many "experts." People who have a Ponderosa image of themselves. Don't know about anyone else but there is an observable difference between knowledge and stupidity. Educate yourself. There are many butchering pages on the Internet. Know the difference and be there if you decide to hire it out. Don't chicken out and leave it for someone else. Granted there is a learning curve we all go through but then a newbie doesn't claim to be an expert. It is my personal opinion that someone who goes through the length of the finishing out process out of compassion, should do the killing him or herself. For that reason I raised smaller pigs. So I didn't need a butcher to cut and wrap.

7. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

A very good book to have is "Home Butchering and Meat Preservation" by Geeta Dardick. Loaded with information on everything from poultry and rabbits, right on up to cattle. I highly recommend it.

8. Abouttime

Abouttime Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your replies-I think I can hire somebody skilled with this information. Tyusclan, thanks for the book referral

Tango-thank you for the detailed response as well as sharing your personal nightmare. Regarding the compassion and therefore personally firing the gun yourself, I agree that that would be the ideal. Let me assure you it is not due to a lack of courage that I am seeking somebody to actually fire the gun. It's my belief that for somebody who does not have the skill to facilitate a one shot finish,the humanity claim would be a grievous facade. I do appreciate your passion and plan to remedy my lack of knowledge and skill of firearms prior to my next trip to the butcher. In the meantime, I will ask the right questions, know the correct answers, generously compensate a knowledgeable shooter and be right by their side during the entire time.

9. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

well put. The only difference for me is I prefer to shoot from the side, aim midway between the ear and eye. I use an sks. Like Tango says, a 22 might not do the job. I also stick the heart through the neck, rather than the jugular. The heart is a bigger target.

10. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

I think I'll bring mine to the butcher and let him do all that . That sounds way too much for me.lol