what do I need to do to make my buck stop horning me?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by maryanne, Aug 26, 2005.

1. maryanne

maryanne Well-Known Member

my buck is 5 months old, I have had him about a month with no problems. today, he likes to try to push me with his head and hook me with just 1 horn, he also likes to rare on his back feet and come at me. Is he playing with me? or what? It certainly isnt funny to me, those horns hurt!!!!!!! It is making me nervous to be around him now, I dont want to be scared of him and I enjoy sitting outside in his pasture with him and the girls, but he is getting to rough. what do I need to do? I already spanked him for knocking me over in my plastic chair with his head, he likes to walk around me while I am in it and rub down his sides then he will push with his head.........

2. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

A large dish liquid bottle with water and a loud NO.When he lowers his head to you, squirt him in the face and say NO.When I break them from jumping on me ,I knee them in the chest and a Loud NO! They soon learn what no means.Never let any one play rough with him or play with him by the horns.

3. TwoAcresAndAGoat

TwoAcresAndAGoat Well-Known Member

I used a stun gun on my adult buck when he started this nonsense. You need to stop this behavior as soon as possible before it gets dangerous.

Don't try just pushing him away or hitting him he will just take it as a challange.

4. gryndlgoat

gryndlgoat Well-Known Member

I agree- you have to stop this right away. My 1 year old Toggenberg buck decided it would be fun to shove me into the barn wall a few days ago. He only weighs 100 lbs but boy did he pack a punch. I got out a spray bottle and blasted him every time he came near with head lowered or stood on his back legs. He now comes up very politely and behaves himself again. He is hornless- I couldn't imagine having the shoving AND horns to deal with. Get yourself a spray bottle- it really works (and many thanks to whoever it was that posted a few weeks ago about spray bottles!!!!!)

5. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

goats hate electric shock. a dog training coller w/ the button hidden in your pocket should stop that. If you happen to have the training aid on hand.

he will associate the action w/ the punishment not you w/ the pain. We had a buck that was being testy and made the mistake of having a whip around. we cracked it to get his attention and the more he herd it the worse he got. direct confrontation will lead to him facing off. IMHO

6. astrocow

astrocow Well-Known Member

I read somewhere on a goat farm's website that if the buck keeps challenging you then grab him and throw him to the ground and don't let him up until you decide to. This supposedy shows him you are stronger and the dominant one and he'll accept you as being number one. Well if anyone else read that nonsense I'll tell you right now it doesn't work. Done it and he still challenges me with his horns.

7. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

You could always send him to freezer camp... But it's the time of year for breeding and therefore time for rut. I like the dish soap bottle idea.... You DO NOT want to challenge him. He'll just get bigger and worse and you don't want to get hurt. We're rooting for you...Good luck.

8. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Another reason to disbud as babies!
    I don't play with my prospective breeder bucks.Just pet and rub them and don't tolerate rough play. A loud NO with a pinch when they misbehave.If they chew on me or my clothes I do slap thier mouth hard enough for them to let go :nono:
    Chas

9. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Our non-dominant doe went through a phase where she'd look for chances to try to push me down slopes while we hiked our paths. It was clearly her way of trying to figure out and establish her herd position. She recognized my husband as the herd leader, but seemed to consider me the stupid one. (Which makes sense since I was always wandering off from the herd to shoot photos of flowers. What kind of moron goes off and lays on the ground looking at a tasty flower and not even eating it!)

To fix the problem I just set up a lot of chances for her to want to walk up behind me and push, listen for the sound of her appoaching, and them I'd turn around fast, stomp my feet, and make a bunch of aggressive sounding noise. (Picture a crazy woman jumping up and down toward a goat with lots of foot noise and huffy shouting noise.) She had a favorite slope to sneak up behind me on, so we started there first.

Worked great! After a few days all I had to do was move toward her and stomp one foot, and then she eventually stopped testing. BTW - this is the same way the goats trained the new calf about how not to go running into a goat crowd and about not being pushy with the goats. Their corrections start with a good thunk or two, then ease off into foot stomps and tough looking body posture, and finally they can get the full effect with nothing more than "making ears" at each other.

For jumping up, ours all try that once or at most twice. We grab their front hooves when they jump up, hold them in the air, and keep them held in standing position until it isn't any more fun for the goat. Then we hold them for a few more seconds while they try to get back down and get away from their game gone wrong. The jumping up game isn't so fun when the humans are "stupid" and play wrong like that. :)

Lynda

10. lacesout

lacesout Well-Known Member

I'm the first to admit I know little about goats. Most of what I have learned, I have learned from this forum along with some first hand experience with our goats. I have a two year old horned buck. He used to 'horn me' and would also block the path when I sent my dogs out the door into the yard. I would wrestle him back or use the hose on him every day to make him move. Finally, I got totally sick of it and whacked him with the handle of my lounging whip until he really backed off. I know some posts have said not to 'hit' him because it will make him worse. In our case, it did not. I am sure it would have made him much much worse if it had been a two-way battle - but he got the worst of it by far and does not bug me now. I just say 'back up' and he moves. He was dam raised but is pretty personable, though not friendly like a bottle baby. At first, I was concerned that he would be cranky and resentful after the experience - but he is not. He is still affectionate (in his own way) but now more willing to listen.

As an aside, I would never keep a horned buck again. His horns are BIG.

Lynn in CO

11. maryanne

maryanne Well-Known Member

the water bottle works like a charm, he hates it as bad as I do the horn in my leg. thanks very much for all the info. as always it was very helpful!

12. missbecky

missbecky Active Member

just like a dog they can be trained.
    My buck would rear up and try to horn me . I would simply stamp my foot and take a dominant position to him and say NO.
    I've tried smacking him and that leads to more aggession.
    My husband did the roll thing and that didn't work.
    I watched them and when the buck wanted to show dominece over the female he would stamp his foot.
    Show him who's boss.
    Don't shove or hit him it will only lead to more aggression.
    Make sure you look bigger than him.
    Put your hand on your hips and lean forward.
    It may not prevent them from rearing up but it will stop them.

` Becky

13. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

hot shot. jazz him with it once, from then on, you should just need to take a stick if he starts acting bucky. again, another reason to disbud at a few days of age. no horns are allowed here.

14. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I would have him dehorned. It will save years of complications due to horns.

15. goatchops

goatchops Well-Known Member

i wouldn't de-horn him because the progress would be long and VERY painful. I recommend the spray bottles.