Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to look at some Dairy goats tomorrow. Is there anything that I should look for ? I am the type that goes AWWWWEEE their adorable Ill take that one. My DD would like to start milking and so would I. It should be a great a family thing to learn together. We already have on goat half Boer and kiko wether he is very friendly but as I have learned he needs company. So I am hoping to come home with 1 or 2 more goats.

·
le person
6,244 Posts
Well, you want them to appear generally healthy. Clear eyes, shiny coat etc. If you are getting does in milk, look for an even udder, that is snuggly held up to the body in the back. A "shelf" is good, indicates good attachments. Check for two normal teats on does that haven't yet been bred.

Ask about CAE and CL status, if they have been tested, if they have ever had CL on their place.

Others will have more info. This is general stuff.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
If you plan to milk, get does that are in milk, and milk them before you decide. Some does are much easier to milk than others; if you are going to milk her twice a day for the foreseeable future it's nice to have one who doesn't make your hands hurt twice a day.

Kathleen

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,435 Posts
First thing that comes to my mind is to TASTE the milk of any doe you are thinking of buying. Every once in a while there is that one whose milk just doesn't taste good to you. I also agree with BlueJuniperFarm in that you should try milking any doe you're thinking of buying.

Good Luck, and please let us know what you wind up with. Pictures are always nice.

NeHi

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wellllll I did it. I bought 2 beautiful little girls. I goat a half La Mancha and Nubian she is sooo sweet I couldn't resist and a Saneen she is very pretty. I can't wait till I am able to post pics. I got young ones though so I have to wait till next year to milk or go buy a milker later on. Sooo it looks like Kiko gets to little does I will bring them home tomorrow. Is there anything I should do before I put them together?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts