what do i give my buck?upper respirtory infect.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by maryanne, Oct 28, 2006.

1. maryanne

maryanne Well-Known Member

he weighs 180 lbs. has a stuffy nose then a snotty nose. I know its like a sinus infection, not allergies. I need to know what name of antibiotic ++and how much++ and for how long.. do I give and how? squirt in the mouth or give a shot? I would rather not give a shot..

2. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I treated a wether last summer with pen G injections. 1 cc per 20 pounds for 5 days minimum (1 more dose after the goat is normal again but at least the 5 day minimum). It didn't seem to be a big deal with the goat.

I used Tylan 200 on another wether but he went wild, spinning in circles and bawling for about 2 minutes.

3. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

Try LA 200 2-4 ccs. For one to two days (I would go with the two days). This is a strong antibiotic and has worked wonders for me!

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Don't forget to give probiotics or yogurt during antibiotic treatment and for a couple days after, as well. :)

5. jd4020

jd4020 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a 2 year old doe with the snotty nose thing. It's a sinus thing as she has not given it to the others girls and now that I am drying her off, I'd like to try something a bit stronger as it seems it has hung on a bit longer than it needs too, although, it doesn't seem to bother her much, no loss of appetite, normal temp etc. Can I get the LA 200 from the local Farm & Fleet or through the vet?
    About the probiotics, is that the only time you use it is after a round of antibiotics? which btw, I tend to use as little as possible. How do get the goat to eat yogurt?
    Thanks.

6. PygmyLover

Well you can get LA 200 from Jeffers, I couldn't find it at any of my feed stores - but that isn't uncommon for me.

you can give probios every day if you wanted too......I use something called fastrack instead. It is all natural and helps their all around systems and is great for helping them obsorb the nutrien in their food.

I don't use antibiotics much either - just this year I bought two goats with problems and I found LA 200 VERY helpful in keeping Jasper alive!

Feeing yogurt to goats......use a syringe (no needle of course). You will get more on you then in the goat, but something is better then nothing. OR you could do it the way I did it years ago.....grab a handful stuff it in and clamp their mouth shut. Not very effective though. lol

Though I do believe the LA 200 will work great for you doe.......if you have VetRx on hand try that up her nose for a few days.

7. maryanne

can I give LA 200 by mouth or do I need to inject it?

8. PygmyLover

Inject IM (in the Muscle) either the shoulder or the hip.

9. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

If you think your goat is getting PNEUMONIA. I would use Nuflor on the goat because Pneumonia will kill in no time if left untreated. This time of year Pneumonia is really bad.

You can also use VetRx Goat & Sheep with respiratory infections. If a goat has just plain all allergies then there isn't nothing you can do but ride it out.

Signs of Pneumonia is goat is: The most easily recognizable form of pneumonia usually has as one of its symptoms a nasal discharge of yellowish (not white or clear) mucous and is sometimes but not always accompanied by heavy, labored breathing. Elevated body temperature above the normal 101.5*F to 103.5*F range indicates infection.

Now if have White or clear nasal discharge is usually (but not always) allergy-related, but if above-normal body temperature is present, then infection or inflammation exists and must be treated. A good rule-of-thumb is to use antibiotics only when fever or inflammation is involved. Overusing antibiotics decreases their effectiveness when they are really needed because the goat's body builds up a resistance to repeated use. This has happened with overuse of penicillin in human beings.

Heck need to read more on this just go to : Tennessee Meat Goat

It tells all the signs and etc...

Good Luck with your goat.

10. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I take the goat's temperature. If it is normal, I give it a dose of children's cold medicine. If the goat has a fever, I use Nuflor.

11. PygmyLover

LA 200 will also work on Pneumonia - just so you know.

12. maryanne

thanks everyone!

13. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I've read that all injections can be given under the skin. That would be a lot less painful.