What do I do?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ajharris, Dec 23, 2006.

1. ajharris

ajharris Amanda

My heard queen Freckles who is a Nubian was due the end of last month, she still hasn't kidded. I thought that she may go over since I didn't have a due date. She had bagged up and now the bag is gone. What do I do? She is acting fine. She acts like nothing is wrong. Do I need to go in and check?

Any advice is appreciated.

Amanda

2. ajharris

ajharris Amanda

bump Please help me

3. enjoy the ride

enjoy the ride Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that this is any help to you but I have had a goat who bagged up, then lost her bag then kidded and the bag came back. So I'm not sure that the bag disappearing means an emergency. Can you see the kids moving or can you feel them?

4. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Is there any chance she could have kidded without you noticing? Like if you have a huge area the goats can run and/or if you didn't see her every day?

Could it have been a false pregancy?

Have you blood tested her to confirm that she is pregnant? Goats don't go this far overdue. If you didn't have a date, are you sure she was due? Or even pregnant?

I don't think you CAN go in and check her vaginally if she's not in active labor or just kidded. The cervix is not open at any other time.

Does she LOOK pregnant?

I'd start with the blood test....

5. ajharris

ajharris Amanda

she looks very pregnant, her ligs are gone but they have been gone for 2 months now. I can feel the kids. I see her every day, she is acting like everything is okay. Maybe she is just fat, but I don't think so. Her sides are sunken in at the top and it looks like she has swallowed 2 beach balls that have settled in her sides. Do I just sit back and wait and hope she has them or what? I won't have the money till after the 1st to have a blood test done.

6. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Is there any chance that she could have failed to conceive when she was bred, but have been bred again during her next cycle? A buck who jumped a fence and got into the herd of does, perhaps?

I have HEARD of bucks breeding a doe through a woven wire fence, though I doubt it is common.

7. neehifarm

neehifarm Well-Known Member

Maybe sit down with a calendar. Try to DEDUCE the most logical breed time...count to 155 days. Do you now think she is overdue, after doing this?
    I have made the mistake before, of counting incorrectly!!
    Also, have someone hold her head..gently press your hands along both sides of her. Babies are fairly active in there...you should feel movement. Don't be confused by 'intestinal' movement.
    Most of my goats here, BAG up immediately after delivery...very rarely before.

8. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I would say that there is nothing to do right now besides watch. If she still seems to be acting fine and the babies are nice and active, I wouldn't be TOO worried... Since you don't have a duedate, it's easy to be off on estimates, especially if she has high multiples... My doe that had quads last year looked like she could have twins or triplets at around 3 months pregnant... When normally you can't visibly tell a goat is pregnant (unless you know her or know goats well) till about the last month and a half of pregnancy.l Her 'bagging up' could just be normal udder development. Keep a watch on those ligaments, because I don't belive that they would be gone for that long; They're not made to be 'gone' for more than a day. They're in place for a reason and some things would start to go wrong if gone for 2 months! I have a couple good ligament pictures that I can provide. It's also been heard of, but VERY VERY UNCOMMON, that a doe looses her ligaments and then gains them back, at least that's what I've read on the fiasco farm website.

9. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Okay, with more info given, I'd say just wait and let nature take its course. Since you don't have a definite due date, you'll just have to keep an eye on her. Have you felt ligaments on other pregnant does and the way it feels when they disappear? Usually the ligaments can be felt until 24 hrs or so before kidding. Are you feeling peristalsis in the rumen or actually feeling kids kick? If the movements are very rhythmic, rippling up higher on the side, it may be rumen action. If you are seeing lots of random movement, limbs poking out her sides, and lots of hard little body parts when you are palpating (feeling) her sides, you've got kids. :D If you have that, I wouldn't worry about a blood test. As long as she's eating well and looks good, things are most likely fine. Take a deep breath, and smile...you're gonna have kids! :D

Congrats....this is always my favorite time of year, waiting for those first babies!

10. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

I second leaving her alone and letting her due her thing.

manygoatsnmore,
    I just LOVE waiting for those first kids to be born :) . I can hardly wait for my first gals to go. I am lucky.....I don't have to wait over a couple of months for all my gals to go :) . I have 2 months of kidding and then I am done :) . I must say my most favorite time is when you start graining the girls (when they have 4 weeks left) and you can feel/see babys kicking and moving around. My all time favorite thing....

MotherClucker