What do I do with walnuts?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Rockin'B, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

My property is covered with black walnuts. They have been dropping now for a couple of weeks and they are everywhere. A thundering herd of squirrels could never put a dent in them. I've never had walnut trees before and I'm curious about them.

Are they the right variety for eating and are they worth all the work to eat them? If they are, what process do you use to get the hull off of them? Are they then dried and eaten raw?

I'm guessing that they are going to be real messy to do with that black stuff inside of the hull.

Anyone want walnuts.....come getcha some! :)

2. wc's ladybug

wc's ladybug Well-Known Member

Rockin'B,my dh says to just send all of them to him and he will dispose of them for you,so not to worry.Those things sell sometimes for 6.00 a lb. and over.Yes,they are messy to get out of the hull and stain your everything black.If you do organic dying,the hulls make an excellant dye.Most allow them to dry a bit first though and then hull them and crack them and use them in baking and cooking and eating raw.They are especially good in jello and with apples.My Mom used to bake apples covered with brown sugar and walnuts.I can still taste them.Some people run over them with a vehichle to break the hulls and the shells are very hard so we always use a hammer and do a bunch at a time.They are well worth the effort and maybe we can get a few recipes on for black walnuts.I used to have a recipe for black walnut cookies and lost it so will be looking for one.Check out kitchen chatter.

3. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

LOL, I have all the walnuts your DH could ever want. This must be a bumper crop.

The squirrels are working on them but they could never gather them all. The Hickory nuts on the other hand, are gone before they hit the ground. Squirrels love those hickory nuts.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll gather some up and see how it goes...

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

We have Buyers here in Missouri,they pay $13 a Hundred Pounds hulled.

We use to run over them in the Drive,bust the Hulls off,crack them,pick the Meats out,dry them a little.Sell them.

big rockpile

5. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Easy way to hull them - put them in feed sacks so they're in a single layer . . . then run over them with your vehicle. Saves picking them up off the driveway and picking gravel out of them. :)

Or you could ship some up to me! :p

6. wc's ladybug

wc's ladybug Well-Known Member

This is a good recipe for Thanksgiving.
    Apple Walnut Cake

3 eggs,beaten
    2 C sugar
    1/2 C veg oil
    2 tsp vanilla
    2 C flour
    2 tsp baking soda
    2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1/4 tsp salt
    4 C diced unpeeled apples
    1 C chopped black walnuts

In a large mixing bowl,beat together eggs,sugar,oil and vanilla.Combine flour,baking soda,nutmeg and salt;mix into the batter.Fold in apples and nuts.Spread into a 13x9x2 inch baking pan.
    bake at 325 for 50-60 minutes.
    Cool.Frost with cream cheese frosting.
    Sprinkle chopped nuts over top of frosting.

I have never gone wrong with this recipe.It is always well received.It is great even without the frosting if you like.ENJOY the cake and your abundance of nuts.

7. PineRidge

PineRidge Well-Known Member

What ever you do, DO NOT PARK UNDER THEM, lol. I got thunked in the head yesterday by one that bounced off the car.

8. chicky momma

chicky momma Well-Known Member

We have a man at our farmers market who only sells shelled walnuts for $7 a half pound. He's sold about 170 bags this year! Also sells walnut weasels, this thing that has a long handle and rolls over the walnuts. Picks them up without much effort, no bending, no touching the walnuts! Also has something you put on the bucket that makes the weasel drop the nuts in the bucket. Big work saver. Said he picked up 60 buckets with it in about an hour.

Lisa

9. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

I couldn't find the Weasel but here are several other nut harvesters.

http://www.mainstsupply.com/product.cfm/4/31/57090

http://www.inthegardenradio.com/products.php?pid=4265&openparent=1471

Heres one complete with film clip and nicknames.

http://www.nutwizard.com/

The Nut Wizard is also called; nut picker, nut roller, gum ball picker, nut picker-upper, basket nut tool, nut grabber, yard roller, walnut roller, walnut tool, nut tool, lawn sweeper.

10. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

Getting at black walnut meat is harder than getting into Ft. Knox! A vice works. I'm lazy, I just sit outside next to a cement block and set a nut down and whack it with a big rock! They sure don't come out pretty, but they taste good. Yesterday when I was working in the garden, one my dogs come with me. She was standing under the tree and a nut fell and hit her on the head! She let out a yelp and looked at me accusingly as if I threw it at her! Naughty tree.

11. blufford

P.S. It wouldn't be Christmas without black walnut fudge.

12. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Chicky Momma can you find out the price for the walnut weasels?

13. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I've got a Walnut Cracker.

big rockpile

14. Kstornado11

Kstornado11 Well-Known Member Supporter

:baby04: OMG you can't even WALK outside here w/out stepping on walnuts!!! They are literally EVERYWHERE!!! I am constantly worried they are gonna fall & konk one of my kids on the head or knock out my poultry... i sure would love to find one of those harvesters around here.... it's murder on my back to pick them up, and the kids & husband are too lazy to help me. If I can harvest them and sell them, I'm spending the money on MYSELF!! Muahahahahaaaa!!! :rolleyes:

15. blufford

I wonder if a golf ball retriever would work?

16. Marjorie Dickso

Marjorie Dickso Well-Known Member

I to, have TONS of walnuts. They get in the horses frogs, can't walk for stepping on then rolling on them. Dang things. Anyway, we don't have a way to crack them except for a hammer. BTW, our dogs LOVE the walnuts. As we crack them, they do their best to eat them. NEVER move into a walnut grove or you will have the above problems as well as always picking up limbs. You live near Carbondale, Ks, you can pick up all the darn things that you want!!!

17. Kstornado11

Kstornado11 Well-Known Member Supporter

Hmmmm... I don't see why NOT!!! Now ,where to find one of THOSE? :shrug:

18. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

We rake them into piles then scoop them up (grain scoop works). DH takes them to a friend who runs them thru his hand corn sheller to remove outside husks, then brings them home and washes them off with the hose and spreads them on screens to dry. He then bags them up and stores them until winter. He then goes to his workshop and cracks a dishpan full then sits in his recliner watching tv and picking the meats out. He sells baggies of meats for $2.50 each ... probably 1/2 pint per bag. Some years we've had so many nuts that I fill garbage bag after garbage bag and put out for trash pickup. I've heard so many times that walnuts are hard to get sprouted and growing. Ha not a chance. They are growing everywhere from the squirrels burying them. Even after tilling the garden we still have them coming up.

19. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

last year I put some in my driveway to run over and take the hulls off. never got past the running over part ;) and this summer I had several sprout in my driveway!

20. blufford

How about this one?
    [​IMG]