What do I do with this van?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MERRYMEDIC, Apr 10, 2006.

1. MERRYMEDIC

MERRYMEDIC LIVE YOUR LIFE...

My ex whom I have a protective order against parked a van on my property about two years ago when he stopped paying for it. He owes over 14,000 on it and apparently has no plans on coming to get it. It doesn't run anymore due to mice eating up all the wires and it has a flat on it. It is a 1998 Astro van and is parked about 30 feet from my pond. I called Wells Fargo till I was blue in the face about coming to get it. Apparently they have written off the debt since they can't find him. I called for hours giving them all his personal info and they could not find him in their computer. Long story short...they won't come get the van. They said they have over 80 different branches of Wells Fargo and I am not calling all of them. Maybe I should just build a goat pen around it, open the back doors (the seats have been removed from the back) and let them have a cozy shelter? It is an eye sore sitting down there by the pond. Any suggestions other than contact with him.

2. ChickenTracy

ChickenTracy Well-Known Member

My experience has been you can give it away for parts, scrap or have it towed. But, if there was an unpaid debt on it then you can't sell it. Otherwise the money has to be turned over to wells fargo. At least that's how our loan went recently when we filed bankrupcy. It was written off as an unpaid debt. They don't want it but we can't get a title to it unless we pay them an X amount of $$. But, we can get rid of it as long as we don't receive any money. We can even drive & have insurance on it. Although the motors shot we don't have the $$ to put into it. Got this info from Chase bank & our lawyer this past December. Keep in mind laws may vary by state.;)

3. Maggiemoo

Maggiemoo BunnySlave

I personally liked the goat pen idea!! My goats would love to have a van in the middle of their pen to play in or on. That's why they are penned to begin with, they wouldn't stay off the cars. Now I have a '65 Stang, and I'll be darned if they are gonna climb on that one.

4. daytrader

daytrader Well-Known Member

You may as well write it off. Get rid of the thing. Scrap prices are high. If you have a title you will get simple auto shredder rates about 80 a ton in your area.

No title NO PROBLE. cut it up and take the higher scrap rate.

Court could be a option, but dose he have anymoney?

5. MERRYMEDIC

MERRYMEDIC LIVE YOUR LIFE...

Apparently not on the money issue. He is over a year behind in child support. I think I might take the bucket seats out and put them in my school bus before the mice eat them up.

6. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Yep as said just give it away for spare parts.Doubtful your Ex could come back on you then.List it as no title and most folks will no why.Keeps down on the dumb phone calls.Most likely it has the 4.3liter engine,so someone might be interested in it.

A friend of mine just went through the same thing when he decided not to finish paying for a car he had that died.It was a real piece of work when he bought it, so of coarse the car lot didn't want it back.Other than chopping it up for spare parts and scrap there was no way to get rid of it with out a title.
    So i pulled it out in the street with my Bronco and he called the city to say someone had apparently abounded it.Problem solved. :D

7. langoley

langoley Well-Known Member

I would advertise it in your local trader paper!!! FOR SALE 1998 Astro Van for parts NO TITLE !!! then name your price !!!

8. Clifford

Clifford Love it, or leave it...

Paint it "Barn Red" with a brush, and have a very unique goat shelter. Put a Privacy Fence around three sides if you don't want anyone to see it, but I'd still use it for a goat shelter. It's free, and you don't have to build one...

Send pics when you are finished....

9. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Around here at scrap price probably bring $250. IF motor runs might get $500 as parts van no title. Personally I'd get it gone.

Kenneth

10. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

My dh suggests that you contact your state and say you have an abandoned vehicle on your property. They should be able to get you the name and address of the leinholder, whom you can then contact and report the vehicle.

Here, you can negotiate for the title from the lienholder. Often they will sell if for pennies on the dollar just to get it off the books. You may need a mechanic to say it is no longer runable. But you may be able to give them a bill for storage. As lienholder they are now the legal owner and you may be able to hold them responsible for the storage bill or use that bill as a leverage to get the title.

I would hesitate to sell a vehicle or advertise a vehicle I did not have title on.

Edited: Legal opinion This is a legal opinion of the laws for abandonment in your state, it has links to the laws so you can read them yourself.

Joyfully,
    Cheryl

11. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

How could ANYONE EVER owe $14,000.00 on a 98 Astro Van? Those things were DOGS when they were brand new!

He must have bought it new in 98 and never made any payments. Call a wrecker service and ask them if they want it for a free donation the next time they are crushing cars for the scrapyard. They can come and get it on a rollback and will do it for free. There are also places that take cars, running or not, for various foundations. But I think ya got to have a title if you go that route...

12. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Bury it and use as a septic tank.