What do I do with Pork liver, tongue, heart????

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mrs_stuart, May 7, 2004.

1. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Ok, I am sure this sounds like a wierd question but i dont really know what to do with the liver, tongue, and heart from the hog that we had butchered. My family just says "we aren't eattin that". So what do i do with it??? Can you fake them out and use it anyhow??? Is there a use for them that i do not know? Please help me out on this!

Belinda

2. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to take liver and grind it like hamburger. Then add an egg, onions and a little flour salt and pepper. Then fry it in patties. My daughter who would never eat liver, ate it and said it wasn't bad. As far as the rest of the stuff, if it grosses you out too much, then cook it in boiling water and give it to your dogs and cats if you have any.

3. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

You can grind the heart the same way, and the tongue. Better if the tongue is skinned first, and you may find that's easier after you've cooked and cooled it. Add finely diced onions, a tough of garlic, then cook it as hamburgers or in a pasta sauce or as a meatloaf.

Of course, there's lots of smallgoods you can make with them too.

4. Might consider these recipes, the cross wise cutting makes sure that you cut across the grain of the muscle fibers, this insures a leaner cut of meat, marinating in vinegar or lime juice will also add in tenderizing the meat:

Scrapple= "cornmeal mush made with the meat and broth of pork, seasoned with onions, spices and herbs and shaped into loaves for slicing and frying." http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/sleuth/0998/scrapple.html

Asado (didn't find a good recipe online)

5. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Organ meats and gout don't get along well. I would use the tongue, but not against my family wishes. When cooked and used in moderation, all of the meat you mentioned would be good cat or dog food.

6. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

If you don't want to eat them yourselves, they make wonderful treats for your dogs!

7. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    The tongue is delicious if you simmer it in water with some herbs and onion and garlic. When its cooked peel the white skin off (DO THIS ALONE not in view of your family. Then slice the meat cold and thin and use it for sandwiches with lots of mustard on good hearty rye or pumpernickel bread. Its delicious. Or reheat the meat with saurkraut and boiled potatoes.

The liver will make a lovely pate. Good cold or as a sandwich paste.

The whole heart should have the inside cleaned out and then stuff it with bread crumb stuffing or some meat stuffing. Cook it slowly in the oven or simmer it like a potroast and serve it sliced with gravy. I use beef heart cut into strips all the time to make spicy stir fry. Should work for pork as well.

8. Mrs_stuart

Wow, so far i am impressed. Who would have guessed that there were so many thing you could do with these "parts"

I do like the stir fry idea...especially with the garden growing right now...that just sounds right.

thank everyone I will definitely keep all of this in mind.

Belinda

9. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

i eat the pork liver with onions fried ,never had tongue, or heart . try using for fishbait if nothing else. or pet food.

10. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

take the heart and put it on a pike outside the pigpen as a warning to all the other unruly pigs who would question your athority....

wait, thats what the USA does with taxpayers... sorry thats right real pigs are far to smart to fall for that trick.
    nevermind.

11. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Slice the heart cross ways into half inch slices.. Pound it with a steak hammer then flower it and fry it.. Your family will not know it is not steak unless you tell them.. Liver is wonderful sliced and flowered then fried for no more than 7 minutes browning both sides. If you cook it longer it gets dark and tuff. Overcooking it also makes the strong flavor that make people not like it. Anyone who eats onions will love it with sautayed onions fried right with it. It is unbelieveably good that way. No funny taste.

12. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

hotdogs, balogney, pickleloaf maybe?

13. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

Pork liver Pate' with brie
    Heart and tongue tacos. Ground fine, with garlic, cumin, diced onions and celery.

14. Michael Leferink

Michael Leferink Well-Known Member

I see a lot of excellent ideas! Here in south Louisiana, we grind up organ meats and add it to our dirty rice, rice dressing and similar recipes. They also go great in a meat pie. A little goes a long way. Enjoy!

comfortablynumb,

That's great! :haha: And correct! :waa:

Mike

15. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

Puree liver and use to make dog biscuits. Dogs love them, I have even chopped the heart and put it in there. I don't usually eat the pig parts like this - beef are good.

16. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

breadfried pork liver is yummy!! Be sure to use crumbs, not just flour.

17. Mrs_stuart

You all sure know your pig parts...I am impressed. i am going to try some of these and see what the family thinks, what do i have to lose??? They can have a sandwich if they try it and dont like it and then the dog will love me. Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!

Belinda

18. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

can liver and hearts be jerked and used for?

snacks?
    dog treats?
    slingshot ammo?

19. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

potbellied pigs are small enough that it is difficult to take the time to harvest everything off the head, so I often just bake up the whole head and give it to my guard dog. That will feed her for about a day and a half. She absolutely loves them. When the vet said she was unusually robust and healthy with wonderful teeth and asked what we gave her for treats, he was shocked when the answer was pig heads, then asked if we had any extras

20. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

Here in the Carolina's they make livermush. It's a breakfast type sausage, a great compliment to grits and eggs :)
    The liver & other parts are ground with cornmeal and spices are added along with smoke flavoring, It's then formed into blocks. :cool: Sliced and fried it's quite good.