What do do with snake skin?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SouthernThunder, Nov 7, 2004.

1. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Well-Known Member

While cutting wood today I disturbed a copperhead. He was back behind me ratteling his tail in the leaves for a good 5 minutes before I noticed him. (I thought my chainsaw was making the noise!) Anyway, I was a little quicker on the draw than he and I now have a headless copperhead and one fewer 357 mag shell. In memory of this poor snake I would like to make a hat band but have never done a snake hide before. Any pointers?

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I never knew that copperhead rattled like that. You learn something new everyday! Never done it myself, but here is a good page for tanning a snakeskin.

3. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

If you don't have time to get to it yet, sprinkle the skin side with some salt and fold it up (skin side together). Put it in a baggie and store it in the freezer til you have time to work with it.
    Also, Tandy leather company has a great product for tanning snake skins. I've made several hat bands and belts for my DH, but it's been awhile! :)

4. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

boyers also back longbows with snakeskin for a nifty looking bow.

5. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Well-Known Member

Yep. Racers will rattle at you too if you make em nervous. Course they don't sound anything like a real rattler but they know how the system works. :)

I'm going to follow the directions on the site you gave me. It says to use antifreeze. Never would have thought of that! :haha: