What do 'bump' and 'troll' mean?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ellebeaux, Jun 8, 2005.

1. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

I keep seeing people write 'bump' on a message? What's this mean?

And on one of the other threads I saw someone refer to someone as a 'troll'. IS this something like a 'lurker'?

Are there any other secret code words I'm missing out on?

Beaux

2. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    As a thread ages it is rotated to the bottom of the list to keep active threads at the top. 'Bump'ing a thread puts it back at the top, keeping it more visible. I'm not sure about the troll/lurker thing. I didn't get the translation book either.

3. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

Bumping brings a thread back up for more people to notice.

A troll is someone who trys to provoke people by asking questions he knows will start trouble.

4. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

The troll thing I kinda figured out from the context of the thread but the bump thing was driving me crazy!

5. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

1. troll
    One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

2. bump
    BUMP to bring up somebody's post typically by posting the word "bump" on a message board
    Can also stand for
    Bring
    Up
    My
    bump!

What's really funny is how long it took me to figure out what the heck DH and DW stood for. Who calls their spouse dear husband and dear wife? I'd never heard i before.

6. emke

emke Well-Known Member

I have gotten is such a habit to write DH, DS (son), DD (daughter) that I tend to call them that when I am in public. People look at me like I am strange. :rolleyes:

7. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

Oh you too. I can honestly say that when thinking of my husband I think DH and have been calling him Dear a lot lately. lol

Of course the other meaning is Darn Husband or Wife, but I think for the most part people mean dear.

8. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

My DW usually just calls me weirdo.......

9. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

...or she.

They often just breeze through a forum spinning off inflammatory postings at high speed, in the hope people will "bite". Think of them as a fisherman trolling a lure.

10. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

LOL, Don, you're right about trolling bait! But too many hours spent reading to children for me.....I always pictured the troll who lived under the bridge and caused so much trouble for the Three Billy Goats Gruff! :p

11. Nan(TX)

Nan(TX) Well-Known Member

I'm a Texan and DH&DW are perfectly legitimate first names.

12. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

Lurkers are the people who mostly just read all or many of the posts without commenting or contributing. I lurked for at least half a year before I even registered. Good way to get to know a forum before jumping in. Folks like me, we read lots of threads, but only respond to a few.

Just figured I'd throw that out there for ya since no one else had yet. :)

13. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

It is absolutely the Three Billy Goats Gruff troll. Long nasty hair, warts on the nose, hump back, tattered clothes, bad breath, dirty fingernails, pointy shoes, a knobby walking stick, gnats flying around, tufts of ear hair, overgrown eyebrows. Probably even buggers. :haha:

14. Nan(TX)

Nan(TX) Well-Known Member

This just part of the info on trolls at cyber-pod. It is a very informative, but long read. If you are new to message boards I encourage you to read the whole article.
    http://www.cyber-pod.com/black-hole/

What is a Troll?

An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on the Internet. He (and it is usually he) tries to start arguments and upset people.

Trolls see Internet communications services as convenient venues for their bizarre game. For some reason, they don't "get" that they are hurting real people. To them, other Internet users are not quite human but are a kind of digital abstraction.

Trolls are utterly impervious to criticism (constructive or otherwise). You cannot negotiate with them; you cannot cause them to feel shame or compassion; you cannot reason with them. They cannot be made to feel remorse. For some reason, trolls do not feel they are bound by the rules of courtesy or social responsibility.

It would be nice if everybody was so easy-going, but the sad fact is that trolls do discourage people. Established posters may leave a message board because of the arguments that trolls ignite, and lurkers (people who read but do not post) may decide that they do not want to expose themselves to abuse and thus never get involved.

Another problem is that the negative emotions stirred up by trolls leak over into other discussions. Normally affable people can become bitter after reading an angry interchange between a troll and his victims, and this can poison previously friendly interactions between long-time users.

Finally, trolls create a paranoid environment, such that a casual criticism by a new arrival can elicit a ferocious and inappropriate backlash.

The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction to reminding others not to respond to trolls.

When you try to reason with a troll, he wins. When you insult a troll, he wins. When you scream at a troll, he wins. The only thing that trolls can't handle is being ignored.

The Webmaster's Challenge

When trolls are ignored they step up their attacks, desperately seeking the attention they crave. Their messages become more and more foul, and they post ever more of them. Alternatively, they may protest that their right to free speech is being curtailed .

The moderator of a message board may not be able to delete a troll's messages right away, but their job is made much harder if they also have to read numerous replies to trolls. They are also forced to decide whether or not to delete posts from well-meaning folks which have the unintended effect of encouraging the troll.
    http://www.cyber-pod.com/black-hole/

15. LiberalCountryBoy

LiberalCountryBoy Well-Known Member

For an example of a troll, see the thread "Well, It's Snowing Again".
    Skim down to the response by 'Sullen' who adds nothing to the discussion but does a fine job of trolling. ;)

16. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

nantx- thanks for the info. some stuff in there i hadn't thought of before.

i'm also really astonished at the similarties between a troll and someone with borderline personality disorder.

17. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

That's a nice description, and I must say that the "ignore" feature on this site is a nice thing to have. Trolls just try to "get your goat" (pun intended given the previous posts)

18. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

DEAR? I thought it was "darn" OR something else I can't write here........THATS what I call mine....I thought dear was for DD, DS, but not DH. When I write DH I don't mean "dear". :p

19. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

HEY!!!!! I am usually nice, you are just mad about that chicken remark, but I am not the one giving you dirty looks. And if you want to be neutral, change your screen name, DUH.
    I could be "Rabid Dem Hater" but I know better.

20. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

Its truly amazing how much the internet has impacted our society.
    All the new phrases & terms to be redefined, I'm uncertain I'll ever catch them all.
    I saw a TV commentary about the 'codes' kids use on the web to let their cyber-friends know that 'they weren't alone, or couldn't type freely', really scary. Whole new shopping-cart for pederasts & pedophiles too.
    Being an aging amateur radioman, I miss the honesty of Morse code. It too far too much effort & concentration to bother with cursing, much less 'trolling'.

But its not all bad either. I've enjoyed the past 5 1/2 years with my email-order-bride. We could have never met except in this fashion.