What did you name your sheep?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by MorrisonCorner, Jul 28, 2004.

1. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Somebody has a sheep named "Baaa b" which I think is a riot... I have named a sheep:

Fudge Baa (solid morrit (brown) ewe) and I have a ewe lamb named "Marmalade" who has evolved into "Marmalady" because she's such a dainty white thing: she was born hard and came out neon orange. I have a moorit ewe lamb I named "Espresso" and her twin brother is "Hamish McBean."

What have you named your sheep?

2. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

Polly and Esther :)

3. shepmom

shepmom Well-Known Member

Ram-Ram, Frisky, Cassie, Heidi, Sandy and the most recent one--named by dh is Billy.

4. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Ok THAT is funny. My father knew sheep named Briggs and Stratton because they were used to clear slopes!

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Rams get names here for sure, we've had Caandian
    Arcotts rams named Johnny Canuck, Beaver, Chip and Chip 2, Polypay rams named Tex (from Alberta), Junior, and Elliot, A Hampshire named Hampster, A Cheviot named Ford, Rideau Arcotts, named Hershey, Rid-iot, (the idiot) a half Rideau named Night and cripes I'm forgetting lots of rams too, like all my suffolks and dorset rams over the years! Ewes have being named Babe (yeah after the movie pig) "Uuuugly" a PB Canadian Arcott ewe, Harley and Davidson (two horned Dorset sisters) Greedy greenie, Purple urple, Sunshine ( a little suffolk X bottle babe), Chrissy (guess why or rather her birthday) and again forgetting too many. Most don't get names unless they breakout and we have rules about posting such names!

6. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Our two older Katahdin rams are Winston, a yearling and Churchill who is four. The 3 new boys we are keeping are Russel, Quentin and Theodore. We have Katie (Katahdin),Bernice and the Silver Surfer ( white silver hair!) as the only breeding ewes with names. The first ewe lamb this year is 'Primula'.
    Oh I forget we have Mufalda, (the witch girl in Italian) who is the wildest ewe of the bunch with an equally crazy wild ewe lamb, Sabrina,the teenage witch!!!

7. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

Our rams' names, past and present, are Coco, Bert, Rambo, and Dodge. The ewes' names are June Bug, her daughters are Midge and Butterfly and her ram son is Monarch. We have a Peanut who's daughter is Shelly (Peanut Shell). The day they are born have given us some names, too, with Sunday, Tuesday and Friday. The big girl was Tank,(may she rest in peace :waa: ), her son is Patton, her daughter is Ridgetop who has a daughter named Tank Top. There is a Cotton, a Fluff, and a Puffball. The lone survivor of quads is named Lucky, (my personal favorite sheep, BTW) Sugar Pie and Honey Bun are not sweet as their names imply. We have a Cool Chick and a Barbie. A lost ear tag gave us the name "Was 17". We have a Hock Spot and the 10th lamb born one year was named Hamilton.

The names always have some meaning to me and my kids and it is fun to come up with them. I know everyone by name but my husband can barely tell the black sheep from the white sheep! :haha:

8. LeahN

LeahN Well-Known Member

Our rams are Hunter, Surprise, an unnamed ram, and a ram lamb I'm keeping that I call Tank since he grew so fast and looked like a tank. We have some named ewes...Star and Spring are bottle lambs from this spring, and Spotty is a dorset/rambouillet cross with some black dots on her nose. Some of the Lincolns came with names....Sandrene and Lee Smith. Thats eight named sheep out of about 60...not too many have names! The unnames ram should have a name though!
    Leah

9. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

My children named our lambs this spring: Black Pearl, Captain Jack, and Elizabeth. They want a Will but I wouldn't let them name the wether that - he's going in our freezer so I named him Lamb Chop... :rolleyes:

The two older ewes are Embers (her face is speckled like she stuck her head in a fireplace and got covered with ashes!) and Suzie-Q.

-Sarah

10. woolfool

woolfool Member

> Somebody has a sheep named "Baaa b" which I think is a riot...

We have "Baaa"b at work, It is short for Robert. Our girls are Nel, Clara, Phoebe, Ethel, Rachel, Flossie and Molly. In our first flock (dogs killed them) we had Meriwether who was a wether, hahaha. And I am just waiting for the chance to name a ewe - Eudora :)

Victoria

11. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

The corriadale X merino twins are named Carmen (her) Santiago (him) their lamb is Craft Basket, named after the shop I work at because I had to bring her to work with me her first day.

The Black ewes are named:
    Mares eat oats
    Does eat oats, and
    Little Lambs eat ivey
    (you have to run the words together and sing them)

12. qwerty

qwerty Well-Known Member

My girls are Little Lulu and her daughter Ruby Tuesday(both red in color) Targhee Xs and Bessie Ann and her daughter Lily Marlene, Suffolk Xs. The ram is a Lincoln named Big Boy after my cousin.

13. spinnDrSandy

spinnDrSandy Active Member

We have Mildred,mother of Mary Margaret and Little Abner. Agnes is mother of Joseph and his father is Walter. Molly and Dasiey are our shetland ewes with Alice Jane, Molly's daughter. Our Shetland ram is Oscar. And then there is Goofie Rufie. When she was given to us she had white muscle disease and pneumonia. By the time we got her well, her legs were damaged and she looks Goofie, but she is our sweetheart.

14. russellsmom

russellsmom Well-Known Member

Our two Katahdin girls are named Roxy and Tinkerbelle.

15. Marcee

Marcee Active Member

i wanted to name our little guy Baba Ganoush, after the eggplant dip, but my kids didn't want him named after food (i thought the name was a riot, and would have just called him Ganoush) so instead we named him after a dutch guy we used to know, Janusz. it is pronounced "Yanoosh". he is a sweetie.

if you care, the goats are fern, ivy and thistle.

the dog is lilly.

the horse is fenna.

and i'll stop there.

16. Polly in NNY

Polly in NNY Well-Known Member

Marissa, Syrah, Meringue, Mystique, Miribou, Reyna, Abby, Brooke, Earl, Sally, Mirage, Matisse, Winsome, Rory, Scout, Oliver, Scout, Mary (had a little lamb), Marmalade, Kelly, Karob, Jess, and the list goes on and on and ....

17. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

Years ago, my two pet lambs were call Anne and Betsy, coincidently the King's two daughters were named Anne and Elizabeth.

18. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Wasn't it Margaret and Elizabeth? The Kings daughters I mean.

19. Lisa A

Lisa A Well-Known Member

Our new ones are Little Bo Sheep and Macy Brown, and we had a Dolly... the
    sheep we've raised for meat have been Stu, Lambchop, Kabob (Bob for short),
    BaaBaa (as in baa baa black sheep, have you any wool), Grilliam and Sloppy
    Joe (yes, there's a theme here...)

20. prhamell

prhamell Well-Known Member

We have the "Powder Puff Girls"... Bubbles, Blossom and Buttercup. The ram we had to get rid of last year was called Jo-Jo (Mo Jo Jo Jones, the evil monkey nemisis of the Powder Puff Girls). Now we just go down the alphabet and my girls pick names. This year was the letter "C". With a 6 and a 3 year old, we get some interesting names. Can't wait till the baby starts in naming them too. I was actually allowed to name the new ram Otto. Becky