What did people do before weatherstripping?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ninn, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

Grrr. Sometimes I am so stupid I amaze even me. For 3 weeks I have been sitting here in a nasty draft. Why? Because the weatherstripping I bought for around the door won't fit in the last place that needs it. It's too fat!! :flame: Why is that, you may ask. (go ahead, you may ask.) The trailer I live in is 3 million years old and not one single doorway in this place is square!! :rolleyes: The door is crooked and so far out of plumb as to be laughable if it weren't such a pain. I have already rolled up blankets and sheets for draft blocker at the bottom-door sweep broke after 2 days. Today, I finally had enough of being cold. :hobbyhors I went on the attack!! I grabbed a fabric remnant from my stash, rolled it up, folded it around the door frame, so as to allow the door to shut without dragging the fabric with it, and then stapled it to the door frame good and tight. TADAH!!!!!! No more draft coming in through that blasted door!! (I did, however, find a spot next to the door frame that is separated from the floor and will need spray insulation tomorrow.....lol) Like I said. Some days, I amaze even me.

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Thats what Newspaper is for. And hang A heavy Blanket over the inside of the door. To cut down on the air flow thru the doos. Use Plastic and duct tape on the windows too.And place blankets or heavy curtains on the windows too.

3. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

Yes that is about correct. I can remember for years we always put down a Big Towel on the floor in front of the door.~! Yes and that was before insulation strips for sure. And years later I then put on a strip.

4. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

Ninn to answer your question they used anything that would block a draft like dry grass mud and anything that would block the draft. Only today people will think that only ruber is the only way to go but anything you use will help.

5. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Yup, a big old quilt tacked up over the door frame.

Nikki

6. brownegg

brownegg Well-Known Member Supporter

We also cut a piece of cardboard and slide in into the crack on our backdoor, it completely stops the draft.

7. hillsidedigger

hillsidedigger Well-Known Member

8. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My daughter's new house isn't even a year old yet and there's no weather stripping across the bottom of her front door. She just shoves one of the dog beds up against it and no more draft!

9. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Seems like everyone is treating the symptoms rather than focusing one the cure. Maybe if none of the doors fit in their frames, perhaps your trailer is not level. Rather than using blankets, dog beds, cardboard. towels, rolled up newspaper and stapled on fabric, some people should invest in a permanent cure...like real weatherstripping.

10. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

Any kind of small soft tubing or hose will work for weather strip. Just cut it to length and stick it in place with a SMALL bead of silicone. On a door gets some small tubing and silicone it to the stop on the door at the top and latch side. On the hinge side silicone it to the jamb right where the stop and jamb meet. Close the door so it can set up a little. I the door doesn't close, move the strike out a little. takes a little work but better than freezing. You can also buy "sweeps" that attach to the door bottom to stop the draft from coming in on the bottom.

11. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My daughter plans to do just that when the ice melts and the roads are safe. But then, there's nothing like using what you have, especially in a pinch.

12. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

My grandfather would put hay bales around the house and when the snow came heap that all around as high as he could. Worked well for me in a basement bedroom- (over the window) until the snow melted!

13. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

You could've used that spray expanding foam, but then you would have been stuck inside :) Don't worry, we've got a house built in the 60's that isn't insulated worth a damn (except for the attic).

14. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

Come spring, we hope to permanently alleviate this problem. After the mud has dried and the lot is settled, we will have the trailer levelled. THEN and only then will we start reframing all the walls and installing real doors instead of hollow core doors.

Cabin Fever-I have weatherstripping everywhere else around the door. With the door being crooked, it was too fat to fit in the remaining space. What I have done for now will hold me until spring, I think.

I'd love to hang a big heavy blanket over it, but it is the main entrance to the house. That would be a fire hazard, for sure. I did hang one over the back door-off to one side to block the direction the drafts were coming in around that door. The framework on that one is metal and my weatherstripping wouldnt stick.

15. Kevingr

Kevingr East Central MN

I live in a house that was built in 1895, logs for a rim joist, logs for joists and real 2x4's in the walls. The original windows in the house had no weather stripping, they were very tight though. The tolerances between the window and the frame were real tight. They weren't as tight as the new windows of today, but I was impressed with how tight they were.

16. Ohio dreamer

Ohio dreamer 1/2 bubble off plumb

We use removable caluk on our front door every winter (it's the original door to our 120+ yr old house...beautiful but warped). We never use this door, so it's no big deal. In the spring I just unlock it and and give a very hard pull and it opens. Then I peal the caulk off. In the event of a fire we could do the same, but going out the back door or a window is more likely. It does keep our house a good 4-5 degrees warmer without the draft! (about a 1/2 inch gap at the top of the door). It might be an idea for your back door.

When we lived in our trailer we actually took the paneling off in the living room and put up plasitc sheeting, 3mm I think, on the west side. Then put the panneling back up. We knew in a fire it would be bad, but we couldn't keep the living room warm at all...smallest breeze made the panneling move. It made a big difference in there. We had a heated waterbed in the bedroom, so if we got too cold we just went to bed and read.

17. highlands

highlands Well-Known Member