What did *I* do?!?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sarah J, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I keep looking up at the sky and questioning what I did recently to irritate someone up there. Yesterday and today come to mind readily.

First things first - a bit of background. I am a seamstress by trade. I work in spandex and make costumes - dance, exercise, superhero/Halloween costumes, fetish outfits...you name it and it works in with spandex, and I've probably made it. All in the basement of my own home with standard sergers and sewing machines.

But I also am an animal lover, land lover, and all-around Rural Woman. I have goats, sheep, a holstien calf, chickens, rabbits, dog, guinea pig, fish, and a cat who doesn't seem to understand (or care?) the dog doesn't care for it.

Last night I was getting tomatoes ready to can. Water was boiling to blanch them and I tossed in the first set to get hot for peeling. My 11 year old daughter stuck her head in the door to tell me the goats had gotten out of their pen (first itme in the year that I've had them!) and were eating the kale and chard in the garden!! The children (I have three - ages 10,11 and 13) cornered the goats and took them back to their barn and pushed a piece of plywood against the opening. The goats promptly knocked it down and went to the garden again. :rolleyes:

So I went out and hauled them back in again and then began putting the door back on the hinges - we kept it off this summer so they could come and go in their yard freely...the door goes back on in the winter to keep heat in. I'm putting the door on when out of the blue and for the first time *ever* my calf jumped/climbed over the 4 foot woven wire fence dividing the two pastures! :eek:

He gleefully ran around the goat pen kicking up his heels until we cornered him (once I got the door on and had the goats contained for the time being). Led him back inside the barn to HIS stall and shut him in there, locking him out of his freedom-pasture. This is late enough that I am NOT fixing fences. (time to electrify it, I'm thinking!)

I ended up by unloading a wagon of hay and stacking it, walking in the door to my house only to find my 13 year old son looking sullen. He announced unhappily that he had broken his sister's door (there is another story there, but suffice to say that they are siblings and he knew he was in trouble at that point). The broken door would not have been a big deal except that it was a) 9pm and I was tired and b) the door that contains the guinea pig and keeps our big, fuzzy, predator dog from eating said guinea pig. Kind of needs to be there and able to latch shut.

So I spent the next half an hour hauling a closet door off of its hinges to replace the broken one (my son's door didn't fit - I thought of that first!). The tomatoes did not get canned last night.

This morning I was tired and grumpy and the goats had escaped into the garden again. One of the hinges had come loose...apparently I was in too big of a hurry when I put it on. :no: So I fixed the goat door again (*properly* this time), did morning chores, and went back inside to work...only to break one of my sergers - during the Halloween season!

Now I'm sure that there is some explanation for this test of my patience and sanity. I'm trying to decide what else will go wrong *before* I lose my mind. My husband is working some odd hours for the next few weeks so isn't home during daylight hours at all and doesn't have the opportunity to help with such situations.

I suppose I should just be thankful that none of this is *beyond* my capabilities and that I haven't broken down yet, right?!?

And yet I still have to wonder - what did I do to deserve this? The answer: I survived childhood. Go figure. :rolleyes: And all I can do is laugh.

Anyone else have that kind of week?!? :haha:

Sarah
    (who did get the tomatoes canend up today, FINALLY!)

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I would guess your being tested for a future sainthood. ;)

3. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

Sarah
    do you do ice skating costumes? That's the lycra/spandex that I've been doing for several years.

But you do make me appreciate what I don't have (goats, garden) to worry about right now.

Just wishing for the land.

Mitch - please keep an eye on Ivan, you may have to run North really fast.

AngieM2

4. Sarah J

I have done a couple of skating costumes, but mostly people come to me for super hero costumes! :haha:

I need more land. I've got four acres and would like to be able to give the sheep and goats and calf more room to run and graze. And make my own hay, too! But we do what we can with what we have, right?

I suspect that everyone on this board is subject to sainthood training at some point! :D

-Sarah

5. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

sainthood headed this way too then....
    well maybe not considering how well my attitude is doing tonite. This last week and a half has been fun to say the least. first dh leaves to go to Aruba to work. Then I come home and some transfer has decided to go down our gravel road that 2 cars can't meet each other on without pulling off the road and tears down my phone and cable lines. Get the phone company out to fix them and the dog gets out. 90 lbs of lab that HATES cats. He of course finds our cat who is pregnant and jumps up the tree to pull her down. She's 10 ft up too! We beat him off with a stick and I drag him back to the back yard. By now I have 6 phone/cable trucks out here and all these guys are getting a kick out me dragging the dog to the yard. I guess it was quite a site as I'm almost 5 months pregnant. Then I go to check on the cat who has finally calmed down enough to let anyone near her. From the looks of her I think the kittens are going to come early so we get her box ready. Sure enough the next morning she has had them. Two of them didn't make it :-( . Then Ivan decides to go through Aruba where dh is. Finally got in touch with him late this afternoon to make sure he was ok. Then tonight I went to get some ice out of the fridege and its all melted along with everything else in the freezer. Thankfully it wasn't much. So I spent 45 min on the phone reaming someone out because this fridge is only 4 years old and we've had it repaired for the same thing 5 times. They need to replace it. I have the warranty on that says they will. I'm tired, haven't had supper yet, and have heartburn from hades already and it will be at elast another week before dh gets home maybe two. So right ow my food is sitting in coolers and it will be 24-48 hours before they decide if they'r going to replace this blasted fridge. If they don't be prepared....Ivan may see calm compared to how I'm going to blow! Oh and dh is grounded....no more out of town jobs till after this baby comes!Especially to tropical beaches where hurricanes are going through. I can't take the pressure!

6. Sarah J

Ginnie, I think that I have nothing to complain about compared to that one. :no: Sympathies heading your way and I'm so glad that your Dh is okay - Ivan looks to be quite a terror! And with no fridge, either...ugh!

Yes - I think you definitely qualify for sainthood.

Sarah

7. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

my goodness ginnie5 soon to be 6.

I think the halo you dropped is around here somewhere,

pleases take care of yourself. You have had a few days of it.

AngieM2

8. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Well...at least I'm not pregnant! There is a bright side to everything, if you just look hard enough. We've been evacuated...again. I have no more energy or funds for running from hurricanes so am just going to sit in a lawn chair somewhere and let Ivan have at me. Hopefully, he will destroy some of the weeds as the lawn mower is still being repaired. If not, send one of your goats... please!

9. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

My week hasnt gone too well either..lol

Last Friday, woke up to no water coming out of the faucets. Got the plumber out after about 8 hours waiting for him to say the well pump is gone. AND that he is going on vacation to Maine for a week.

So we've been without water since last Friday, and looks like till next Tuesday at the earliest, with two kids its not fun.

Then find that the well is at least 6 feet underground, the cap that is...have to dig out a huge hole to even get to the well, and we find that that is illegal now, so they will have to weld on a pipe to make the well stick up out of the ground. Dig the hole , and find that the well is about 6 inches further to the right than we thought, which puts it halfway under the back of the rear wall of the garage. If they raise the pipe it will bisect the rear wall, Im not sure WHAT is going to be done about that. Either cut a hole in the garage or..I dunno.

Then this Tuesday I was out feeding the chickens, tripped over their wire and fell , twisting my ankle. 3 hours in the ER told me I had torn a ligament and have a bad sprain, and have to learn to walk on crutches for a few days.

AND ..heh.. I started college this week, first time in school for me since...prehistoric times. The books are apparently made out of lead, and I had to learn how to go up stairs on crutches carrying a heavy backpack, and how to go back down again.

Plus my son started drum lessons this week. :eek: :waa:

Calgon, take me away!!!

10. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

I would say lets all run away to an island but with our luck a hurrican would probably hit us head on! LOL! Called the reapir company this am and they doubt they can get out here today. Tomorrow will be SAt so I definitely don't expect them then. I've been calling all around this am trying to find a fridge cheap to get us by. got some friends making some calls first though to see if I can find one free. I am on a limited budget with dh being out of country. I only have so much $$ to last till he gets home. then this am I get a call from the road engineering dept and they want to pave this gravel road that runs right through our property. I WILL not sign the right of way for that! Hopefully I can just get this road closed. I called dh and spent 30 min on the phone with him. Dread to see that bill! But it was so good to talk to him. He's having jsut as hard of a time down there. he doesn't have a passport so he's just there with his birth certificate which means he can only work 7 days then he has to leave the country. With the hurricane the soonest flight he can get is Sunday. Dh is NOT a touristy kind of person either. The storm knocked out the cable so he is kind of annoyed. Doesn't want to go just enjoy the place cause I'm not there with him he said. made me feel good that he misses me so much! So I'm just hanging in here. gotta go get ice for the cooler and I replaced the cord on the plug in cooler last night so we will survive without the fridge its just a big aggrevation! We're taking this opportunity to give the kitchen a good cleaning (like the top of the fridge and those other places short me cannot see) in anticipation of maybe replacing this one! At least I know it will come out in the wash one day!

11. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

You girls sound like Navy wives. I used to live in Coronado, CA. The ship cast off and while I could still see it in the harbor, things started breaking. It's a law of nature. The good side is that you find out what you are made of! You are all stronger than before this started, and you now have more confidence in yourselves. Congratulations!!

Affectionatly,

Sandi

12. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

BOY! You gals are making me feel better already! Carpet (been waiting 5 years) came today just as I realized that the fluid drain on the compost toilet had plugged up (right after the crap flood) So here I am hauling the darned compost toilet out the back door balanced on snowmobile dollies in my pajamas just as my new carpet pulls up the drive way! Spent two hours working on the toilet in jamas and then went out to feed the hens and water the garden. Two small chickens got out and were immediately consumed by my loving companions (springer spaniels - bird dogs). That started me crying, the cry I have needed to have since last week when we finally drilled our very own well (hauling water for 6 years) only to find it 380 feet deep and dry! Think the cry did me some good as the migraine went away :). DH went out of town for a couple of days cause he does not like it when the house is looking like it has been hit by a tornado. So I was left to move all of the furniture out onto the decks etc for the carpet men. Dropped the headboard (made of 12 inch thick lodgepole) on my right foot and broke my great toe. Did not have time to go to town to doctor, so just straightened it myself (ouch) and splinted it with some popcicle sticks LOL and electrical tape! Classes started this week for me too, third semester of college after 30 year break. Have discovered I have taken too many hard courses! But by golly the new carpet feels great on the feet, and DH had the gall to ask if I wanted to give up the carpet and put the money into another well fund instead! I guess men just dont get it sometimes!

13. fellini123

fellini123 Well-Known Member

It must be in the air!!!! Hubby sold my 1987 Jeep and bought me a real nice 1995 Chevy Mini Van. It is very beautiful, except that the transmission broke the second day we had it!! Tothe tune of $2200. So added to the cost of the van it is $4100!!! Not at all what was expected. Had to use all the $$ out of my "enlarge the kennel" fund. THen we went to the post office and the other van wouldnt start!!! We had to have it towed, another $45.00, and replace the fuel pump!! $616.70. As it was being repaired we were driving the first mini van. Took it to Sams, and, yes you guessed it IT WONT START!!! Hubby says it is only a lose connection in the starter. So sometime it starts and sometimes it doesnt!! When it doesnt you have to hit on the top of the dash to get it to go!!! ARRRRRGGG I am so frustrated!!!!
    Alice in Virginia

14. djgaryvee

djgaryvee New Member

Hang in there Alice. Through past experience like you are now experiencing, I decided not to buy others problems. I buy only new vehicles, then you know what you have. I have a 1989 Toyota Cargo Van, 15 years old and still running with 176,000 miles logged. In 2002 I bought a new Honda Odyssey Van after retiring, because I had previously owned a Honda car, which was of superior quality and reliability. I have friends who constantly buy used cars and vans, and are always having problems and expenses with them, or move on to buying another cheap vehicle. Where does it end? The only "safe" buy in a used vehicle is when you know why it's being sold, and the person selling it. Why buy someone elses problems? Or check to see the history of the vehicle you are buying.
    Good luck......Gary Vee in VA.

15. fellini123

fellini123 Well-Known Member

Actually only the one vehicle was used, the one that had to be towed and had the fuel pump go out, we bought new. Just had a new transmission put in that one in Dec!! To the tune of about 2100 also.
    We cant afford a new car, you know the cheapest one you can buy is about 7000 and it is not big enough to haul dog crates in. We have no credit so cant get payments........so it has to be used for us.
    The car he bought me looks to be in wonderful condition. And hubby used to work both as a mechinac and an auto body person. The back seats have never been sat in, and the passenger seat has been used rarely. In some ways this is almost a new car, except for the transmission. Hubby now admits when he was installing the new radio he "may have" unseated one of the switches!!! So that could be the cause of the trouble starting!! LOL
    Alice in Virginia