what did i do wrong??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by goatgirl92, May 6, 2005.

1. goatgirl92

goatgirl92 Active Member

ok, so i waited forever for my doe to have her babies. Finally, April 16th, the day came. we had a buck and a doe that i planned on useing for 4-H. We were going to sell the buck afterwards (as a weather) to a friend as a pet. now, since the day they were born i have been handling them so that they would be friendly and tame. It worked out great. they ran and played then jumped into my lap and let me pick them up and wouldnt spook... ever! I had them in a 12' x 12' empty horse stall (bedded with straw) for about a week and a half. Then the stall needed to be used so I rigged up a small pen(chain link) with a run in shed with a large dog door (that can close and lock for at night) they were still running in my lap and such for abour a week longer but then thats when the trouble happened. for a week now they have been skittish, wont let anybody hold them, and runs from you. The only thing they do is SLOWLY climb halfway on my lap. then as soon as i move my hand to pet them they will run away. the buck is worse. he wont even do that! i was outside in the pen today, just sitting, and i was talking to them and wasnt really chasing them or anything. nothing. zip. not only are they no longer interested but they are scared. ugh!! :grump: :bash: :grump:

They both were dehorned yesterday using the hot iron thing and the buck was banded. could this have something to do with it?? the thing is that they were scared before we did this too. i asked a horse friend and she said that her baby horses sometimes go throught stages where they dont want to be touched, then the next few weeks you cant get rid of them, then they go back to normal. she told me to ignor them and they will get over it but i dont want them to lose my trust(if they havent already).

So is there anything else i can do?? What did i do wrong? or is it just a phase? please help! its really depressing knowing that the work i went to tame them went down the drain! Goatgirl

2. goat mother

goat mother Active Member

Hi, you did not say in your thread if the kids were on the mother or bottle feed? Here's what we do maybe it will help. The kids (females mostly)that we get that we are going to keep or we are traning for someone who want's a show goat, we bottle feed at least one feeding a day that come to u because they know that u mean milk. We have 2 85% bucks at this time we are feeding only the bottle (mom's milk) because we are going to keep one and sell one.Buckshot the one weare going to keep for breeading we want him to be clam and use to us all of the time maybe he will not be mean. Go to your feed store and get soda pop teat, it is red and you screw it on a 12-16 oz pop bottle, it is soft and easy to suck on. If u can you need to feed the mother's milk if you can't than we feed Purina kid milk replacer it really the best that i have found dissovles very well in warmmer water. Also just keep being in the pen with them it will happen. This is just something that we do, because we want our does to be very friendly as we will need to be around them a lot.
    Goat's are great they have there own personality's, some are just more stubbern that other's and we have a few of those.
    Good luck and God bless.
    Felica ;) ;)

3. goatgirl92

goatgirl92 Active Member

Well the babies are on the mom and not bottle fed. so should i just let them climb on me for a while without reaching to them to pet them or anything just to get them to regain their trust in me??? ugh... so frustating.

Also, this doesnt have anything to do with tame goats, but i was wondering when i should start worming the babies and whats the best to worm with.

The babies are 3 weeks now and on the mom. the mom isnt my goat(quick glance at mood ring... black=stressed) and when i sugest to the owner to worm her ( i just KNOW she has lung worm and has for a while because of a hoarse voice and repeated coughing) she just kind of blows it off.

I have available pellets the does owner bought last year ( that she never used :mad: ) and also Quest horse wormer. which would be better or should i buy another type? thanks for any input.

4. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

I believe ivomec covers lung worm. I like the drench best but if you are only worming one goat for lungworm then maybe a vet could give you a single dose. This will also cover lice and mange mites.

I won't hurt to worm the babies. I use cydectin. I drench them with 1-2 cc per baby depending on weight. Then I take some in my hand and put a light amount on their backs. It works within 24 hours. Helps with lice too. Just be careful not to give them too much. Their bellies may not handle it too easy. I've never had a problem as they were on grain at 2 weeks and seemed to not mind something else in their mouths.

Be careful with horse wormers. Anything listed for horse bots, do NOT give your goats.