What defines streaming?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by famer_manda, Apr 14, 2006.

1. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

How much of the plug has to be shown before its considered streaming? All the pictures I see show the streaming to be about 7 inches long. My goat is at about an inch below.. Is that streaming or has she just not slapped it away with her tail lately enough? Her tail is getting kind of dirty. I wish I had shaved her.

What point does it become streaming and I can break out the cappacino and the lawn chair? What does goat labor look like? again I dont know how to find the ligaments. unless it feels like two pencils but i swear that feels like bone and not a ligament but then again, maybe that is the ligaments and in that case, we got awhile because they are firm pencils :p

2. famer_manda

btw its 75 degrees today.. they are both panting but I dont dare try to take them out into the yard and try out their trolley chains.. They will put up a fight and I just dont think its the time though iwant them to get to some grass.. They are panting and they are warm. How will I know the difference between im too hot panting and labor panting?

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Labor is the same with most animals... Lots of noise, lol. I think my doe was swearing at me. Check out www.fiascofarm.com they have some good pics of a doe's before and after shots of loosing ligaments and a TON of kidding info, not to mention other info as well. Also, not all does stream, mine just had a teeny tiny bit of white discharge the morning of labor, and after her water broke it was a stream... that was when real labor starts :)

4. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

I don't think those sites really pretain to pygmy goats, At least not mine.

As for the ligs, You may be trying to feel out too far, remember the site is showing you a biiiggg goat not a pygmy. Try taking your index and middle finger and seperate them about an inch apart and try to feel for them again, If that doesn't work try and see if you can touch your index finger and thumb around almost the base of the tail. If the ligs are still tight you should be able to feel them this way.

5. famer_manda

Yes I kept feeling for them today and they just have to be the hip bones. I just cannot feel anything close to the tail. If I pinch around the tail, I dont really find any resistance. The area looks more sunken in and the lower back has raised up in the last few days. But there just isn't any labor so I figure I must just be missing the ligaments somewhere.

When she urinates, then there is the plug and it usually is quite a bit. Its not like just this teeny bit but sometimes it hangs about an inch down. Not like the pictures but not teeny or anything.

But there just isn't any labor. I wish I could do a webcam walk out and have you all tell me exactly what I am doing wrong and you can watch my goat for me while I sleep tonight and ring a bell if I needed to wake up LOL