What cow to get?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Maddiequus, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Maddiequus

Maddiequus Farm Goddess

Hi all, I wanted to say I am in awe of all the knowledge you people have!! :worship: This board is amazing!!
    We just bought an acreage and want to get a Brown Swiss (DH makes cheese). It's just a family cow so we don't really care if it's registered or grade. My parents also want to stand a beef on our property and we are trying to decide what to get. I was reading some of the posts about bulls; would it be a good idea for them to buy a yearling bull and breed our heifer, then slaughter him and get crossbred babies? I just thought that would help extend the profit of the beef. What is a good breed of beef to get?

2. Belle

Belle Active Member

Welcome Maddie. How much milk do you want? And are you going to buy steer calves to feed out or depend on your milkcow's calves for beef (then they get a share of your milk too)? Bulls are a lot of trouble and legal liability (they go find girls and you are responsible) so I don't think that will work. Have you compared production of Brown Swiss to Jersey and Guernsey? and don't forget Dexters (dual purpose for milk & beef). Happy shopping!

3. kathy taylor

kathy taylor Member

Try a Yak. Yak meat is lighter tasting than beef and is good cholesterol. And, these qualities go down to the fourth generation in yak/cattle crosses. If interested go to www.IYAK.us. There fun to raise also. I have a whole heard and some really effectionate bottle fed babies. Love them all. katherine.taylor@dfas.mil

4. Ken in Minn

Ken in Minn Well-Known Member

Hello Belle
    I do have a nice Dexter cow, that has been milked. I have never milked her, just bought her last summer, she will freshen in June. She is a Dexter and bred to a Dexter. She will come right up to you in the pasture. She's nice, I am 60+, told my Dad when I was 14," That's the last cow I will ever milk" and it has been the last. And I love milk and the cows. anyway, if I can help you, send me a note.
    Ken in Minn.
    Home of www.soycandleworks.com