Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Conscientious Disrupter
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say, for whatever the reason(s), you had to drastically reduce the amount of stuff you have. Or maybe the amount of stuff you pay for on a regular basis. Maybe even your housing. Could you live in a tent? What would you consider necessities? Luxuries? Would the livestock go, or the internet? Could you deal with the realities of real off grid living? Maybe you lost your job. Could you cut enough expenses to forage, hunt, garden, burn wood for heat,...etc?

Reactions: elkhound

·
Poo Fairy
6,495 Posts
I used to live in a tent and plant trees for the forestry......in my 20's
Now I am spoiled, I still garden, chop wood, and know how to hunt, I have lost everything many times over. The thought of loosing everything again at my age would most likely push me to the edge.....LOL!!

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
I used to live in a tent and plant trees for the forestry......in my 20's
Now I am spoiled, I still garden, chop wood, and know how to hunt, I have lost everything many times over. The thought of loosing everything again at my age would most likely push me to the edge.....LOL!!

Hot and cold running water is wonderful, and a washing machine is great, but I'd probably trade them all if I needed a tarp. :D

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I have things I could sell and live for awhile. The more I am alone the more I think of stuff as a burden. The one thing I would want the most if I had to live like this is a skilled partner. I think anything else I had would be a bonus. I'm not sure I answered correctly but this is what came to mind.

I disconnected my satellite and have an antenna now. I miss it some but most of the time I don't. The internet would hurt the most I think but if I had a good partner I wouldn't miss that.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
being totally out of debt gives me huge flexibility in the things and ways i wanna live and do.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Stooped peeopl whou cand spall. Oh you mean things? I could pare it down to three guns instead of three gun safes?
I resemble this remark. Three people in my office and none of us are very good at spelling. We have a dictionary that is worn out!! Lol

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
ahhh the spellin police....lol

·
Conscientious Disrupter
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think no electricity would be real hard. Mostly because I love to read, especially at night, and I already have bad, tired old eyes. No TV here at all. Just a DVD/VCR and that's not on much. But as long as I had a heat source I could make do without it for cooking, hot water, ...etc. The library is a two mile walk, so if I absolutely needed the internet I could go there.

I've also lived in a tent, and a vehicle, but I was younger too. I wouldn't mind carrying water because I'd make sure I only did when it was truly necessary. Winter would be hard on that though. I'd really hate not having my coffee. Probably try to barter pretty regular to get it. Or maybe grow a good patch of chicory and make do.

I think tambo's partner thing is actually a really good point. Thinking about it logically, there are a lot of advantages to a teamwork approach. Even if it's only a team of two. And keeping it small reduces friction while not increasing supply needs too much.

·
Poo Fairy
6,495 Posts
Stooped peeopl whou cand spall. Oh you mean things? I could pare it down to three guns instead of three gun safes?
Look's like someone's trying to move in on shannon's job as the spelling nazi......LOL!!!!

·
Conscientious Disrupter
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well thure's been a void. It's beeen notioced by those in the gnow. Or is that gnome?

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
hey they both live in same state...roflmao...go figure...lol..must be drinking from the same crick.

·
Conscientious Disrupter
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really though. Get past the showering together saves water and conserve body heat by snuggling innuendo and you'll see the simple logic. Then there's watching each others back while hunting and foraging--I said watching, not washing. Plus, ever see a chimp trying to get a tick off its own back? Now that's funny, there. There's a lot more stuff like that, that a single person has a hard time doing alone.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Living without hot water, water, electricity and other modern conveniences would hurt but I could do it. I would suffer some from lack of skills and I would need some cheese to go with my whine.

I would like to be off grid right now. At the least have the capabilites in place just in case.

I had someone tell my once I must really be bored to make my own crackers. Lol I told them I just wanted to learn how to make them in case I ever needed to. They couldn't understand the need to know such a thing.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
I lived in my house without power and when your on a well its a real problem, getting water, I did rain collection but it was still a pain in the butt, washing clothes and drying them, washing dishes, flushing. all get old fast. most of our homes are just not set up for non running water. maybe a water tank on the roof would help with a hose in the 2nd floor window then to the 1st floor. but winter would be a real problem. Cooking was a pain as well took too long to do everything. Refrigeration was another problem. nearest store 12 miles one way for ice dont work. a hot shower another problem. now fans to run, winter would do me in. I had no propain for awhile with the 3 young kids, I put a tent up in the basement and closed part off around the wood stove. what a mess that was. Now at my age I could not do it, I would close up the house and walk out of here if I had to. Just cant do things like I us too. summer is one thing winter a nother.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
if i build a new home its going to be both on and off grid....i have spent alot of time looking at,reading and learning...theres no reason to suffer off grid..in fact i think if we think outside the box we can live more comfortable overall than currently most do.

this book by ben faulk i am reading is very interesting about homestead design.

my woodstove is the most vaulable item i have 5-6 months of of a year. i also have a woodcook stove in storage for the home i wanna build one day.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
hey karl...look at this...yea i know thread drift but i am doing several things at once and this goes with foraging...lol...think of it being used on small deer tenderloin...oh man !!!

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Tasso.pdf

·
Renegade Gypsy Queen
2,126 Posts
Like many, I've done without most everything several times in my life and some were for a rather longish period. It was really hard especially because I had no backup, there was no plan to be that way when it happened.

I've learned. I work very hard not to end up like that unless on purpose. For me, I don't have a lot of stuff anyway and I am continually getting rid of things, consolidating things, etc. Everything is for sale at the right price ;) Okay not EVERYTHING but material items lol. Like this move to this teeny apartment...I had accumulated furniture in the last places that people gave me. I felt like it weighed me down because I am the only one usually moving my stuff and I feel like right now I have to be nimble. So I got rid of it and paid my car insurance.

People have laughed when I say that when I move out of this place I intend to move out with two duffel bags and my toothbrush. I will make this a reality though.

I specifically chose a place this time with my utilities including internet all in one lump for rent. All inclusive. If I want to watch a show, I have the internet.

I can do without the internet at home. Being on it and dealing with it for a living wears a person out on it anyway. I'm neither here nor there with it while home. My home is my sanctuary...if I work outside the home I do not bring work to the home. Same as I do not take home to work.

In my current situation and living not having a vehicle would be really bad. I'd lose everything then for sure because I wouldn't be able to get to work.

But if we are talking about ideal situation....all I need is a bit of land, cabin and a way to reach people and water. The rest, I can invent if I don't already have the means.

WANT to have to scrounge and invent is one something else though, I've done enough of that. I'd rather do what I am doing now and saving 70% of my income for ..... THE DAY! :nanner:

1 - 20 of 88 Posts