What Could Do This?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Tango, May 14, 2006.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I went out yesterday for the first time in a long, long time. I left at 1 and got in around 9 pm. Everything was quiet so I went to bed. My son had locked our dogs up inside the house when he took off with friends for the evening. I've asked him not to lock up the LGD but he keeps putting her in at night. This morning when I went out to feed I saw two bucklings apart from the herd. Then I saw blood on their legs. A closer look showed lots of puncture wounds on their bellies and legs One of them had his testicles torn out. Neither is eating. The mother is very upset and looks really rough and dirty, like she'd been chased through the bog but there is blood by the house where they always hang out and the bog is at least 500 ft. from the house. I don't see any wounds on the other goats but two of them are limping. They are all nervous and quiet. I would think they'd be screaming. There's been a lone coyote here during the daytime but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have left them alive. It almost looks like my bucklings were played with??? Could this have been a stray dog?

2. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

Marcia,
    I am so sorry to hear your goats were attacked. How awefull! It certainly sounds like a dog attack, but I wouldn't rule out the coyote. I hope the wounded ones recover.

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

sounds like a dog attack. have you checked your fences?? also those punctures are probably filled with all kiinds of bacteria. at least get them all started on antibiotics, if it's not bad enough to call a vet.

coyotes are fairly small. unless a whole pack came down, i don't think they could cause that much damage. geting one young kid would be about all a lone coyote could handle.

now one medium, sized dog.... they can tear a herd up.

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks. It made more sense for a dog to have done this kind of damage. I was thinking the one with the torn sac might have to be put down. I hear him gurgling a little when breathing. I got them on Biomycin and will keep an eye on them in case I do need to get a vet out but my vet doesn't come out on Sundays. You know out here, people dump dogs, dogs get lost while hunting, people let their dogs loose at night to go "tree" stuff. It's crazy. My fence is a barbed wire cow fence along the perimeter, a dog can easily get through and I've seen stray dogs in the middle meadow too :( My dogs should have been outside doing their jobs :grump:

5. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

i am thinking small to medium sized dogs, a coyote would have killed and eaten the bucklings,

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Well-Known Member

Check along your fence. Many times a dog will leave hair on a fence when it goes over, under, or through. Most times coyotes will not leave hair. At least you might see what color animal has been through your fence.

7. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

SOunds like a dog, one of our bucklings got attacked by the neighbors dog, and he would never have even been chased if he hadn't been the skittish one, the dog attacked twice before we knew it was him and both times he went after the goats that ran the most, he wanted the sport of it. Good Luck with your little guys, I will be praying for them. Good Luck, bye.q

8. wooly1s

wooly1s Well-Known Member

My heart breaks for you, I hope everybody pulls through. We run two LGDs outside the pastures, and llamas in the pastures, in case the LGDs are otherwise occupied...
    Keep us posted.

9. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Make sure the antibiotic you are using is specirfic for gram-negative and gram-positive anerobic bacteria.
    I just got dog-bit myself and they were very picky about the antibiotic they gave me. I think Biomycin is good, it is an erythromycin, isn't it?
    I personally can't take Penicillin, erythromycin or sulfa, so I've been on clindamycin...which when given to animals I believe is called lincomycin, but don't quote me on that, cause I'm not sure!

I suppose your son now knows why you want the LGD out at night...I'm so sorry your goats went through this. It probably could have been a lot worse!
    I hope they all recover quickly and well. Are you giving them probios? I now know from personal experience that it really, really helps when you are on antibiotics!

Blessings, Jill.

10. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Tango, it does sound like a dog attack. How are the goats doing now. I lost my buckling, Lucky, to a dog attack last year. It broke my heart. Everyone sustained injuries, but Lucky got the brunt on it. Now maybe your son will understand the importance of leaving the dog out.

11. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Well-Known Member

Yes I believe it was dogs as well. We have a coyote problem here and when a coyote strikes.. it strikes to kill and eat. Dogs seem to just attack just to chew and cause damage. Sorry to hear about your goats being attacked. Be careful with that lone coyote. It could be a scout.
    Dr,Who

12. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Before we got our Great Pyrenees Dogs, we lost over 20 goats to dog attacks. The roving dogs just run the goats and rip them up and leave them in shock with horrible wounds. Coyotes and wolves are at least doing it for food. Now we don't even lose chickens to hawks! Haven't lost a goat one or a chicken. The LGD keep strays run off' predators run off and love the goats. Yesterday we found a dead coyote.

13. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Glad to see that your LGD is doing a good job TexCountryWoman. Tango, how are your little ones doing? I will continue to pray for them. Good Luck. BYe.