What color is this?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by awfulestes, Apr 26, 2006.

1. awfulestes

awfulestes Well-Known Member

The pic does not show the orange on the tips of the fur. Weird colored rabbit or what? I have been looking up rabbit colors for weeks and don't find many pictures of the blue and orange fur. I just say she is blue LOL . Looks really cool in sunlight.
    What do you think?
    http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/awfulestes/Picture018.jpg

2. ozarkcat

ozarkcat Well-Known Member

Has it been in sunlight? We had a few opal & lilac does whose coats got sunburnt and they had the brownish/orangish on the tips . . . .

3. awfulestes

It has been in the sun off and on with the kids. Opal is what they said on BYC too. But I looked up that color and didn't see about the orange. I believe you are right and I thank you.

4. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

That's kind of wierd: it looks a bit like opal. Or maybe a form of chinchilla. Try http://www.bonnebunnys.com/genotype.html, it's got pictures of various colors in Holland Lops.

Opal is diluted castor/agouti (depending on what breed you're looking at). Each hair is banded with several different colors. The roots are slate blue, the intermediate color is fawn, and the surface color is blue. They also have typical agouti-type markings, which your rabbit does have.

What color are the parents?

5. Oceanrose

Oceanrose Driftin' Away

Looks like an opal to me. Blow into the fur, if you see rings, it's an opal - or that's my best guess lol.

6. awfulestes

The mother is an orange holland lop and the father is blue and white lop mix.

7. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

Does it have agouti pattern markings?
    White belly, eye rings, inside of ears, underside of tail? Tan nostrils, triangle behind ears? Looks like an opal to me, too.

Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com