What Color Buck?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Lilandra, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Lilandra

Lilandra talk little, listen much

HI
    just returned from county fair... not a real good experience this year.
    Our reserve grand champ from last year got a blue ribbon because her toenails where too long (they were flush with the paw and just slightly over the quick of the nail) , and a mut (was sold to this poor kid as a flemish, but was more like a new zealand/flemish cross) rabbit placed ahead of her.

Anyway there were alot of comments about people buying their trophies by buying former champions... we bought our rabbit from a champion breeder, his rabbitry has a long history of winning the largest rabbit at state fair and at shows.... I felt kinda bad about this and want to get into breeding. My son thinks its a great idea, my daughter wants to do it but doesn't want to sell any rabbits - she likes being the only flemish at the fair.

SO... what color?(we've decided to sell to people outside of our area only)
    We have a light grey doe and a fawn doe... and just want one buck.

2. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

I am just learning rabbit genetics, so I'm not really up on particular breeds, but Light Gray in Flemish is an Agouti Chinchilla with the wide band gene. Fawn is Agouti with the non-extention e gene, but is not wide band. So the two colours have in common Agouti, but that's about all. Why not get a buck of whichever colour you like the best of those two?

Jennifer

3. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

LOL, no idea, but maybe http://mr-colors.tripod.com/ would help. It's a Mini Rex site, but hopefully you can figure out what's what. I believe the color "red" in Mini Rex is genetically the same color as "fawn" in Flemish Giants (non-extension ee?), at least according to the book Rabbit Production.