Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a little issue. I have a broken chocolate doe. I'm wanting to get a buck but I don't know what to get that would be good to breed with her. I know I can get a chocolate or broken chocolate but I don't want to do that unless I really have too. She is full pedigreed and in her pedigree she has chocolate, broken chocolate, blue, broken black, black otter, rew, lilac and broken lilac. I know a person that has a litter right now and in the litter there is a broken blue, blue otter, broken black, black otter, broken black otter, blue, and a black. My niece and I are really liking the black, broken black otter, and blue otter but I don't know if any of those would be a good choose for my doe. I know the person has a few more does due so I could always wait but I'm really liking those 3 kits. What I want is to have good looking kits that are showable because once my niece is old enough she wants to start showing rabbits. So I need some help here on what I should do or what color would be good for my doe. Here is a pic of my doe.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
This probably isn't going to be of much help, but here's my opinion. First off, if you are looking for showable babies, I would highly recommend staying away from a broken buck. Approximately 25% of the babies would be charlies, which are unshowable, no matter how good their conformation. I don't know rex/mini rex, so I can't help with any color preferences within the breed. What you might get with any individual buck will depend on the exact genetic makeup of each rabbit. With the otters, you will probably get black and black otters. With the selfs, you will likely get blacks. There may be a possiblity of chocolate and chocolate otter from any of the listed colors, but only if they carry chocolate. Clear as mud?

Do you know the colors of the parents of your doe and the possible bucks? That may help.

Biggest thing I can say is to look more at conformation and less at the color. Better to have a boring colored Grand Champion than a fantastically colored Frankenbunny.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with OakHollowBoers. Getting another broken would not be good because of getting so many nonshowable bunnies (charlies). Personally, I'd go for a blue self, but I really like lilacs! Wait for another litter or 2 to get a better choice.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
For the rabbit newling here, is there a problem with the charlie color? That's the one that's all white except around the eyes and ears, right? Are all charlies unshowable? I will be breeding primarily for meat but I am trying to learn color genetics for the future as well.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
There is no problem with charlie color except that color is only often present as an uneven butterfly, some color on ears, and occasionally a few bodily spots. That makes it VERY hard to evaluate the quality of color of the animal because there is almost none to evaluate, and what is present may not be very good to evaluate color. A charlie may be a great benefit to a breeding program if you understand this about using them. (of course, if you want brokens, breeding a charlie to a solid will result in all brokens).

Generally standards call for at least 10% of body color, many breeds want more. A highly marked Charlie may be able to get away on the show table, but they would have to have fully marked ears, balanced nose markings, and preferably balanced markings.

Reactions: CraterCove

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This probably isn't going to be of much help, but here's my opinion. First off, if you are looking for showable babies, I would highly recommend staying away from a broken buck. Approximately 25% of the babies would be charlies, which are unshowable, no matter how good their conformation. I don't know rex/mini rex, so I can't help with any color preferences within the breed. What you might get with any individual buck will depend on the exact genetic makeup of each rabbit. With the otters, you will probably get black and black otters. With the selfs, you will likely get blacks. There may be a possiblity of chocolate and chocolate otter from any of the listed colors, but only if they carry chocolate. Clear as mud?

Do you know the colors of the parents of your doe and the possible bucks? That may help.

Biggest thing I can say is to look more at conformation and less at the color. Better to have a boring colored Grand Champion than a fantastically colored Frankenbunny.

Yes I know the colors of her parents. I have her pedigree. Her sire was a broken chocolate, her dam is blue. I don't have a buck in mind yet unless I get one from my friends litter that I already said.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
If her sire was a blue, then she also must carry blue. Her known genotype is aa bb C_ Dd E_ En/en

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is how her pedigree looks.

GG.Sire:
Variety: Chocolate

G.Sire:

GG.Dam:

Sire:
Variety: Broken Chocolate

GG.Sire:
Variety: Broken Black

G.Dam:
Variety: Broken Chocolate

GG.Dam:
Variety: Broken Black

My Doe...(broken chocolate)

GG.Sire:
Variety: Otter-Black

G.Sire:
Variety: Lilac

GG.Dam:
Variety: White
Dam:
Variety: Blue

GG.Sire:
Variety: Broken Lilac

G.Dam:
Variety: Broken Lilac

GG.Dam:

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
With a white in the pedigree, your doe may carry white as well. (her genotype would then be Cc). You won't know until you breed her to a white/white carrier and you get white or not. :)

What color of rabbits do you WANT to raise? What is your market? Breeding goals? Are you going to show or not?

You could breed her to any of those colors and get show colors. I would personally choose the buck that is most correct in conformation and complements your doe's weaknesses. What colors your future litters will be will depend wether or not the new buck you get carries chocolate and white or anything else hidden. :)

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Charlies cannot be shown in any breed and they have been known to have digestive issues. Some people have actually experienced nearly all charlies dying early like 1 year or younger generally from what looks like digestive problems. A charlie x solid does have merit because you can get all brokens but you don't know what pattern the solid is carrying (solids do have modifiers that impact the white on brokens) nor what pattern the charlie is carrying because it's been doubled up. It makes charlies pretty useless.

Avoiding the brokens a black or black otter would keep the color richer than blue might. It's suggested to breed most colors back to black occasionally. You could possibly get blues from the black versions out of that litter and your doe. Both have dilute in the pedigree or siblings so could carry it. Just depends which you like more or whether you want all selfs or some otters in the future.

·
Premium Member
6,430 Posts
Any self color would be fine, as in black blue chocolate or lilac. Any otter would also be fine. Get a solid, not a broken. If you choose white make sure the color history matches what I have suggested and that it does NOT have a broken parent. If it does, it might be a broken white and you need a solid. Also have the breeder help you choose something to compliment the body type of the rabbit you already have. You dont want 2 rabbits with the same body fault. Color comes second.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I finally got a buck for my doe. His a solid blue. And his beautiful. Will take pictures of him once he settles in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts