what causes this

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Skye, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Skye

Skye Well-Known Member

My goat gave birth this morning to a kid about three weeks early. Anyone know why this might happen? Anything I need to do or watch for in momma goat now? Thanks.

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

there can be so many reasons why a doe give bith too early.
    she might have ben butted or she might had gotten into something moldy. maybe she has an infection or a mineral deficency.
    the only way to find out is to send in material, either dead kids or placenta for testing. with only one doe abort it might not be worth it.
    if you want her to be in milk start milking her.
    sorry she lost the kid

3. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I am sorry your lost the baby. Has she gotten into anything that she should not have? I have to agree with the butting, could another goat have butted her?

4. Skye

Skye Well-Known Member

I had to carry her into the vet's office the 27th. Could that have done it? I am also concerned that she may not have delivered the placenta. How can you determine if it is out? I haven't seen one and she still has an odd discharge. This is my first kidding experience so any advice is helpful. Thanks.

5. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Why did she need to go to the vet and what did the vet say/do?

6. Skye

Skye Well-Known Member

She had mooshie poo. It wasn't runny but it wasn't the normal pellet. The vet checked her for parasites and she didn't have any. I didn't get a real diagnosis but she was put on penicilllin.

7. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

I lost a baby at 4 months pregnancy, after being on antibiotics. The doctor said sometimes the baby can have a reaction to the antibiotics. Maybe this happened with the goat also, sometimes we will never know what happened. Sorry for your loss, hope mom goatie is ok.

8. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Skye, do not try to blame yourself for this. It is something that just happened. I agree with the mama. Maybe it was he meds, but maybe not.