what causes that "burnt " look on hair

Discussion in 'Goats' started by JoyKelley, Feb 27, 2005.

1. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

I know I have read about this on the forum but what causes that burnt look on goats hair, is she lacking something or is she wormy. She is a black nubian cross and gave me quads 5+ months ago, she eats well, goat chow, grazes, brouses and gets hay and loose mineralsand baking soda, it is spring here in florida so I don't know if this is a natural event with shedding but her hair on her thighs has turning reddish brown in the last week.

any ideas

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I only know what I've read about this, but it might be a copper deficiency. Now I'll let some of the breeders who really know what they are talking about answer!

Kathleen

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

well it sounds to me like you are doing the right thing. SO I would say, that she is wormy. and that will make their coat change color, and seem courser, and not soft. so worm her, wait 10 days, and worm her again.
    I always wornm on the day of kidding. and themn two weeks later.
    hope this helps. also, IF she were one of mine, I would give a BO Es shot, 5cc's for a grown goat, and a vitamin b complex shot. have to get the BOse from th vet. and the wormer.

4. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Either a nutrient deficiency or parasites would probably be the most common cause. Since it appears that she is getting nutrients, I would also probably say a little wormy. A fecal sample test would be a good way to see if it is worms.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.

5. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

what you describe is a classic symptom of copper deficit. how much copper is in your loose mineral salt?
    susanne

6. rickdog

rickdog New Member

What do you mean 'burnt'? I have one that might fit that bill also. Her hair looks curled at the very tip. Like when you get the edge of a flash fire, only no hair is missing, just curled.
    Might this be copper?