What causes cabbage to be loose?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Abouttime, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Abouttime

Abouttime Well-Known Member

Picked my first cabbage yesterday-pristine, flavorful, but almost fell apart upon quartering-will they all be that way and what causes this?
    Thanks

2. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds immature, a loose head is formed first and then as the cabbage continues growing it becomes more tightly packed.

3. Abouttime

So then a cabbage head doesn't continue to grow in circumference as it matures, because this was a huge head-I was concerned it wouldn't be good it was so large.

4. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

Some varieties seem to be more prone to this, as while I haven't had this problem, I've seen variety descriptions in catalogs that make a point of saying how hard and dense the heads are.

5. Abouttime

For my purposes of cooking it, I think I prefer it as it was as the flavor and texture was excellent, however there's no way it could have been shredded for slaw.

6. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Check the ph of your soil. Cole crops prefer nuetral to slightly alkaline soils. PH of 7-7.5 If you add a little gin to the water a few times the plants will grow with much denser cells. Used in watering bulbs like paperwhites, it prevents them from growing too leggy and falling over. Bring a little ice and tonic to the garden on those hot days and you'll quickly become the friend of the neighbors too.

7. Abouttime

Is gin the only alcohol that will work?

8. woodspirit

I've heard of other kinds but Gin seems to be the one agreed upon. I can see it now in the the days of yore in merry old England when some guy comes home late and his better half is pouring out his drink into the garden, when others notice that so and so's plants aren't falling down. :shrug:

9. Abouttime

I was hoping they'd like a good scotch or boubon, so we (the plants and I) could indulge together!

10. woodspirit

yeah I've partied with a few vegetables.