Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure where to post this. I also posted it in pet forum.

My husband wants to get a pot bellied pig. We have seen a few adds in our area (Mich) for piglets whose parents are 45 lbs and 65 lbs. I have researched a little. I read that they have to be kept at 70 degrees. Is this true? They can't live outside? Heck, they couldn't even live in our house right now. It's so hot. Any other info would be great. Thanks.

Armeda

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Ours live outside year round and are doing great. Just make sure they have shelter, shade and water available at all times and they'll do fine.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! So I don't need to worry about the heat. I wonder about cold though. How much do yours weigh? Are they the cute little pets you thought they'd be? When I was researching, they said the ave. weight is 90 to 150 lbs. The ones I've seen around here are much smaller. Do you think it's not humane to breed pigs so small? I've read it affects their bone density. Just wondering if keeping them is ethical. They are cute and smart.

Thanks,

Armeda

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Feed is withheld to get those 45 - 65 pound PBPs. They don't live long.

With the small gene pool in the U.S., many PBPs are bred to hogs and can grow to 300 pounds.

Many pet PBPs are fed commercial feed, any junk the owner is eating and don't get much exercise. They're not as healthy as the PBPs raised on pasture or allowed to roam free.

Pets are lard pigs. PBPs raised for meat are bacon pigs.

Altho raised on pasture for meat, check out

http://www.windridgefarm.us/

Click 'Potbelly Pigs.'

·
Registered
732 Posts
well i have my first "piggy daughter" - or Lola, AKA - Princess Pigle ! She is a house pig, she is about 5 1/2 months old and weighs about 35 lbs - not sure if thats a good weight or not for a pbp at her age ( mom was said to be about 60lbs-anyone know how much bigger she will get ?), but she appears to not be overweight, which i'm paraniod about as i've heard it's the worst for a pbp - but she is definatly plump enough !

This is my first pig, and i'm learning a lot ! In winter ( we got her in Feb. ) we had to keep her warm and keep the heat turned up, now she definatly is much more tuff, however doesn't care for too hot of days - but her life is easy living in the house in front of a fan with water 24/7. However i do have to say, they are not for everyone as house pets, they are like a 2 year old, need lots of attention, get into things, can be brats and the list goes on - however i wouldn't trade her for the world, and never really knew how much a pig could steal our hearts :1pig: She is also like having a 2 year old in the good ways too, she is very cuddly, SMART ( very smart, can reason, and comprehend things ), sassy, has her moments, and really gives me love and happiness. She watches TV,likes going outside for walks, playing with the dogs ( tag and wrestling) loves to be sang to and have stories told to her, and does the CUTIEST happy dance when we come home !

I could really go on and on about her, so if you have other questions please feel free to pm me - they are not for everyone as a house pet, i really must say, however we don't have kids - have a house thats too big for just DH and I, so our kids are our animals, and we love them, good and bad, sometimes very trying moments - hehe.

Oh, i feed Muzri ( i think thats how it's spelled )a pbp food by Purina, and due to watching her weight, she doesn't get much "people food" but has yet still does get to try mouse-bite size pieces most of the time, which she really injoys, unlike the dogs that just scarf it - she will chew a tiny bit of something just as long as we do ! She also lives inside with our other "inside crew" three dogs ( all large breeds ) and two cats and does great with them, although can be a braty little sister, and is never left unattended loose with the dogs due to that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much! I really wanted to know what having a pbp would be like. Both the bad and the good things. Your piggy sounds wonderful! I will research and ponder some more. We just bought a new horse and pygmy goat buck and have tons of new poultry so have our hands full at the moment. But maybe some day.....

Armeda

·
Registered
51 Posts
As an indoor pet"Like a two year old" is a fair assessment. Screams and bawls when hungry, thirsty, or frightened and frequent "accidents". Babbles constantly and begs for attention and snuggling. DW loves hers, but I'm not a fan :shrug:

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
We got our first one Miss Sassy almost two years ago. She lived in the house and we had her house broke completly. But, then when it got to hard to pick her up ( which they usually don't like much) to take her out I had to let her be outside all the time. She was to heavy and she didn't want to go down the stairs because they had open slats. I also was afraid she would get a hoof caught in the opening. I will say I am sure she is way over weight. But even not over weight most healthy ones I have seen do weight much more than 65 lbs. I mainly feed her commercial pbp food and sometimes a snack or two but, when she was little she got too many snacks I think. Of course they are lazy by nature so she doesn't really get much exercise. We have a large hard plastic childrens swimming pool in the back for her and she just loves it. It is in the 90 plus degrees here and she is fine. During the winter it can get real cold at night and she has a huge dog house that we got from someone for free ( yippee) . Put hay in it and she loves to sleep in it and get out of the weather in it. When we got her, I asked everyone all about them and read up on them, I do have to agree with most. I think she is her happiest outside. They love to root and it is hard to root carpet. She loves to lay in the sun and play in the mud. I just got a second one for Mother"s Day and he was little little little so we kept him in the house for about two months because he would have been able to get out of the fence in the back and I was also afraid that Sassy might lay on him by accident. He was a joy in the house too but, he really seems to be so happy outside with Sassy now. He runs all over, plays in the mud, goes in the pool and tries to be a BIG boy with Sassy. He can't reach yet tee hee hee. They love to see me when I go out to them. So I guess it is all up to the owner. I was determined to have mine as a strict house pet but, I know they are happier now.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
=== As an indoor pet"Like a two year old" is a fair assessment. Screams and bawls when hungry, thirsty, or frightened and frequent "accidents". ===

I guess all pigs aren't created equal! I got a 4 week old Hampshire pig and raised him in my house. I housebroke him like a puppy. Snapped a leash to his collar and took him outside every 2 hours. I also pushed him in and out of the doggy door when I took him outside, altho he outgrew the doggie door in no time. He housebroke the first day, never did potty in the house.

I free choice feed and water is always available, so no problem there. The hog was quite gentle and very calm. Loved the belly rubs like any pig does. Never attempted to ruin anything in the house. He had an 8 foot round water tank, 1 foot high outside to cool his body. Didn't want a mud hole with him coming into the house.

The hog quit coming into the house on his own. He no longer could make the curve from the door into the house. He chose to roam the acreage with the rest of the livestock.

As an adult, he was 800 pounds and his back was 45 inches off the ground. He hitched to a cart and took me for rides. He was one of the best pets I've had and the only pig I've had that didn't wind up in my freezer.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Rogo, get out of here... you really were able to hitch him to a cart? That must have been a site to see. Way to cool! Do you have any pics of that?

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Sorry, no pics of my hog driving the cart. I'm not big on photos; I don't even have a camera.

A friend sent me a post card that looks like it's from the 1930's or 40's. It's a 4-up hitch of pigs driving a wagon.

·
Bedias, Texas
900 Posts
Rogo said:
Sorry, no pics of my hog driving the cart. I'm not big on photos; I don't even have a camera.

A friend sent me a post card that looks like it's from the 1930's or 40's. It's a 4-up hitch of pigs driving a wagon.

I asked someone about that yesterday, about pig carting. They stared at me like I was the first person to ever think of it. I thought I could have been, but there is nothing that HASNT been thought of! grin.

Ummmmmm so why arent my pigs lazy???? I'm having to bottle feed two right now (I lost their mom) and they are mad as all get out that they are in a box inside. Theyre ONLY 5" LONG!!!!! I'd loose them if I let them out into the livingroom and my LGD would probably swollow them whole if I let them run in the yard (that and I'd NEVER catch the little tinys!!!). grin.

When we first got Mrs. Piggy (a reformed "pet" pbp) she was so overweight that when she stood up (when she could GET up) you couldnt see ANY sunlight between her legs at all. My pigs are almost entirely grass fed and they do just fine.

And Mrs. Piggy is doing MUCH better now. She's lost alot of her extra BLAH, and loves to roam. She also doesnt look near as miserable as she did when we first got her.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you. This is so interesting! I can't imagine a pig pulling a cart either. That would be something to see! It does seem like they would eventually need/want to be outside and maybe just come in for visits. We have 3 dogs in the house and 1 is a great dane. We also have 6 cats so a pbp would really turn it into a madhouse!

Armeda

1 - 13 of 13 Posts